Which player was feared more Stevens vs Kronwall

pacehimself

Oct 5, 2008
F Stevens....so ya, Scott Stevens is the Answer. Any time you played the devils you feared for the safety of your players...glad they got rid of predatory hits (or are doing there best to limit them)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Kronwall is one of the greatest hitters of all time and probably the best since Stevens retired but this answer is Stevens. Biggest hitter ever and probably the scariest player to ever play the game between the whistles

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Stevens! My young nephew didn’t know about Stevens so I showed him some of his biggest nastiest hits and these were his reactions...
A14257AD-5D62-4432-B29D-2737383374CB.gif

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
I just found it intetesting I randomly came across a 20 minute vid of Kronwall hits. Noticing the similarities to Stevens, I could only find a 9 minute vid of hits via a quick search. Half of which isn't even hits. Hence the question
You really think thats due to output and not, ya know, technology? Stevens starting playing in an era when the NHL had no national tv contract, as opposed to now with the youtube age and every game being shown on local/national tv

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Wasn’t there a stat that despite all the hits, he never once in his long career received an elbowing penalty? His hits were dirty by today’s standards, but back in the 80s and 90s, if you laid somebody out like that, you got a high five from your teammates and a spot on a Don Cherry Video. If you got hit like that, you were reminded it was your own damn fault for not keeping your head up. Simple as that. Different time.
He had 4 elbowing penalties in his career. Notable because at the time, that was the complaint against him (It was an elbow!)

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Out of the top 10 clip posted in this thread, like 8 or 9 of them deliberately targeted the head. He hit to concuss and he knew what he was doing.

He was a dirty player. One of the dirtiest. It's right there on tape.

I just think he's not remembered that way because dirty players weren't vilified like they are now.
Want some tissue

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Stevens ended lives. Kronwall laid some big hits, but unless he turned backwards and jumped at you (though often), it wasn't deadly.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Out of the top 10 clip posted in this thread, like 8 or 9 of them deliberately targeted the head. He hit to concuss and he knew what he was doing.

He was a dirty player. One of the dirtiest. It's right there on tape.

I just think he's not remembered that way because dirty players weren't vilified like they are now.
The puck long gone , most were late head shots but what i find most disturbing, he enjoyed it.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
People that chest thump and get adrenaline rushes at Scott Stevens trying to concuss people 25 years ago but complain about Tom Wilson and Matt Cooke are massive, massive hypocrites.
Stevens and Matt Cooke don't belong in the same sentence. Or Wilson really.

The majority of Stevens hits were legal even by today's rules. Skates on the ice, solid contact through the body, elbows down. Everyone seems to think he ran around throwing hits all the time like his one on Kariya or Lindros. People should watch some of Lindros's biggest hits to see what players got away with in those days before they call Stevens dirty.

He was a predatory hitter for sure, but he was no Matt Cooke. Messier was a Matt Cooke, not Stevens.

And I don't chest thump about Stevens (I hated him when he played), but in terms of those kinds of hits involving the head I've also gotten older and know a lot more about the devastating impact of Post concussion syndrome.

These days people sometimes mistake hypocrisy for growth.

Last edited:

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Stevens was cheap, but I thought Bryan Marchment was dirtier. Marchment would hit you as hard as he could from behind, when players were bent over with their heads towards the boards. I honestly thought he was going to paralyze someone.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Stevens was cheap, but I thought Bryan Marchment was dirtier. Marchment would hit you as hard as he could from behind, when players were bent over with their heads towards the boards. I honestly thought he was going to paralyze someone.
Meanwhile he was most known for going knee to knee , that was his M O. When guys lace up they prep for a hockey game ,Stevens was playing something all together different.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Meanwhile he was most known for going knee to knee , that was his M O. When guys lace up they prep for a hockey game ,Stevens was playing something all together different.
Marchment was a bastard like Cooke.

stevens wanted to hurt people, he liked it, and the rules and league condoned even celebrated what he did back then

Marchment was A puke

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
People that chest thump and get adrenaline rushes at Scott Stevens trying to concuss people 25 years ago but complain about Tom Wilson and Matt Cooke are massive, massive hypocrites.

"It was good ol' hockey"

I mean, sure it looked crazy exciting to watch, very primal too. But, I'm always stunned by how easily fans forget that these athletes are human being. If these were injuries that we were able to treat, I might think otherwise, but some of these injuries we are unable to treat them efficiently and it affects the player's lives even in their retirements.

I'm 24 btw, so I did not get to see Stevens, but from what I've heard and seen, he was more feared than Kronwall

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
"It was good ol' hockey"

I mean, sure it looked crazy exciting to watch, very primal too. But, I'm always stunned by how easily fans forget that these athletes are human being. If these were injuries that we were able to treat, I might think otherwise, but some of these injuries we are unable to treat them efficiently and it affects the player's lives even in their retirements.

I'm 24 btw, so I did not get to see Stevens, but from what I've heard and seen, he was more feared than Kronwall
What you have to remember is that at the time, the onus was on the puck carrier to keep his head up and not get labelled. Nobody considered it vicious because it was no big deal. A player got “his bell rung.” Knowing what we now know about repetitive head injuries, it’s no surprise that it has changed. By the standards of that era, Stevens was not unusually “dirty.” Hits from behind and going after guys knees were the plays perceived as dirty back then. Nowadays the onus is on the hitter to not make contact with the head. It’s not entirely fair to the hitters, but that’s just how it is.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
What you have to remember is that at the time, the onus was on the puck carrier to keep his head up and not get labelled. Nobody considered it vicious because it was no big deal. A player got “his bell rung.” Knowing what we now know about repetitive head injuries, it’s no surprise that it has changed. By the standards of that era, Stevens was not unusually “dirty.” Hits from behind and going after guys knees were the plays perceived as dirty back then. Nowadays the onus is on the hitter to not make contact with the head. It’s not entirely fair to the hitters, but that’s just how it is.

I meant more about how I'm surprised that some fans seem to not let go of that era. Would a good parallel be cigarettes? Nobody should fault people for smoking tons when the health implications were not well known, as people enjoying Stevens' hits did. But, when you receive the information that it's in fact pretty bad, why continue lamenting the loss of that dangerous aspect?

When you say it's not entirely fair to hitters though, I do agree. Hockey is such a fast sport that sometimes, a hit could be initiated fairly, only for the receiving player to move in an awkward position in reaction to seeing the hit coming a fraction of a second before. Point is, it's sometimes difficult if not impossible to separate intent from outcome. But lamenting career ending injuries and goons seems a little idiotic imo.

What I find unfortunate is how much of a business hockey has becomes. Seems like I can sometimes find more "rawness" of emotions and passion at the local rink because kids play against the same few teams all year and play only for their own pleasure and desire to win.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Watching those clips is really something, players tied up with each other then out of no where a wrecking ball comes through taking out the lot.The Kozlov hit hurts watching.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Kronwall would have been in a scenario adjacent to Steve Moore had played the way that he did during the late eighties.

He benefited in the era he played in. Had he not, Dave Brown would have rearranged his face - and rightfully so.

The dude couldn’t hit without charging. Stevens certainly left his feet on a lot of hits prior to making contact, but at least he would drop his mitts.

Even Ulanov, Kasparaitis, and Samuelsson would fight on occasion. f*** that guy for not doing it once throughout his career.

He doesn’t belong in any discussion in juxtaposition with Stevens. That’s insane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad