Speculation: Which team has "too many" centers to be traded for?

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Someone should've told Jason Botterill that you can't have too many talented centers before he traded ROR.

To answer the OP, not counting ROR, it's generally very difficult to acquire quality centers and the cost is usually high, see: Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen.

To be fair, nobody would have called ROR a 1a center until this past year. Up until he was 26 he was pretty routinely a 55-60 pts center with strong defensive play. Most would pretty easily say at the time ROR was a low end first line center or high end 2C

Probably similar to a nazem kadri. Had buffalo ever thought he was going to be a 70+ pt center this late into his 20s and be a conn Smythe winner it obviously would have never happened but hindsight is 2020 and there aren't many Gamble's left out there to think a player will suddenly become a 1a center when they never have been at 27 or older

Reactions: smitty10

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Detroit doesn't need to trade for 3rd line C imo. Best course of action is trade for a 2nd line center and run with Flip/Franz/Helm on the 3rd line until Rassmussen or Veleno develop. No need to give up assets for something the team can easily fill in.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
With Eric Staal and Mikko Koivu nearing the end of the road, MN will also be hunting for C's. They are praying that Khovanov works out in a couple of years...maybe Hentges and Sturm can be bottom sixers, if they are really lucky.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I'm sure it's unlikely, but I have to think Cirelli moves for a slight overpay (Miller type trade) if it's offered.

Not unless we’re forced by the cap (and Yzerman’s and BriseBois’s idiotic contractual decisions) to choose between Serg and Cirelli but yes, it’s a possibility.

As far as Johnson is concerned I could see us potentially being willing to move him, not because of any deficiencies on his part, but because Sergachev and Cirelli are simply more important to the future of the team. But I don’t see him wanting to move - he has been vocal about how much he loves it here. On the other hand he also has a sense of loyalty to the franchise since they took a chance on him as an undrafted free agent, and maybe if asked he would feel obligated to return the favor by agreeing to a trade. I don’t know, but in any event I would be sad to see him go.

Last edited:

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Too many Centers is usually a good problem to have.

But, team like Detroit would like to add a center, if they don't get it from the next draft.

Filppula and Nielsen are soon gone and Rasmussen/Veleno aren't sure things to pan out in the middle. Larkin is ok 1B and Glendening a good 4th. 1A and 3rd line centers are missing.

Which team has a surplus, some extra guys, mostly youngish?
Nick Bjugstad is available

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Tampa has like 7 Centers. Stamkos, Point, Cirelli, Gourde, Johnson, Paquette, Stephens.

Only ones potentially available in the offseason would be Gourde or Johnson, and that would largely depend on them waiving their NTC.

Aside from the “only if we absolutely have to” possibility of trading Cirelli to keep Sergachev, I could see Paquette being traded if we’re forced to pinch pennies in an effort to keep both of our key RFAs. But yeah, Gourde and Johnson (in that order) would be the first ones we’d look to trade if they could be convinced to waive, simply to free cap space.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Detroit is certainly missing that bluechip C prospect (I don't consider Veleno/Rasmussen to be in that category). If they don't win the lottery and end up #4 OA, they certainly have a few options (Lundell, Rossi.. a bit small for a #1C). If they draft in the top 3, Stutzle/Byfield are obvious choices.

Larkin is the perfect #2 C.

If they want to expedite things, Montreal has a few great young Cs, but I don't see them trading them before a few years when they see what they got. Tampa could trade Cirelli before he cashes in. They have Barre-Boulet/Verhaeghe (and obviously Stamkos) as good options for future #2C.

Last edited:

DC Comics

Dec 30, 2019
I think Montreal would move Max Domi for the right offer.
Agreed

Suzuki showed enough he will be a good center and Domi performance at LW is not great. However, Habs will ask for a top D prospect which I doubt DET will be willing to do

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
You could make a good case for Tampa, and that might be it. They've quality centers playing at wing. I'm not sure they're in any rush to shake it up, though. Playing natural scoring centers at wing is a wholly viable strategy... and this might poke a big hole in the central premise of the OP. Posit: You can't have too many good centers, as you can simply move them to wing.

Nashville has three #2Cs, two #3Cs, and no #1C, as usual.

They'd probaby like to deal a quality defenseman and one of their #2Cs for a #1C, but it's Poile, and he somehow or other won't close the deal. His season-long attempt to find a taker for Turris has been all for naught.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
You could easily argue that the Preds have too many centers for their own good.
Just the top 4 of centers are not optimally played
Johansen, Duchene, Turris, Bonino

Also Jarnkrok, Sissons have played considerable stretches in the position

FanTheFlames

Aug 20, 2017
Cgy has a few that can play C but i dont think you can ever have enough players that can play C.
Monahan
Lindholm
Backlund
Ryan
Bennett
Dube
Jankowski
Rinaldo

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You misunderstand. I'm saying the Miller trade was a slight overpay at the time. What is a slight overpay for Cirelli could be something altogether different.
I thought the Miller trade at the time was pretty fair value for both sides. Obviously you couldn’t have predicted he would be so good this year but it was predictable he would play better on a team with less depth where he’d be in the top 6. And he was on a great contract which has value.

On the OP’s question I think most teams with too many top centers just move one to the wing and use him as a top winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad