Which System has the Best Exclusives:

Best Exclusives:

• Nintendo Switch

• PS4

• XBOX One

Results are only viewable after voting.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
You know, having gone through most of the sony exclusives, I find it a bit overrated. They all just ape other games and feel by the numbers. On the other hand imo microsoft is a bit underrated.

Horizon, while the combat is super unique, its unrefined. It could be forgive, but everything else is just mediocre to awful. Ive repeated myself a million times on this game but in short, the quests and dialogue trees are like soulless copycats of Mass Effect and Witcher 3, the crafting, open world, and skill tree is like a shittier far cry and Assassins creed, and the climbing is like the uncharted games, where only a handful of brightly colored areas can be climbed. Im optimistic for the sequel still since this is Guerillas first try. edit: oh yeah and the story is all done in voice logs and holograms like a damn walking simulator. You have to stand there and listen to it or aloys dialogue will cut them off.

Spiderman imo is the best game, but it also heavily follows Assassins Creed and Batman, still great but youve played something similar if youve played the arkham games.

God of War, its really good but it feels like a more refines senuas sacrifice, which I really didn't like in the first place. It feels like youve got blinders on during any fight with more than a couple enemies. Still a solid game but nothing gamechanging, also, you only kill 2 gods the whole game and you really only meet 3. You're talking about thor and odin for the whole game and never even see them. It feels like the game is missing a dlc or something.

Bloodborne I've played for 200 hours, its a genuinely great game. I think Dark Souls 3 is a bit better (300 hours), it would be a million times better if magic wasn't completely useless in the game, but it is so its just bloodborne with shields.

Shadow of the Colossus I haven't played but the first one is one of my favorite games of all time so I assume its just as great.

Persona 5, Im sure its great but I already played DQ 11 for 100 hours I dont have another 100 hours to give to a JRPG

Nioh is on PC and sucks anyways.

Nier is obviously not exclusive anymore, neither is mlb the show though I never cared about that.

Uncharted 4 is great and I heard good things about the multiplayer but the game for me has always been something you spend a weekend on and return to the library/blockbuster, Little Big Planet and Dreams and those sorts of smaller exclusives: meh. MLB

Xbox I feel has the right idea for exclusives, games like Gears of War, Halo, Forza, Sea of Thieves and even non-exclusives like minecraft. Its almost a similar mindset to nintendo where you could never buy another game and stick with this one game with your friends. I think thats a far better attitude than to just develop big budget prestige titles like Sony has been seeming to be doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: bambamcam4ever

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I have noticed it has not been mentioned much and it makes sense after the rocky launch it had. but I would still have Days Gone up there on the list of Sony exclusives.

It's actually probably my second favourite exclusive at this point;
1)Spiderman
2)Days Gone
3) God of War/Uncharted 4

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Horizon, while the combat is super unique, its unrefined. It could be forgive, but everything else is just mediocre to awful. Ive repeated myself a million times on this game but in short, the quests and dialogue trees are like soulless copycats of Mass Effect and Witcher 3, the crafting, open world, and skill tree is like a shittier far cry and Assassins creed, and the climbing is like the uncharted games, where only a handful of brightly colored areas can be climbed. Im optimistic for the sequel still since this is Guerillas first try. edit: oh yeah and the story is all done in voice logs and holograms like a damn walking simulator. You have to stand there and listen to it or aloys dialogue will cut them off.

Totally agree with your sentiment here. I thought the concept of Horizon was really cool and Aloy as a character had some great moments; that being said the story could have been more upfront in the way it was told. The amount of times I pressed play on a voice log and either interupted a point from Aloy of vice-versa was beyond annoying.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Add Final Fantasy 7 Remake to the PS4 side which sold more copies it's first month than any other exclusive Ps4 game in history (Yes beating Superman and God of War).

Other consoles have to wait a full year to get FF7 Remake so at least for a year it's exclusive.

Another masterpiece.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Add Final Fantasy 7 Remake to the PS4 side which sold more copies it's first month than any other exclusive Ps4 game in history (Yes beating Superman and God of War).

Other consoles have to wait a full year to get FF7 Remake so at least for a year it's exclusive.

Another masterpiece.
I didn't even realize that was an exclusive, I would be surprised if it wasn't timed and square is not allowed to say. Though that begs the question, if it comes out on Xbox in a year, that means part 2 is likely at least 2 years away at least.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Yeah I agree with everything exepct Xbox having the best shooter. Maybe in terms of exclsuives, but in the grand scheme of gaming, Halo (I'm guessing this is what you were reffering to) is not as good as a lot of the other shooters on the market. On the other hand the exlcsuives of Switch and PS4 can compete with most of whats on the market.

To be honest, I don't know much about shooters (these days) or racing games (ever, really). :laugh:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It feels a bit sad to me that some people act like exclusives are a good thing and that it's a bad thing that Microsoft doesn't have many for Xbox. You shouldn't want exclusives, IMO. They're why you have to buy more than one console in order to not miss out on any games. They're why you can't compare a lot of games to see which console runs them best, which is probably part of the reason why Nintendo and Sony are so big into them, since it beats competing on performance. I'm a PC gamer and it sounds insane to me to have to buy 3 different computers in order to play all of the games available, yet that seems to be accepted by console gamers as a fact of life. I don't understand why more console gamers don't stand up to the practice and push for more multi-platform options, instead of pushing for more exclusives.

Exclusives are a good thing: they're games console makers sink extra investment into because the goal is to not just to make the most profit off the software software but rather to make the best game possible to help sell the console. There's a reason why the best games tend to be exclusives on the one hand while on the other large cross platform games tend to follow the same trends and end up as mass homogenizations.

Reactions: robertmac43

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Exclusives are a good thing: they're games console makers sink extra investment into because the goal is to not just to make the most profit off the software software but rather to make the best game possible to help sell the console. There's a reason why the best games tend to be exclusives on the one hand while on the other large cross platform games tend to follow the same trends and end up as mass homogenizations.
Exactly. Hell even games that arent exclusive anymore can trace back to being exclusives,
Theres no Dark Souls without Demon Souls, theres no Dark Souls 3 without Bloodborne, theres no Control without Quantum Break, etc.

Plus a lot of them are eventually released on pc or go multiplatform on next gen.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I think that this might be looking at things backwards. Instead of being good because they're exclusive, they're exclusive because they're good. Both Microsoft and Sony buy up and ink publishing deals with the top developers to make their games exclusive.

Also, plenty of the best games are not exclusive: Skyrim, The Witcher 3, Grand Theft Auto V, Red Dead Redemption 2, DOOM. Such games prove that they don't need big bucks pumped into them by the console makers to be great and it would not have been a good thing if any of those games to have been released on only one platform, IMO.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think that this might be looking at things backwards. Instead of being good because they're exclusive, they're exclusive because they're good. Both Microsoft and Sony buy up and ink publishing deals with the top developers to make their games exclusive.

Seperate discussion, but it can aslo be a detriment when a bigger company buys out a smaller developer and forces their own philosophies on them.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Gamepass is more of a system seller for me with Xbox than a specific game.
Yep, that's what sold me, a lifetime loyal Playstation fan, on the Xbox1. I wanted to play Overwatch with my GF and our friends on Xbox, but wasn't going to buy one specifically for that game. When I saw the library that Gamepass offered, paired with some of the deals they have it was an easy sell. Definitely worth it, I think.

edit for grammar

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Seperate discussion, but it can aslo be a detriment when a bigger company buys out a smaller developer and forces their own philosophies on them.

I find there tends to be an early sweet spot of creative power backed by big budget, followed by a good old fashioned milking, and then finally death.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

Also, plenty of the best games are not exclusive: Skyrim, The Witcher 3, Grand Theft Auto V, Red Dead Redemption 2, DOOM. Such games prove that they don't need big bucks pumped into them by the console makers to be great and it would not have been a good thing if any of those games to have been released on only one platform, IMO.
I think it's worth noting that while there's room to debate the value/harm in inking publishing deals with top developers that involve exclusivity, I think there's certainly a place for fully in-house exclusives such as Mario or Zelda games developed by Nintendo, which for the most part ARE motivated by console exclusivity rather than the other way around and would not exist in nearly as impressive a form if at all, if this were not the case. Beyond that, it's fair/deserved for them to make their own personally developed titles exclusive in order to sell their own console, in principle, regardless of what we benefit more from.

Beyond that, I think giving Xbox credit for not relying on exclusives and throwing support their way for that reason doesn't make a whole lot of sense either, because it's not like they're making a principled stance on not supporting console exclusives. They would do the same thing (and do) but are just incompetent at pulling it off as successfully in comparison. We shouldn't be rewarding that regardless of our feelings on exclusivity, IMO.

On an emotional level, I would far sooner have a desire to fully throw my support in with a company that is heavily exclusive but clearly understands and loves the art of making videogames like Nintendo than a soulless entity that tries to cash in on the market and happens to have a pretty bare drawer of exclusives because they barely seem to understand what a good game really even is beyond technical specs, like Microsoft.

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Do you have both, or was Gamepass enough to swing you off Sony entirely ?
I still have both systems, but The Gamepass totally sold me on buying the XBox. I currently only use it for Overwatch and Fortnite w/ my GF and Gamepass.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think it's worth noting that while there's room to debate the value/harm in inking publishing deals with top developers that involve exclusivity, I think there's certainly a place for fully in-house exclusives such as Mario or Zelda games developed by Nintendo, which for the most part ARE motivated by console exclusivity rather than the other way around and would not exist in nearly as impressive a form if at all, if this were not the case. Beyond that, it's fair/deserved for them to make their own personally developed titles exclusive in order to sell their own console, in principle, regardless of what we benefit more from.

Beyond that, I think giving Xbox credit for not relying on exclusives and throwing support their way for that reason doesn't make a whole lot of sense either, because it's not like they're making a principled stance on not supporting console exclusives. They would do the same thing (and do) but are just incompetent at pulling it off as successfully in comparison. We shouldn't be rewarding that regardless of our feelings on exclusivity, IMO.

On an emotional level, I would far sooner have a desire to fully throw my support in with a company that is heavily exclusive but clearly understands and loves the art of making videogames like Nintendo than a soulless entity that tries to cash in on the market and happens to have a pretty bare drawer of exclusives because they barely seem to understand what a good game really even is beyond technical specs, like Microsoft.

Yes, I've deliberately not mentioned Nintendo because their games are not what the debate about exclusivity is about, IMO. Certainly, as an internal developer, there's nothing wrong with them developing games for their platform alone, much like there's nothing wrong with Netflix or Disney+ producing content for their services alone. No one has a problem with that. Where the debate starts to occur is when the console makers only publish the games and buy up developers in order to make games exclusive that might not have been. Then, there's the more questionable practice where there's not really any relationship and one of them throws a whole bunch of money at an independent developer simply to buy exclusivity, like Sony did with No Man's Sky. The latter two practices are what I think of when it comes to exclusivity, and I'm not convinced that they benefit the gamer more than if all non-internally-developed games were available on all platforms.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
To be fair, though, Microsoft does dominate the console space on the tech level right now, so they excel at their soulless technology. :laugh:

I'm not arguing, but then someone could come back and say PS4 has the best classic turn-based JRPG (Persona), the best action adventure games(God of War/Spider-Man) etc. and Xbox has the best....shooter? The best racing game? Is that fair to say?

I guess it depends on type of game you enjoy and how you would prioritize it over others.

For example, Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey aren't my typical fare, although I do respect their quality and critical acclaim.

Like I said, I think both are great choices.
Gran Turismo Sport is miles ahead of any Forzas this generation.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yes, I've deliberately not mentioned Nintendo because I don't think that their games are relevant to the heart of the debate about exclusivity. Certainly, as an internal developer of games, there's nothing wrong with them developing them for their platform alone, much like there's nothing wrong with Netflix or Disney+ producing content for their services alone. No one has a problem with that. Where the debate starts to occur is when the games are only published by the console makers and we're talking about them buying up and inking publishing deals with the developers to make games exclusive. Finally, there's the rather questionable practice where there's not really any relationship and someone throws a whole bunch of money at an independent developer simply to buy exclusivity, like Sony did with No Man's Sky. The latter two practices are what I think of when it comes to exclusivity, and I'm not convinced that they benefit the gamer over a theoretical situation in which all non-internally-developed games are available on all platforms.
Agreed. It's just an important distinction to make. Exclusivity isn't fundamentally problematic, it's more just the monster that it's become in some cases.
To be fair, though, Microsoft does dominate the console space on the tech level right now, so they excel at their soulless technology. :laugh:
No arguments there, but not something I appreciate either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad