Which Run was your Favorite? 2010 or 2014?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
2010 AINEC

2014 I wouldn't even consider a run. I'd cal it the year we beat the Bruins and that's about it.
2010 we did it by the skin of our teeth, 2014 we are actually a formidable team.

I think the "highs" of 2010 were better because we had nothing to lose but 2014 gave us a real taste of how it feels to be a contender.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
But you could say the exact same about 2010. Vanek is gone next year. Gionta/Pleks/Markov will be older or gone. Center position will not change much. I think in order for us to be competitive year in year out, some moves need to be made...just like in 2010. Gauthier needed to make some moves and failed.

Price (backup in 2010)
Subban (was only a rookie in 2010)
Pacioretty (was not there in 2010)
Galchenyuk
Gallagher

That's a young core we can build on.

2010?

Halak (ok, fine we though he was going to be our #1 goalie going forward)
Cammalleri
Gionta
Gomez

Really... you can't even compare.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
2010 we did it by the skin of our teeth, 2014 we are actually a formidable team.

I think the "highs" of 2010 were better because we had nothing to lose but 2014 gave us a real taste of how it feels to be a contender.

I agree with this, 2010 was much more enjoyable as it was a cinderella run. While 2014 really feels like we have a strong team.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

2010 everyone had written us off. We had NO shot against any of the teams we faced. To beat them the way we did was just magical. Cammeleri playing like a boss...The emergence of PK...Halak playing out of his mind. There was just a lot to like.

This year has been good, but this year is a better team with more of a shot. We had a lot of luck with Tampa's injuries and beat them. Boston, was a combination of luck and Price playing out of his mind. I enjoyed watching Price in the Boston series.

Rangers series is a letdown with Price getting injured and the team overall playing like poop. Seems like 2010's team was trying their ***** off while this year, there have been a lot of passengers.

The excitement in 2010 was just on a different level.

Nynja*

2010: we werent supposed to beat the caps, we werent supposed to beat the pens.

This one just feels like it was stolen when Kreider ran into Price.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Price (backup in 2010)
Subban (was only a rookie in 2010)
Pacioretty (was not there in 2010)
Galchenyuk
Gallagher

That's a young core we can build on.

2010?

Halak (ok, fine we though he was going to be our #1 goalie going forward)
Cammalleri
Gionta
Gomez

Really... you can't even compare.

Uh... in 2010 Gionta had 30 goals. Cammy was the king of the city. While Gomez wasn't much to be happy about, he still came off a strong playoff and a 60 point season. We were great in net. PK looked like the real deal. We had Hamr and Gill coming off strong seasons. The outlook at that time was quite good. Go read old posts from this board. Lapierre, Moore, etc... Just like how people talk about Weise and Bournival. Kostitsyn, Latendresse, Pouiliotetc...

There was a lot of promise back then. You know how Habs fans overrate damn near everyone.

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009
2014 : This year is more of a statement run.

2010 was more lolwut (MAB, Maxim Lapierre, Dominic Moore, Halak). The thing that was awesome in 2010 though is that a lot of the younger generations of fans never experienced cheering for their dear habs in a top 4 scenario.

This year it seems some fefans are bored because it's hot outside and they lost interest in nhl hockey (wtf? stanley cup anyone??).

Last edited:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
But you could say the exact same about 2010. Vanek is gone next year. Gionta/Pleks/Markov will be older or gone. Center position will not change much. I think in order for us to be competitive year in year out, some moves need to be made...just like in 2010. Gauthier needed to make some moves and failed.

I bolded players that were 25 and younger for both.

Top 10 scorers in 2010 playoffs (Halak/Price):
1. Mike Cammalleri
2. Brian Gionta
3. Scott Gomez
4. Tomas Plekanec
5. Roman Hamrlik
6. Andrei Kostitsyn
7. P.K. Subban
8. Marc-Andre Bergeron
9. Dominic Moore
10. Maxim Lapierre
Cammalleri was 28, Plekanec was 28, Moore was 30, MAB was 30, Gomez was 31, Gionta was 32, Hamrlik was 36

Top 10 scorers in 2014 playoffs (Price/Tokarski):
1. P.K. Subban
2. Lars Eller
3. Brendan Gallagher
4. Max Pacioretty
5. Thomas Vanek
6. Tomas Plekanec
7. Rene Bourque
8. David Desharnais
9. Andrei Markov
10. Daniel Briere
Price is 26, Desharnais is 27, Vanek is 30, Plekanec is 31, Bourque is 33, Markov is 35, Briere is 36

Key players are much younger.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
2010 everyone had written us off. We had NO shot against any of the teams we faced. To beat them the way we did was just magical. Cammeleri playing like a boss...The emergence of PK...Halak playing out of his mind. There was just a lot to like.

This year has been good, but this year is a better team with more of a shot. We had a lot of luck with Tampa's injuries and beat them. Boston, was a combination of luck and Price playing out of his mind. I enjoyed watching Price in the Boston series.

Rangers series is a letdown with Price getting injured and the team overall playing like poop. Seems like 2010's team was trying their ***** off while this year, there have been a lot of passengers.

The excitement in 2010 was just on a different level.

We had a lot of luck against Washington and Pittsburgh too. A **** ton of luck.

PK and Price are playing out of their minds too. PK is dominating out there. There's a lot to like this year too, even Weise and Tokarski are making a name for themselves.

You're a grass is greener type of guy, never satisfied. I want to win the cup as much as anybody, but I can see and accept success when it's right there in front of me. We're no the Sharks, this is the first time in a long time we've made it this far on MERIT. If we keep floundering between the 2nd and 3rd round, then sure, but as it stands this is a hell of a time to be a Habs fan.

2010 was a joke, Halak's rebound control was mitigated by astounding amounts of puck luck - and everyone seems to forget that Halak was pulled in two games, and benched for two others. He was only lights out, unbelievable good in like ~3-4 games. We had that many great games in this playoffs as well.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This one because I felt we deserved to be here. I felt we were a legitimately good team and a legitimate threat to do something in the East.

Going into this series I really felt like we were going to go to the final and might actually have a shot (albeit a longshot) at winning a cup. When Price went down it was crushing but I still felt like we could win this series.... (And who knows? Maybe we still will...)
Never would've believed we'd beat Washington... let alone Pittsburgh.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
I'd go with 2010.
We beated Washington AND Pittsburgh.

This year we beated Boston.
TBL was a free pass with Bishop injury.

With Price healthy this round, It would've been 2014.

Against the Rangers, its like 2010 but without halak and luck

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Hopefully 2014 is a sign of things to come, we have a good GM and lots of young talent in the organization, I am hopeful for the future and by the way this run is not over yet.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

You knew in 2010 that the tank would eventually run empty. Before the Price injury, I thought we had a legitimate shot at the cup. We still do, we're not eliminated yet, but you get what I mean.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
This one because I felt we deserved to be here. I felt we were a legitimately good team and a legitimate threat to do something in the East.

Going into this series I really felt like we were going to go to the final and might actually have a shot (albeit a longshot) at winning a cup. When Price went down it was crushing but I still felt like we could win this series.... (And who knows? Maybe we still will...)

With you all the way man.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

PK and Price are playing out of their minds too. PK is dominating out there. There's a lot to like this year too, even Weise and Tokarski are making a name for themselves.

You're a grass is greener type of guy, never satisfied. I want to win the cup as much as anybody, but I can see and accept success when it's right there in front of me. We're no the Sharks, this is the first time in a long time we've made it this far on MERIT. If we keep floundering between the 2nd and 3rd round, then sure, but as it stands this is a hell of a time to be a Habs fan.

2010 was a joke, Halak's rebound control was mitigated by astounding amounts of puck luck - and everyone seems to forget that Halak was pulled in two games, and benched for two others. He was only lights out, unbelievable good in like ~3-4 games. We had that many great games in this playoffs as well.

There was just as much luck (maybe even more) this year than in 2010 and there's nothing wrong with that. You need some luck to go far in the playoffs.

Habs have gotten the best matchups this year. They didn't get that in 2010. No injuries to key players on the opposing teams either.

There's always "promise" after a team overachieves in the playoffs. I'm not a grass is greener guy, either. It's usually the opposite. I really don't care about merit either. I want to win. In 93, Habs got lucky as hell, and I have no problems with it.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
I bolded players that were 25 and younger for both.

Top 10 scorers in 2010 playoffs (Halak/Price):
1. Mike Cammalleri
2. Brian Gionta
3. Scott Gomez
4. Tomas Plekanec
5. Roman Hamrlik
6. Andrei Kostitsyn
7. P.K. Subban
8. Marc-Andre Bergeron
9. Dominic Moore
10. Maxim Lapierre
Cammalleri was 28, Plekanec was 28, Moore was 30, MAB was 30, Gomez was 31, Gionta was 32, Hamrlik was 36

Top 10 scorers in 2014 playoffs (Price/Tokarski):
1. P.K. Subban
2. Lars Eller
3. Brendan Gallagher
4. Max Pacioretty
5. Thomas Vanek
6. Tomas Plekanec
7. Rene Bourque
8. David Desharnais
9. Andrei Markov
10. Daniel Briere
Price is 26, Desharnais is 27, Vanek is 30, Plekanec is 31, Bourque is 33, Markov is 35, Briere is 36

Key players are much younger.

Why does age matter and why is 25 the cutoff mark? The Habs were an older team in 2010. They were a team built to win in the present, not this year's team which has been a rebuild on the fly. Go back and read threads. People were losing their minds talking about how good we'd be in the future and how we can flip Price or Halak for an elite player.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
2014 because goaltending was not paramount in winning. Halak stole two series. Habs won the first two series and they outplayed the opponent in 2014.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
2010 felt a lot more special, personally. Halak was out of this world, and coming back to win it against the Caps in 7 and beating the Pens afterwards in 7 as well was just insane. It felt surreal.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
2014. Mostly because of what Lafleur Guy said. We had a very good chance in every series. The team is a lot more solid than the one in 2010. 2010 was filled with A LOT of LUCK. Like A LOT! I'm not saying 2014 wasn't filled with luck, because there was a lot of luck involved (Bishop and Bruins hitting 16 posts?), although it seems our luck is running out.

So 2014 has to be my favorite. I dont want it to end.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
The 2010 team was a putrid 88 point team that should not have even made the playoffs.

Basically a carnival shooting gallery with Halak being the target. This feels legit by comparison.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
This year has players I actually like and I still have faith in this team even though we're down. 2010 had too much midget, too much Gomez and WAY too much Martin.

Saintpatrick*

This one because The Habs took out the heavily favoured Booins.....

Yep for sure this run for that reason. I think if Price was healthy the Rangers series would have turned out alot differently.

greyboy67

Feb 11, 2004
I'm old school. I don't have any "favorite" runs that don't end with the Habs hoisting the Stanley Cup.

My personal favs:

1971. Knocking off the Bruins behind a fresh-from-Cornell Ken Dryden. Coming back from 0-2 deficit to win Game 7 of the Finals against the Blackhawks. Jean Beliveau's last season.

1973. Larry Robinson's and Steve Shutt's rookie seasons. Frank Mahovlich's and Marc Tardif's last season as Habs. Another Final win over the Blackhawks.

1976. Habs win the Final in four straight over the Philadelphia Goons (Flyers). Lafleur flying down the wing, blond hair streaming.

1977. Possibly the greatest team in NHL history. 60-8-12; 132 points—still the NHL record. How good was that team? 2 defenseman (Guy Lapointe, Larry Robinson) each put up over 75 points. The goal differential was sick—Montreal tallied 387 goals and gave up only 171, both league bests. Oh, and they swept Boston in the Finals, 4-zip.

1986. Back on top after 7 years without a title. Saint Patrick. The little Viking, Mats Naslund. The last cup for Bob Gainey and Larry Robinson. Chris Nilan's only ring. Roy's magical OT against the Rangers.

1993. Seven more years before Montreal brings the cup home again—back in the day that was a long time for Habs fans. Who would have imagined the Canadiens would go another 20 years (and counting) without any silverware? All those OT wins. McSorley's stick infraction and Desjardin's hat trick in Game 2 of the Finals. A guy from my home town—John Leclair—cements his place in history with 2 extra-time goals. More magic from Roy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad