WJC: Which player(s) has impressed you the most

BlackAces*

Im not surprised, because it is so misused, it gets annoying at times.

From Colins dictionary:

innate ability, aptitude, or faculty, esp. when unspecified;above average ability: a talent for cooking; a child with talent .

From Online Ethymology

1292, "inclination, disposition, will, desire," from O.Fr. talent, from M.L. talenta, pl. of talentum "inclination, leaning, will, desire" (1098), in classical L. "balance, weight, sum of money," from Gk. talanton "balance, weight, sum," from PIE *tel-, *tol- "to bear, carry" (see extol). Originally an ancient unit of weight or money (varying greatly and attested in O.E. as talente), the M.L. and common Romanic sense developed from fig. use of the word in the sense of "money." Meaning "special natural ability, aptitude," developed c.1430, from the parable of the talents in Matt. xxv:14-30.

Talent is thus the innate inclination to certain qualities someone has. A good player may surely be so because of talent, to more or less extent some talent is required. But it may be just as much because of more training. All you can say for certain is that he/her has that ability, learned proficiency or skill etc at this one time. You can hardly claim to know for certain that it is because they are talented/have such potential (altough to a certan extent i guess you can, well, if you are to be succesfull in some things you need size for example).

Hmmm, I guess I don't really see how cooking is an innate ability, but the skills that go into hockey (hand eye, athleticism, spatial cognition, body type, etc...) are not. I think for most of the above average prospects, we are talking about talent for the most part.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amputechture

Jun 24, 2007
Toronto
What kind of question is that 1 game into the tourney, after playing Latvia? I know when I played hockey, if a team was running up the score on my team like that, I'd be gunning to run someone and take someone's head off.

Unfortunately in tournaments such as this one, where tie-breakers are based upon goals for, a team must keep trying to score to have the leg up in the tie-breaker if so needed later on. If that rule wasnt in place the score would have looked much different and Canada more then likely would have let up in the offensive zone.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005

From Colins dictionary:

innate ability, aptitude, or faculty, esp. when unspecified;above average ability: a talent for cooking; a child with talent .

From Online Ethymology

1292, "inclination, disposition, will, desire," from O.Fr. talent, from M.L. talenta, pl. of talentum "inclination, leaning, will, desire" (1098), in classical L. "balance, weight, sum of money," from Gk. talanton "balance, weight, sum," from PIE *tel-, *tol- "to bear, carry" (see extol). Originally an ancient unit of weight or money (varying greatly and attested in O.E. as talente), the M.L. and common Romanic sense developed from fig. use of the word in the sense of "money." Meaning "special natural ability, aptitude," developed c.1430, from the parable of the talents in Matt. xxv:14-30.

Talent is thus the innate inclination to certain qualities someone has. A good player may surely be so because of talent, to more or less extent some talent is required. But it may be just as much because of more training. All you can say for certain is that he/her has that ability, learned proficiency or skill etc at this one time. You can hardly claim to know for certain that it is because they are talented/have such potential (altough to a certan extent i guess you can, well, if you are to be succesfull in some things you need size for example).

Diaboli

I was making a point as for the use of the term. I just think correct should be correct.

At least I have always asumed it closer to the meaning of (innate) "potential" than to the current ability.

Dont be silly, an inherently smaller person may obviously have less talent for professional hockey than someone inherently larger.

Anyhow, I was making a point, you can fill in the gaps. Technicalities are not the main point here.

Well, since "ability" is one of the terms used to define "talent," (see your quoted definition) I would say that your attempted distinction is significantly overstated. And it takes considerable nerve to say you don't want to get into technicalities in a post attempting to make a very fine distinction between two nearly synonymous words.

I suppose you could say that ability is a developed talent. Picky as I can be, especially when marking papers, I would never criticize a person for using the word that denotes the origin rather than the developed form of a particular capacity.

Besides, word meaning is determined in the end by common usage. If it is true that Americans commonly use talent and ability interchangeably, in American English they are synonyms.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Easily Pietrangelo. Last year he was by far an away one of Canada's worst defensemen up there with Goloubef.

This year he is so poised with the puck, calm and knows what to do. Add to the fact that he has skated circles around all the teams he has played

BlackAces*

Well, since "ability" is one of the terms used to define "talent," (see your quoted definition) I would say that your attempted distinction is significantly overstated. And it takes considerable nerve to say you don't want to get into technicalities in a post attempting to make a very fine distinction between two nearly synonymous words.

I suppose you could say that ability is a developed talent. Picky as I can be, especially when marking papers, I would never criticize a person for using the word that denotes the origin rather than the developed form of a particular capacity.

Besides, word meaning is determined in the end by common usage. If it is true that Americans commonly use talent and ability interchangeably, in American English they are synonyms.

I have been a TA, and I can guarantee you I would never take marks away for making the distinction between the two either.

To me, they are synonyms, and I can't see anything in his evidence that convinces me otherwise. To get bogged down into anything more is semantics.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Hall, he's incredible talent. Obvious top choice in the upcoming draft. Hopefully he goes to Edmonton.

On the American team, I really like Jerry D'Amigo (yeah, a bit of a bias choice). But he was also player of the game yesterday.

For the Swedes, I really liked Anton Lander, and Rodin.
Thats my pick. Man is he stong on the puck.

Lapierre for captain

Apr 7, 2009
Hamilton On,
without a doubt Pietrelangelo. he has matured from his experience in the NHL and it clearly shows more calm with the puck and great decision making. he gained alot of confidence and it shows!

and What about Gabriel Bourque leads the team with 3 goals hat trick vs Latvia, yes it was Latvia but hes playing with a physical presence and soft hands and i gotta mention that the players who are being noticed....Bourque, Kadri, Cowen theyre impressing me and these guys are the ones who we brought in to be enforcers and an energy line all i can say is wow (yn)6(yn)

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008
I have only seen the swedish games but from what I have seen: OEL, I think he is amazing. I am a little surprised that he havent been praised more. IMO the best player in the swedish team so far.

From the opponents I have to say Kana on the Checkz team. Absolutely lethal sniper. Also Novotny was quite impressive.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
I have only seen the swedish games but from what I have seen: OEL, I think he is amazing. I am a little surprised that he havent been praised more. IMO the best player in the swedish team so far.

From the opponents I have to say Kana on the Checkz team. Absolutely lethal sniper. Also Novotny was quite impressive.

OEL reminds me of Lidström :help:

Lidström _JR_

trueblue68

Feb 1, 2009
Sami Vatanen. Especially after tonight..the guy reminds me of Jay Boumeester in the way he skates with ease. He's only 18 and showed incredible poise and leadership/clutchness in the game against the czech's. Looks like this kid might be a good one.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I was sorta expecting Peitrangelo to be the top dog on defense this WJC... he is going to 20 in less than a month lol

i am guessing he is the oldest high profile player in this tournament

McCullogh

Feb 4, 2006
Paris
Sami Vatanen and OEL. And to some extent Rödin.

(Have only watched the games for Finland and Sweden so far)

Mahox

Noncontroversial
Nov 13, 2005
Sami Vatanen without a doubt! :bow:

Incredible skating coupled with good decisions on the blueline and the kid looked really poised out there.

I knew he had a lot of hype around him after his stellar start to this season but man did he deliver! :handclap:

Rediscoveryx

May 10, 2002
Norrland, Sweden
Visit site
I've only seen the swedes and I must say that Anton Rödin has been a huge surprise for me. He hasn't played that much in the SEL, so I haven't had the chance to see him play more than a few shifts every now and then (and he hadn't impressed me in the SEL to be honest). But he's been excellent in both Swedish games so far.

Ekman-Larsson has also been good, though I don't think that any of the top four Swedish d-men (OEL, Erixon, Rundblad, Larsson) have been playing at the best of their ability so far. OEL's the top one though.

Larsson's assist on Rödin's second goal was quite a beauty - though I think Larsson has made a couple of poor mistakes as well.

Anton Lander has also been very good. In fact, I think he's been better than Pääjärvi despite the latter's point explosion against the czechs.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Going off just one game, Della-Rovere impressed me quite a bit in comparison with his performance last year.

He made a couple of nice offensive plays, was strong on the puck, forechecked hard, and had a few nice hits.

If he keeps this up, especially against teams like Russia, USA, or Sweden - it's going to make winning a lot easier.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009

From Colins dictionary:

From Online Ethymology

Diaboli

I was making a point as for the use of the term. I just think correct should be correct.

At least I have always asumed it closer to the meaning of (innate) "potential" than to the current ability.

Dont be silly, an inherently smaller person may obviously have less talent for professional hockey than someone inherently larger.

Anyhow, I was making a point, you can fill in the gaps. Technicalities are not the main point here.

Alle, don't you have something better to do than waste your TALENT on meaningless
posts such as this.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
For me... Taylor Hall. I have been hearing about the kid now for awhile as the likely first overall pick in the 2010 NHL draft but hadn't seen him play. I'm pretty impressed by what I've seen so far... strong on the puck, very good hockey instinct, excellent hands.

i live in windsor so i see hall alot hes is that good.i think on the US team .its been the d'amigo kid,looks strong on his skates and doestnt lok outta place for a 6th round pick .nice pick by the leafs

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Nino Niederreiter - I only saw the first period of the game vs. the US but the whole Swiss team actually loooked pretty good.

Derek Stepan - Extremely underrated around here. D'Amigo got player of the game vs. Slovakia (and he looked great) but that prize really should have gone to Stepan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad