GDT: Which players disappoint you the most at the 2024 World Junior Championships?

GetBentDotCom

Jan 22, 2020
7 points in 6 games and had a key goal today.
Dude, even you could’ve tapped that feed in. The team has scored all tournament long so guys are going to have points. He just hasn’t stood out much like a fourth overall would/should playing against his peers.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Kokko-Kakka (sorry, lame one). Kulonummi, Salin, Kaskimäki, Keskinen (not that bad but expected more). Pulkkinen was decent but I do think he got a lot more praised than he actually deserved to be.
Väisänen nervous and sloppy with the puck as many other Finnish D's.

Hämeenahos presence, not bad by any means but just didn't impress me enough. Not good enough frankly. Compared to a younger Helenius who still has a lot of time to become a leading player and wasn't much worse.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Salomonsson
i hated the pairing with ASP as a whole at even strength

of the few shifts where sweden got running around in their own zone through out the tournament. It was literally always that pairing.
It was either the forwards having to clear the puck or the goalie making a save that was gonna help that pairing out, because they couldnt do it themselves to break up an offensive zone shift against

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Yeah, the Sharks definitely should have taken a player who told them he didn’t want to play for them. That would have been smarter.
Imagine being held hostage by a teenager. You really think he’s going to stay in Russia for less $?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Imagine being held hostage by a teenager. You really think he’s going to stay in Russia for less $?
Believe it or not, money isn’t everything. There are states in this country I wouldn’t move to if you paid me 10x my current salary.

Also, I don’t want a player on my team who doesn’t want to play for my team. Insane that you would.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Believe it or not, money isn’t everything. There are states in this country I wouldn’t move to if you paid me 10x my current salary.

Also, I don’t want a player on my team who doesn’t want to play for my team. Insane that you would.
Could draft him and then trade him. You pick the best player, because the best player has the highest value.

• Haha
Reactions: Groo and MNRube

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Dude, even you could’ve tapped that feed in. The team has scored all tournament long so guys are going to have points. He just hasn’t stood out much like a fourth overall would/should playing against his peers.
I feel like you can see the talents and things that got him drafted highly but he seems a bit...raw? Like he is still going to need to learn how to translate that to the NHL level

But he is a good player at this level so far

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
Could draft him and then trade him. You pick the best player, because the best player has the highest value.

You draft Michkov to trade him for an eventual return like... an 18 year old Will Smith?

Love him or hate him, he wasn't a mega huge reach. Columbus had him third on their board after Bedard and Fantili, and whether the Sharks took him there or not he would have been off the board shortly after.

I think the discourse on him has been slightly harsh.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Teams will low-ball you if they know you have no choice but to trade a player, especially one unproven in the NHL. And if Michkov doesn’t want to sign a contract with the Sharks, then you’re only trading his rights and his value is even less.

Never mind how idiotic it would be to draft a guy at 4th overall with the intention of trading him. There’s no way anyone would trade a prospect for Michkov that’s anywhere as good as Michkov.

Sharks were unlucky, 4th overall was the worst place to be in that draft. They did the best they could. Smith is very physically underdeveloped right now, but his brain, puck-skills, and offensive instincts are high-end. Whether or not he pans out will completely depend on his commitment to getting stronger and faster.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00