Speculation: Which team has "too many" centers to be traded for?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'm not necessarily on board with it, but I'd expect Zacha to be a trade consideration for NJ.

We'd need an LHD coming back, ideally of similar age and with top-4 potential. I'm not sure DET is in a position to do that... and, frankly, it's a niche trade that will be difficult for NJ to get good value back, which is why I'd prefer to hang onto Zacha.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I'm not necessarily on board with it, but I'd expect Zacha to be a trade consideration for NJ.

We'd need an LHD coming back, ideally of similar age and with top-4 potential. I'm not sure DET is in a position to do that... and, frankly, it's a niche trade that will be difficult for NJ to get good value back, which is why I'd prefer to hang onto Zacha.

NJ has already tried to trade Zajac once according to his agent. Zajac has a NTC and turned it down. That'll be an obstacle trying to move him.

Reactions: bernmeister

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Dallas has good centre depth

Seguin
Hintz
Faksa
Dickinson

With Dellandrea hopefully hitting the NHL at some point next season as a 4th line centre, will probably open a spot up.

With Faksa a RFA next season, hes the type of centre all teams need. Physical two way centre who shutsdown top lines.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
AZ have a lot of guys who can play down the middle. They dont have that much high end talent, but quite a bit of depth fwiw.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I think there's only two names on the market that could fit that bill. Turris and Johnson. Turris filled in for 1c in Ottawa when they didn't have one, Johnson had a 72 point season once upon a day. Both are on large contracts and have popped up in trade rumours lots lately but both are likely on the start of the tail end of their careers (29 and 30 years old).

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
DET keeps with the rebuild. Maybe pursue some reclamation/cap dump projects ie. Weinberg or Turris?

Never thought of Wennberg but I kind of like that idea. A skill guy who was once very good, relatively young, but very overpaid for his stats the last two seasons so would be very cheap to acquire.

Only 3 more seasons where we won’t be contenders anyways so it won’t hurt us if he doesn’t rebound.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I think Montreal would move Max Domi for the right offer.

He's cost controlled but he's having a bad year. Habs should either extend him at a discount and move him to LW and if he wants too much then label him as a 1C (realistically he's a 2C) and trade him

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Never thought of Wennberg but I kind of like that idea. A skill guy who was once very good, relatively young, but very overpaid for his stats the last two seasons so would be very cheap to acquire.

Only 3 more seasons where we won’t be contenders anyways so it won’t hurt us if he doesn’t rebound.

He badly needs a new team and with his 3.5 years contract being a Cap Dump, maybe could be had for a 5th Round Pick.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
He's cost controlled but he's having a bad year. Habs should either extend him at a discount and move him to LW and if he wants too much then label him as a 1C (realistically he's a 2C) and trade him

He's not even having that bad a year, just a less productive one. He got lucky last year points-wise (high shooting %) and has been unlucky this year (really low IPP). If Montreal had better health on the wings he'd probably look better.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

Caleb Jones is your man!

Reactions: DarthProbert

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Not seeing any actual high end pivots available, barring an unexpected chemistry problem with some guy wanting to go elsewhere.

Decent potential investments may be available, but I'm not seeing any atm, and they are not cheap. For example NYR could theoretically put a guy like Howden on the table, but they've already invested significantly in his development. Don't see a fit for most clubs.

What's left are guys like NYR's Strome -- worth keeping but prefer cap flexibility if return is exp drf exempt futures.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Tyler Bozak will be available in the offseason for cheap. Yeah he’s not young, but any team that needs a solid 3C, he’s perfect for that.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Well I can flat out tell you Detroit wont be trading for a 1A center and teams typically dont have a surplus of their top line centers. I dont think Detroit has the assets to get a 1A centre without decimating their prospect pool.

That being said, there's a boatload of 3rd line Cs that can be had in free agency every year so save your assets.

This is really the long and short of it.

There isn't really such a thing as having "too many #1Centers". Maybe you get a wild situation where an organization has soured on a guy for some reason (like Seguin), or has that...while the other team has an improbable "surplus" of "#1Defencemen" a la the Johansen for Jones swap. But it's just not really something that happens.

On the other hand...while there are always 3rd line Centers available in Free Agency. There can be something of value to just getting that hard matchups lockdown #3C in order to help "shelter" your young developing Centers from the deluge of goals against that can flood in if they're pressed into too much, too soon defensively. Those aren't always the guys on the UFA market. How much to pay for a sacrificial lamb in assets though...is murky at best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad