GDT: Which players disappoint you the most at the 2024 World Junior Championships?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Bystedt's performance goes to show how Carlsson really elevated him last year. I knew that but still expected him to be better.

M.Hävelid somebody I expected much more from.

Reactions: Eegs and Sliptip

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Snowman(Hrabal) and Kulich.
Kulich? He is the best scorer in the tournament, almost 2 pts per game.
IMG_4815.png

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Believe it or not, money isn’t everything. There are states in this country I wouldn’t move to if you paid me 10x my current salary.

Also, I don’t want a player on my team who doesn’t want to play for my team. Insane that you would.
The Bay Area is not a part of the US or Canada that has to worry about that. He would’ve caved after a few years in KHL. You have a few years to build a solid core around him and worst case you start a bidding war between LA, East Coast, Chicago and Florida teams.

He is not going to miss out on playing against the world’s best just because he wants to live in Philly instead of San Francisco. An obvious bluff IMO

• Haha
Reactions: Groo

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He redeemed himself in the medal round. But I’d be concerned that he looked no more explosive than Perreault, Nazar, Brindley etc

Michkov would’ve had 20 points in the WJC
it's hilarious that by being in Siberia Michkov has taken on mythical status. He is still small winger without great speed. Tremendous skill, but it's no certainty that he becomes impact player. Sharks made the smart pick, taking highly skilled center who can mature at bc.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The Bay Area is not a part of the US or Canada that has to worry about that. He would’ve caved after a few years in KHL. You have a few years to build a solid core around him and worst case you start a bidding war between LA, East Coast, Chicago and Florida teams.

He is not going to miss out on playing against the world’s best just because he wants to live in Philly instead of San Francisco. An obvious bluff IMO
Again, it really depends what you value. San Jose is not exactly a popping area for a young person.

Don’t pretend like you personally know Michkov. I’d put more trust in an NHL staff who spoke to him or his representatives than blind assumptions.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
There's probably several already mentioned who in perspective to their pedigree and draft position were bigger disappointments, but Oliver Moore didn't impress me at all. I was a big fan of his in his draft year and figured he'd eventually take it to another, bigger level, but I don't see it now.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
it's hilarious that by being in Siberia Michkov has taken on mythical status. He is still small winger without great speed. Tremendous skill, but it's no certainty that he becomes impact player. Sharks made the smart pick, taking highly skilled center who can mature at bc.
He went toe to toe with Bedard at the U18s the last time they played the same competition. And now he’s producing at record levels in the KHL.

He’s earned his mythical status. Sounds like you just aren’t up to date with his resume. There are a couple Smiths in every draft

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Rinzel was mildly disappointing. Chesley wasn't great at times but I expected that because Gophers fans had concerns with him to start this season.
I actually liked Chesley. He isn’t graceful at all and seems like he’s always falling but he erased a lot of opportunities.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
For Sweden:

Goalies
Both fine, overall

Defense
Mattias Hävelid - defensively, he is still inconsistent
Anton Johansson - has looked good in the SHL, but was outperformed by Lindstein and became the extra D
Axel Sandin Pellikka - heck, he has been one of the top D in the SHL this season, was not close to that level in the tourney.

Forwards
Filip Bystedt - just an average performance
David Edstrom - started well, but expected more.
Fabian Wagner - good on the penalty kill, but thought he would be able to contribute in more ways
Liam Öhgren - cannot complain about his work-ethic, but he should have played on a different line. Preferably with Östlund and Lekkerimäki. Often when he entered the offensive zone with speed, he had no one to pass it to.

No Swede had a lousy tournament, but I had higher expectations on the above players

Reactions: Nevins and Eegs

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
For Sweden:

Goalies
Both fine, overall

Defense
Mattias Hävelid - defensively, he is still inconsistent
Anton Johansson - has looked good in the SHL, but was outperformed by Lindstein and became the extra D
Axel Sandin Pellikka - heck, he has been one of the top D in the SHL this season, was not close to that level in the tourney.

Forwards
Filip Bystedt - just an average performance
David Edstrom - started well, but expected more.
Fabian Wagner - good on the penalty kill, but thought he would be able to contribute in more ways
Liam Öhgren - cannot complain about his work-ethic, but he should have played on a different line. Preferably with Östlund and Lekkerimäki. Often when he entered the offensive zone with speed, he had no one to pass it to.

No Swede had a lousy tournament, but I had higher expectations on the above players
Didn’t ASP win D of the tournament?

I don’t watch him in the SHL and have only seen clips of him, but it seems strange to post an 18yo D who won best D as a disappointment?

Maybe my expectations of him were too low to begin with though?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
it's hilarious that by being in Siberia Michkov has taken on mythical status. He is still small winger without great speed. Tremendous skill, but it's no certainty that he becomes impact player.
The chances he doesn't become a great player in the NHL is more likely geo-political related than that he's a small winger without great speed. Bedard is a small center without great speed.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The chances he doesn't become a great player in the NHL is more likely geo-political related than that he's a small winger without great speed. Bedard is a small center without great speed.
perhaps. i'm not saying he can't or won't make it, but how many small wingers without great speed become big stars? he may be special enough to do so, but everyone here acting like it is a sure thing when reality is that he carries with him certain amount of risk and taking a potential #1 center (or potential top pair defenseman) over him wasn't unwarranted.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I expected more points from Sale but, it turns out, he played hurt.

Hrabal got us to the Semi's and is a hero for that! However, he let in so many weak goals too. I'm a huge Hrabal fan and think he'll learn from this and come back as a better 19 year old. That glove hand is weak though and I hope they are throwing things at his glove in the NCAA every day and night.lol

Reactions: Nevins

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
still, michkov managed to score 3 goals in 2 games 2 years ago. 2 years later smith had 4 in 7. ouch

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
still, michkov managed to score 3 goals in 2 games 2 years ago. 2 years later smith had 4 in 7. ouch

Mitchkov is the better prospect, no doubt…

But your numbers from a minuscule sample size are totally irrelevant.

May I remind you that Thomas Hertl had 4 goals in his 3rd NHL game?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I don't think any American players were disappointing per se unless your expectations were miscalibrated. Certain players may have underperformed in certain areas or were inconsistent, but the team was 9 for 9 in wins for a reason.

I was more surprised by things than disappointed. For example, I expected Hutson to be more dominant offensively but he was still very good overall.

RInzel would probably be the biggest qualifier as a disappointment since casual observers would expect more because he's a late first-round pick and he didn't have a great tournament. But he's still pretty raw, so his performance wasn't all that surprising.

Reactions: Nevins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad