Best Exclusives:

• Nintendo Switch

• PS4

• XBOX One

Results are only viewable after voting.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Been playing more games due to the whole Covid thing these days. In doing so I have been going through each of the main 3 consoles trying to complete as many of the exclusive games as I can for this generation. It got me thinking about what console people feel has the best set of exclusives.

Here are some off the top of my head;

Nintendo: Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Pokemon, BoTW, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Mario and Rabbids, Xeno Blade, etc

Xbox One: Gears of War 4 and 5, Forza Horizon 3 and 4, Halo, Halo Wars 2, Sea of Thieves, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Sunset Overdrive, etc.

PS4: God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman, Days Gone, Uncharted 4, Bloodbourne, Last of Us Remastered, Infamous Second Sun, MLB The Show (Up until 2021) etc.

What are people's favourites and why?

Last edited:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Easily Playstation for me. Not into the type of games Nintendo puts out so that automatically loses for me. Some of the games Xbox has looks ok, but is definitely not a console seller for me. A big one that isn't mentioned is MLB The Show series with an exclusive to Sony although that is changing next year. If I wanted a good baseball game, I had to have a Playstation.

Reactions: HabsTown

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Nintendo and Sony are both excellent choices, and very close in my mind. Nintendo made up a ton of ground on PlayStation with Three Houses, in terms of my favourites.

I think Persona 5 wins it for PlayStation in the end. God of War and Spider-Man were standouts for me as well.

Microsoft has some good titles, but in terms of my type of game, Ori and Halo Wars stand out. The rest....not so much. Gears Tactics looks good though.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I feel like Xbox has lost it's pull factor. Is Halo really a system seller at this point? I wouldn't say to the same extenet it would have been on the 360. Gears 4 and 5 are both solid but again they are not system sellers and are not as good as some of the thirs person games on PS4.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
God of War is a masterpiece for PlayStation. Bloodborne is one of the best games ever, and the Last of Us was amazing when it came out, but I feel the gameplay has aged. The PS4 and Xbox are older than the switch so they have some history to pull on like Uncharted as well.

But man BotW and Mario Odyssey can't be ignored IMO. Easily 10/10 each even in the modern setting. Fire Emblem and Kart are great too, but there's definitely not the depth of quality exclusives. Typical Nintendo that the Switch lacks a large number of exclusives and relies on Zelda and Mario to carry it.

Most of the Xbox exclusives I'd be interested in also come out on PC so I never invest. Halo and Gears don't do it for me so I'll play Ori on my PC and skip the rest. Forza is fun but I prefer a silly racer like Mario Kart or Crash Team Racing. I haven't started Ori but I fully expect to be tremendously impressed. Beautiful game.

Depending on personal preference I think PlayStation has a solid argument, but Switch takes the cake for me. BotW and Mario Odyssey are uniquely great games. PlayStation has the greatest number of quality exclusives, but it can't quite edge the Switch because many of them are older. Xbox just loses handily unless you're a big fan of Halo or something the way I am of Zelda.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Nintendo and Sony are both excellent choices, and very close in my mind. Nintendo made up a ton of ground on PlayStation with Three Houses, in terms of my favourites.

It's tough to fight Nintendo in my mind. They have the best platformer, oe of the best Open-World games, and arguaby the best turn based Tactics game. Also all of there games outiside of the really big names are consistantly great. Almost everything they make is at least an 8/10 in my books, with some exeptions.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Xbox is a pretty terrible line of consoles in general, IMO-- I hate their philosophy. It always feels like soulless technology over substance with them.

I initially favored Switch early on (because they're better with Indies), and I'm actually disappointed with the exclusives now-- Everything still heavily revolves around Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey (which, honestly, even they seem a tad overrated to me, IMO), and the rest of their exclusives feel like very meh but polished childish nonsense. Why anyone gives a rats *** about Pokemon, Animal Crossing, or Smash, I'll never understand. Give us a great Metroid game and I could be swayed back though.

PS4 wins pretty handily for me. Bloodborne is easily my pick for the greatest exclusive between them, IMO, and then you've got things like God of War, anything Street Fighter, anything Fumito Ueda, etc.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Gamepass is more of a system seller for me with Xbox than a specific game.
That's a good point. It made it so easy to just get all of the Xbox exclsuives and play them. What ever else was there was a bonus in my mind!

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
BOTW is better than any game to ever appear on a Sony console. I've found I really only use my PS4 for multi-player games. Bloodborne is good, Horizon is fine, but so many of Sony exclusives are these story-based experiences, open world with not a whole lot to do, skill trees galore, and generic gameplay.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It feels a bit sad to me that some people act like exclusives are a good thing and that it's a bad thing that Microsoft doesn't have many for Xbox. You shouldn't want exclusives, IMO. They're why you have to buy more than one console in order to not miss out on any games. They're why you can't compare a lot of games to see which console runs them best, which is probably part of the reason why Nintendo and Sony are so big into them, since it beats competing on performance. I'm a PC gamer and it sounds insane to me to have to buy 3 different computers in order to play all of the games available, yet that seems to be accepted by console gamers as a fact of life. I don't understand why more console gamers don't stand up to the practice and push for more multi-platform options, instead of pushing for more exclusives.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
You shouldn't want exclusives, IMO. They're why you have to buy more than one console in order to not miss out on any games

I woud argue the contrary. Having exclusisves means companies need to be accountable and it creates an important element of competitoin between the brands. I would hate for Sony to have all of their games available to every system, it could have a negative impact in terms of the time and effort they put into their creations.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
It feels a bit sad to me that some people act like exclusives are a good thing and that it's a bad thing that Microsoft doesn't have many for Xbox. You shouldn't want exclusives, IMO. They're why you have to buy more than one console in order to not miss out on any games. They're why you can't compare a lot of games to see which console runs them best, which is probably part of the reason why Nintendo and Sony are so big into them, since it beats competing on performance. I'm a PC gamer and it sounds insane to me to have to buy 3 different computers in order to play all of the games available, yet that seems to be accepted by console gamers as a fact of life. I don't understand why more console gamers don't stand up to the practice and push for more multi-platform options, instead of pushing for more exclusives.

I honestly wish nothing was exclusive, and everyone had access to all games that would all run well regardless of hardware/platform of preference.

In reality, though, it IS a fact of life and it's a big factor in any gaming hardware purchase decision...including PC.

PC gamers attempted to stand up to Epic, but it hasn't stopped them making money hand over ass.

Also, while in an ideal world, multi-platform would be well implemented....in reality, it isn't. Part of the reason exclusives tend to be high quality is they are specifically designed towards a set hardware spec.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Xbox is a pretty terrible line of consoles in general, IMO-- I hate their philosophy. It always feels like soulless technology over substance with them.

To be fair, though, Microsoft does dominate the console space on the tech level right now, so they excel at their soulless technology. :laugh:

It's tough to fight Nintendo in my mind. They have the best platformer, oe of the best Open-World games, and arguaby the best turn based Tactics game. Also all of there games outiside of the really big names are consistantly great. Almost everything they make is at least an 8/10 in my books, with some exeptions.

I'm not arguing, but then someone could come back and say PS4 has the best classic turn-based JRPG (Persona), the best action adventure games(God of War/Spider-Man) etc. and Xbox has the best....shooter? The best racing game? Is that fair to say?

I guess it depends on type of game you enjoy and how you would prioritize it over others.

For example, Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey aren't my typical fare, although I do respect their quality and critical acclaim.

Like I said, I think both are great choices.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
To be fair, though, Microsoft does dominate the console space on the tech level right now, so they excel at their soulless technology. :laugh:

I'm not arguing, but then someone could come back and say PS4 has the best classic turn-based JRPG (Persona), the best action adventure games(God of War/Spider-Man/, the etc. and Xbox has the best....shooter? The best racing game? Is that fair to say?

I guess it depends on type of game you enjoy and how you would prioritize it over others.

For example, Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey aren't my typical fare, although I do respect their quality and critical acclaim.

Like I said, I think both are great choices.

Yeah I agree with everything exepct Xbox having the best shooter. Maybe in terms of exclsuives, but in the grand scheme of gaming, Halo (I'm guessing this is what you were reffering to) is not as good as a lot of the other shooters on the market. On the other hand the exlcsuives of Switch and PS4 can compete with most of whats on the market.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Not Xbox, it's PS4 or Switch but with the longevity of the system in question, I'd go for the Switch if you were looking for a new console, which is the ultimate reason to rate exclusives.

When you look at Nintendo vs Sony/Microsoft, you have to keep in mind that Sony and Microsoft are competing against each other like cars for the fastest, while Nintendo is trying to get the best km per litre.

Mario Odyssey, Animal Crossing, Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart, even Splatoon for a passable shooter.

Last edited:
Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad