Best Exclusives:

• Nintendo Switch

• PS4

• XBOX One

Results are only viewable after voting.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Agreed. It's just an important distinction to make. Exclusivity isn't fundamentally problematic, it's more just the monster that it's become in some cases.
No arguments there, but not something I appreciate either.

Fair. I'm a bit of a tech geek, myself.

I will say even someone who places a very high importance on how well a game runs (particularly when a game runs well on less-than-ideal hardware) such as myself still thinks quality of exclusives is probably the biggest thing when choosing a platform.

Exclusives tend to be some of the best games around (I'm sure not coincidentally). Unfortunately, that only means part of the market will get to experience them.

Last edited:
Reactions: robertmac43

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Fair. I'm a bit of a tech geek, myself.

I will say even someone who places a very high importance on how well a game runs (particularly when a game runs well on less-than-ideal hardware) such as myself still thinks quality of exclusives is probably the biggest thing when choosing a platform.

Exclusives tend to be some of the best games around (I'm sure not coincidentally). Unfortunately, that only means part of the market will get to experience them.
Well of course, that's why the concept exists in the first place-- everyone's at their mercy regardless of what the right thing is. It's tough to know how the equation works exactly, though. How much of it is consoles being good at finding the best developers and striking deals with them (having very little to do with why they end up good), how much of it is great games being made possible in part by these deals, and how likely would they be to get to the same backing from somebody else if exclusivity weren't a factor.

Reactions: Commander Clueless
Sep 19, 2008
ps4: the show (prior to 2021)

spider man

others

xbox: halo?

nintendo: mario shit

-----------------

Thus I rank em PS4 / Nintendo for the Mario stuff / Xbox

Yes, I agree, Xbox exclusives have been nearly nonexistent. Heard some studios were closing down too so PS4 is overwhelmingly better at exclusives than Xbox

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I waited for years for Sony to give me a reason to buy their console and it never really materialized, and if it's true that most PS4 games can be played on the PS5 then I'll feel completely justified in not buying one.

The Switch on the other hand just eats up time for me.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
PS4. I basically only play it for exclusives now.

3rd party stuff on Xbox One X.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I waited for years for Sony to give me a reason to buy their console and it never really materialized, and if it's true that most PS4 games can be played on the PS5 then I'll feel completely justified in not buying one.

Are you not into any of the exclusives? I feel like this is their best lineup yet and that they have done much better overall in comparison to the last generation.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Are you not into any of the exclusives? I feel like this is their best lineup yet and that they have done much better overall in comparison to the last generation.
The only game I was really looking forward to was Kingdom Hearts III and since it was multiplat I bought it on my Xbox One which I already owned. I played some of God Of War and I could see why it was so highly praised but I'm a mindless button masher so it didn't do anything for me. Same goes for Bloodborne.

Reactions: robertmac43

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
PS4 for me. but that is just personal preference. I think If I liked playing cartoonish/more vintage style like games I would of picked the Switch (not a knock at Nintendo, just dont know how to describe the games I have played.)

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
While we’re at it...the Xbox store (as a whole) is a huge letdown too. Especially when compared to the PSN.

IMO, anyways....

The interface in general is not my favourite on the Xbox One. I found the 360 to be much easier to navigate and it was overall a better layout.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Smash Ultimate is the most successful and important exclusive game this generation. It's already the best selling fighting game of all time and will have a much longer life and relevance than any single-player game as it continues to be an incredibly popular game in esports.

On the PS4 side I think Persona 5 is the crown jewel of their exclusives. Bloodborne is also probably great, just not for me. A lot of their other stuff like Horizon, Spiderman, etc. feels formulaic. I'm a little tired of the modern game conventions where everything turns into an open world game with light RPG elements.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
On the PS4 side I think Persona 5 is the crown jewel of their exclusives. Bloodborne is also probably great, just not for me. A lot of their other stuff like Horizon, Spiderman, etc. feels formulaic. I'm a little tired of the modern game conventions where everything turns into an open world game with light RPG elements.

While I agree with everything you said here, I think it is important to note that the formula exists for a reason - a lot of people really like it. Publishers really like it too, as it's easy to monetize/turn into a live service.

I will say that despite Spider-Man following the modern open-world formula (that can so often be boring), the awesome mechanics (particularly the travel and fast, agile combat) and, honestly, better-than-expected main story really elevated it for me. Granted, a lot of the "open world-isms" such as repetitive side quests were mostly left ignored in my play through.

In terms of something like Horizon, though, I'm right there with you. The formulaic approach really dragged it down for me, which is a damn shame considering the setting/world was gorgeous and interesting. Also, playing it immediately after playing Far Cry and getting bored with it did not help :laugh:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Smash Ultimate is the most successful and important exclusive game this generation. It's already the best selling fighting game of all time (unless you add up every version of SF2 ever released) and will have a much longer life and relevance than any single-player game as it continues to be an incredibly popular game in esports.

Most important seems like a stretch to me, it's successful no doubt, but it's just another Smash Bros. games. It's not like it's done anything new for the genre or was particularly amazing, it was just further refinement of Smash Bros. formula.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Most important seems like a stretch to me, it's successful no doubt, but it's just another Smash Bros. games. It's not like it's done anything new for the genre or was particularly amazing, it was just further refinement of Smash Bros. formula.

It's also a port form the Wii U which is last generation.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You probably should add up every version of SF2 released-- They essentially were the equivalent of DLC.

Spiderman the game is a lot like the MCU movies for me in general. Formulaic, shallow, mediocre storytelling/design/substance with high production values and trope-y crowd-pleasing elements and everyone goes nuts about them, even though they're really not very good in my opinion. To me it's like cheap, throwaway entertainment to go "weee" to and not much more.

A lot of people also like EA Sports games and their formula exists for a reason too-- I don't really see why it's an important thing to note. Doesn't mean there's much value to them.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Smash Ultimate is a port? Huh?

Also I was wrong previously, Ultimate has already outsold Street Fighter 2 in all its iterations.

I'm just saying it's not like it's some revolutionary Switch exclusive. It's a great game, definitely my favourite in the series as well as in the fighting genre. But it's not like it did anything to transcend the genre.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I'm just saying it's not like it's some revolutionary Switch exclusive. It's a great game, definitely my favourite in the series as well as in the fighting genre. But it's not like it did anything to transcend the genre.

I don't think any exclusives this generation really transcended the genre tbh. I adore Persona 5 but it's just a more refined Persona 4. Bloodborne got a ton of critical acclaim but it's not Dark Souls, which truly was a transcendent game that influenced so many others.

My reasoning behind Smash being the most important is mainly in the competitive scene. It broke EVO records for registration in its first year at the tournament. It has a massive base of players that will continue to play regularly for years and years. It will remain extremely relevant for a long time.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I don't think any exclusives this generation really transcended the genre tbh. I adore Persona 5 but it's just a more refined Persona 4. Bloodborne got a ton of critical acclaim but it's not Dark Souls, which truly was a transcendent game that influenced so many others.

My reasoning behind Smash being the most important is mainly in the competitive scene. It broke EVO records for registration in its first year at the tournament. It has a massive base of players that will continue to play regularly for years and years. It will remain extremely relevant for a long time.

Can't say I care about that, but the reasoning makes sense.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

That is fair -he game really did grab the attention of the competitive scene. I only wish the online was better so more could be done in terms of online tournaments and stuff. Connectivity is so darn inconsistent!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad