Which Sabre is the most likely to rebound in 2018-19?

Which Sabre is the most likely to rebound in 2018-19?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
Definitely going with McCabe

Okposo we NEED to bounce back, and while i am hopeful im not expecting anything much more than what we saw last season.

McCabe on the other hand still has loads of potential in my eyes. He was banged up last season and never looked right. He gets to fly a bit under the radar heading into this season as well with all eyes on Dahlin. I think he has the chance to really surprise us this season.

This could be his Campbell 05-06 breakout type season IMO.

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY

Okposo we NEED to bounce back, and while i am hopeful im not expecting anything much more than what we saw last season.

McCabe on the other hand still has loads of potential in my eyes. He was banged up last season and never looked right. He gets to fly a bit under the radar heading into this season as well with all eyes on Dahlin. I think he has the chance to really surprise us this season.

It's funny how people turn on a prospect after a couple seasons. McCabe is a solid DMan, but when it's a schit-show around you how can anybody perform? He's not somebody you build a defense around, but he's a good complementary piece. We don't have much grit on this team, but McCabe can lower the boom.

mccabe laine hit - Bing video

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm not hopeful for KO - he was fully practicing and training by early July last offseason, it's not like he was in a hospital until September, and he only got worse as the season went on. I'll never place my bets on the already-slow late-20s winger getting his hands and legs back miraculously. I guess it could happen, but I'll believe it when I see it.

McCabe OTOH looked to be developing okay before the Laine hit, like he could wind up a legitimately good NHL 3rd pairing D-man and not a guy you just try to hide there. He was hurt last season, right? So I think he gets back on that track, at least relative to the rest of those scrubs (and Berglund, who I don'tthink has much to "rebound" from, he looked normal last year as far as I can tell).

Many players with a concussion and then follow up symptoms as severe as Okposo's usually take a long time to "feel right" for a lack of a better term. He looked pretty disjointed for the bulk of the season. A full offseason of proper training and recovery could very well help him get back on track. I don't think anyone is expecting his skating speed to improve much but his processing of the game should. Which was the main issue last year in a way it never was the year before. He may not recover to the player he was in 16-17 but I'm hopeful.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
It's funny how people turn on a prospect after a couple seasons. McCabe is a solid DMan, but when it's a schit-show around you how can anybody perform? He's not somebody you build a defense around, but he's a good complementary piece. We don't have much grit on this team, but McCabe can lower the boom.

mccabe laine hit - Bing video

It's funny how people stop evaluating a player as a prospect, and begin evaluating him as an NHLer in their 5th professional season...

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Sure... if we ignore that he has none of the unique skills that Campbell had and he doesn't have the benefit of a dramatic change in officiating that lent itself to those unique skills being maximized.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Seems like I agree with this poll and most posters tend to agree that Okposo and McCabe have more to offer than last season.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
Sure... if we ignore that he has none of the unique skills that Campbell had and he doesn't have the benefit of a dramatic change in officiating that lent itself to those unique skills being maximized.

Im not saying McCabe will become a Campbell. Im speaking more of breaking out in a way like Campbell did.

Campbell played a few seasons with Buffalo starting at a young age, looking good at times, bad at others. Never really stood out and expectations started to level off a bit with him. Almost becoming a forgotton guy. 05-06 season begins, some new faces come in on D, he settles into his new role and he breaks out at age 25.

McCabe’s played a few seasons now starting from a young age. There are some new faces coming in this season on D that will lead to less being asked of him. Seems like a perfect chance to break out. Also, he turns 25 in October.

Similar paths thus far, perhaps similar breakouts. That’s all Im saying.

Reactions: KevinC and DJN21

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I completely disagree. Beaulieu is the only thing keeping his processing at NHL speed from being the worst on our blue line.

I've never watched him be an objectively good NHL defenseman. I've only seen him look good compared to the worst of tank fodder.

Like I said, Bogosian is a good defenseman who helps this team when he's healthy.

I'm feeling good about my call for him to have a "rebound year." (less so for Okposo).

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Like I said, Bogosian is a good defenseman who helps this team when he's healthy.

I'm feeling good about my call for him to have a "rebound year." (less so for Okposo).
The knock on bogo has always been if he stays healthy. He racked up like 16 blocked shots and 2 fights just this weekend so I’m certainly cautious about him being an impact player for the season.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Can I give a vote to the entire D core?

Through 9 games they have just under 1.7 points per game coming from the defense. Last year they averaged 1.2. So their defense is contributing almost a half a point more per game so far, in addition to being way more sound defensively.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Can I give a vote to the entire D core?

Through 9 games they have just under 1.7 points per game coming from the defense. Last year they averaged 1.2. So their defense is contributing almost a half a point more per game so far, in addition to being way more sound defensively.

Steve Smith. :nod:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seriously for a moment, Larsson's season was excellent defensively. Love the takes in this thread. Would read again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad