Speculation: Which team has "too many" centers to be traded for?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Too many Centers is usually a good problem to have.

But, team like Detroit would like to add a center, if they don't get it from the next draft.

Filppula and Nielsen are soon gone and Rasmussen/Veleno aren't sure things to pan out in the middle. Larkin is ok 1B and Glendening a good 4th. 1A and 3rd line centers are missing.

Which team has a surplus, some extra guys, mostly youngish?

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Well I can flat out tell you Detroit wont be trading for a 1A center and teams typically dont have a surplus of their top line centers. I dont think Detroit has the assets to get a 1A centre without decimating their prospect pool.

That being said, there's a boatload of 3rd line Cs that can be had in free agency every year so save your assets.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

But, team like Detroit would like to add a center, if they don't get it from the next draft.

Filppula and Nielsen are soon gone and Rasmussen/Veleno aren't sure things to pan out in the middle. Larkin is ok 1B and Glendening a good 4th. 1A and 3rd line centers are missing.

DET keeps with the rebuild. Maybe pursue some reclamation/cap dump projects ie. Weinberg or Turris?

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Nobody is giving you a 1A center

The closest thing the last time that happened was Seth Jones for Johansen.

And that's not turning out so well. Likely a mistake not repeated. Also, Johansen wasn't a 1A center, but Nashville was desperate for a center

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014

Brandon Sutter!!!!

He can come with 30goal scorer Eriksson all for a 5th

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Habs have Domi, Danault, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki and Poehling. Something has to give. That said, 2 of the 5 move to wing.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Nashville? Not young though.

Stastny might be available this summer, but again not young.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
There is no such thing as a surplus 1A or 1B center.

Montreal's probably got to many youngish centers (Domi, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Poehling) to develop them all as centers, but I doubt Detroit or any team offers enough to actually get them to move one (especially since Poehling and Kotkaniemi have been pretty uneven this year). Most teams just move guys to the wing.

Reactions: Chainshot

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
He's not a 1B center, and has been playing wing the last two years, but Tyler Johnson is a guy who could be available this summer if he's willing to waive his NTC. I think he would thrive in a new situation and would be a suitable #2C in Detroit, and there's an existing relationship with Yzerman that could sway him to waive.

There are probably better options on the market and I see him preferring to stay in Tampa, but it's a possibility.

1A centers are hard to come by outside of the draft. That could be your best bet. One of Stutzle or Byfield if the hockey gods are kind.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Tampa has like 7 Centers. Stamkos, Point, Cirelli, Gourde, Johnson, Paquette, Stephens.

Only ones potentially available in the offseason would be Gourde or Johnson, and that would largely depend on them waiving their NTC.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Tampa has like 7 Centers. Stamkos, Point, Cirelli, Gourde, Johnson, Paquette, Stephens.

Only ones potentially available in the offseason would be Gourde or Johnson, and that would largely depend on them waiving their NTC.
I'm sure it's unlikely, but I have to think Cirelli moves for a slight overpay (Miller type trade) if it's offered.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm sure it's unlikely, but I have to think Cirelli moves for a slight overpay (Miller type trade) if it's offered.
Yeah this is wrong. A slight overpay for Cirelli is way more than what Miller returned.

You don't trade players like Cirelli. You put letters on their sweater.

RandomJetsFan

Apr 19, 2014
manitoba
Wouldnt it be smart to grab a project c from the unsigned kids out there sure its not like getting a sensational 18 year #1 center that a lot of drafted centers seem to have, a tiny bit over aged but wouldnt it be worth the risk. I'd love to see the wings dip their toes in that pool cause they ain't going to make any noise with the current roster so give the "non pedigrees" a look.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Yeah this is wrong. A slight overpay for Cirelli is way more than what Miller returned.

You don't trade players like Cirelli. You put letters on their sweater.
You misunderstand. I'm saying the Miller trade was a slight overpay at the time. What is a slight overpay for Cirelli could be something altogether different.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Barclay Goodrow is your man for 3c.

Decent at faceoffs, defensively responsible, and currently has potted 21 pts to boot. He is only 26, still has a year left at 925. Also he has filled in admirably in our top 6 this year, although 3c is really what he should be.

Whatdya say?

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I don’t think they are going to find the centre that they need on the trade market. They are set up well long term though and I would bet money that Detroit is scouting Byfeild, Rossi, and Lundell hoping that one of these guys can be their future 1C or 2C. Say they draft 2nd; Byfeild, Larkin, and Veleno are a strong 3 down the middle. Pick up a vet 4C and they are golden for a long time.

Reactions: NNCbama

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Barclay Goodrow is your man for 3c.

Decent at faceoffs, defensively responsible, and currently has potted 21 pts to boot. He is only 26, still has a year left at 925. Also he has filled in admirably in our top 6 this year, although 3c is really what he should be.

Whatdya say?
Come on man he is by far a much better player on the wing

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Someone should've told Jason Botterill that you can't have too many talented centers before he traded ROR.

To answer the OP, not counting ROR, it's generally very difficult to acquire quality centers and the cost is usually high, see: Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad