GDT: Which players disappoint you the most at the 2024 World Junior Championships?

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
You haven't watched the 2024 World Junior Championships yet, you watched one game.

I suppose I am okay with a thread titled "who had a bad game today", that would be interesting.
There is a thread like this one every year on the forum and I watched all 4 games today. And you ?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There is a thread like this one every year on the forum and I watched all 4 games today. And you ?

I watched all day.

But guys will be up and down game to game.

It's dishonest to present what you saw in one game as if it is a summation of how they played in the tournament.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
I watched all day.

It's dishonest to present what you saw in one game as if it is a summation of how they played in the tournament.
This is What i wrote:I wouldn't say he's disappointing but he had a bad performance today.
I agree that the evaluation of players varies from one game to another but we are on this forum to discuss hockey. If you don't like this one, there are others....

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Minten doesn't belong. Character guy i guess but nothing else. Disappointed he was even selected to Team Canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevins

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was shocked two Leaf guys made the Canadian team and one named captain almost entirely because the Leafs have no depth and are looking for forwards that can add a little jump to their bottom 6.

Cowan has had a good season, and probably earned his spot. But he's also a late first in his 18 year old season. Those guys rarely make team Canada. I think nearly making the Leafs pushed him over the line.

Minten being named captain is all types of being fooled. He's not an NHL'er this year, whether he got some games or not. He might be a bottom 6 player in the future. He also might not. I've not really seen this great improvement the Leafs talk about. He's the average second round pick. Not to say he has no case to make team Canada in his 19 year old year, but the NHL games definitely made him a lock, it probably shouldn't have, and I think the NHL games might've made him captain. You're going to end up with one of the least successful NHL careers from a Canadian captain at this tournament.

Sorry, I had to say it. I'm not anti-Leafs, but this is what I've noticed.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I was shocked two Leaf guys made the Canadian team and one named captain almost entirely because the Leafs have no depth and are looking for forwards that can add a little jump to their bottom 6.

What in the actual hell are you talking about lol

The Leafs are the second best offensive team in the league. The notion that if they were actually good enough to make a junior team then they would be playing in the NHL is just really bizarre. They are not really searching for forward help. Nick Robertson is at a 0.45 PPG playing 10 minutes a night with no PP time. Max Domi is at 0.58 PPG playing less than 13 mins a game. Calle Jarnkrok is at 0.54 PPG. That's the 3rd line. They've been quite productive on a per minute basis. They don't play big minutes or get much PP opportunities because when you have guys like Nylander and Matthews, you ride them.

Their 4th line centre is great defensively and makes $2.4M so he's not going anywhere. Realistically the only roles open would be those occupied by Bobby McMann and Noah Gregor, but putting your top prospects in poor positions to succeed on the 4th line instead of allowing them to flourish in junior seems pretty misguided.

You're going to end up with one of the least successful NHL careers from a Canadian captain at this tournament.

Sorry, I had to say it. I'm not anti-Leafs, but this is what I've noticed.

You're so HFBoards-pilled you actually think Team Canada should give a shit about the pro future of their captain instead of who's actually best equipped for the role in this moment (something you would have no way of knowing).

Last edited:

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Sounds like Dvorsky may not be impressing?
He’s been a beast on the faceoff dot but hasn’t shown much on the score sheet for sure. I haven’t watched the game from this morning but he was OK against Czechia.

Not sure why he’s on the point on the PP but it doesn’t seem like the best place for him to use his excellent shot/one timer.

Reactions: FlyguyOX and Nevins

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Sounds like Dvorsky may not be impressing?
I haven't watched this morning's game yet, but yesterday I thought he was much better than what many are saying. Dvo was "quiet" and didn't have "great" game, but he was faceoff beast, he drew 2 penalties from being deprived on point blank chances, had a great chance to score off quick release/redirect that he got stoned on, and made a beautiful pass that might have been goal if Misiak didn't take 45 seconds to dust it off before shooting. He looks so much more comfortable and involved than he did a year ago at this tourney. I expect he will make bigger impact as tourney goes on, as he did last year at u18s.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Poitras is either gripping his stick way too hard or completely coasting. To this point, he looks nothing like the guy who has excelled in limited minutes with the Bruins. Savoie also is not head and shoulders above the competition as I would expect from a guy who nearly made the Sabres.

Canada’s going to need those two to wake up if we’re going to win gold.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Fraser Minten, didn’t do a whole lot in the pre tournament games once separated from Celebrini and Dumais, took a stupid slew foot yesterday that a captain shouldn’t be taking
It's early but to me he has been less impressive than I expected.

Allard on the other hand is kinda doing what I expected Minten to do.

Lots of time left.

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
I watched all day.

Omg who cares man. You know exactly what this thread is. Let people talk about hockey on the hockey forum and stop trying to police thread ideas. There's a post like this in every thread on this site and it's so stupid. Give it up.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
So you're telling me that moving to the OHL when he was struggling in the SHL probably didn't help him improve?
You're having a tough day today. The concept that playing with players his age while his body matures isn't a bad one. He's been playing well in the OHL and seems to have his confidence. Thought he was solid in both games.

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
I'm a little disappointed with Owen Beck's low offensive production. yes he is dominant in the faceoffs but I expect a little more from him...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad