WJC: Which player(s) has impressed you the most

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
I've only watched the Sweden and USA games so far. (edit: oh yeah the Canada v Latvia but that doesn't count)

But Larrson and OEL impress the heck out of me. That 2014 and 2018 Team Sweden defense... woowzer!

As a Caps' fan I watch Johansson very closely. I didn't like the pick last year. But his stat lines in Sweden started to get me interested so these two games I've been excited to finally see him in action and really not expecting much.

But that kid has really made me a believer in his potential. He's won nearly every faceoff I've seen. Has excellent patience with the puck, solid puck and body control, good passing, and pretty good around the boards. And he has the personal traits that go with earning the C. When he's out there he reminds me of Backstrom-light (passing and vision aren't at NB's 2007 level) during his post-draft WJC.

Last year I wanted Josefson. Now I wouldn't trade.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
I've only watched the Sweden and USA games so far. (edit: oh yeah the Canada v Latvia but that doesn't count)

But Larrson and OEL impress the heck out of me. That 2014 and 2018 Team Sweden defense... woowzer!

As a Caps' fan I watch Johansson very closely. I didn't like the pick last year. But his stat lines in Sweden started to get me interested so these two games I've been excited to finally see him in action and really not expecting much.

But that kid has really made me a believer in his potential. He's won nearly every faceoff I've seen. Has excellent patience with the puck, solid puck and body control, good passing, and pretty good around the boards. And he has the personal traits that go with earning the C. When he's out there he reminds me of Backstrom-light (passing and vision aren't at NB's 2007 level) during his post-draft WJC.

Last year I wanted Josefson. Now I wouldn't trade.

I think he'll be a perfect 2nd line center for you guys.

Merla

Nov 1, 2007
Only watched Sweden games so far, but here's my view:

Markström has been brilliant, must be a candidate for player of the tourny so far (will be extremely interesting if he can stay calm in the semis/finals or if he'll start losing it all and begin to dive). Outstanding performances so far.

Andre Petersson is the one who's surprised me the most. I didn't even believe he had the potential to reach NHL.. But he's been the key player offensively for Sweden. Great wrist shot and nice dekes.

Paajarvi-Svensson has huge potential and shows it at times, but at times you don't notice him at all. When he wants, he dominates.

Larsson has actually played a lot sloppier than I thought, missed a lot of simple passes... still looking good though.

Worst player/biggest disappointment has to be Rundblad. What's happened? Misses 90% of the passes, often leading to breakaways and shows no strength or speed. Loses the puck at worst possible time etc.. Should be benched imo.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Not that I'm too surprised (I've seen him brilliant on too many occasions for that), but Jacob Markström has to be the player of the tournament so far.

Agreed, Jacob Markström has been very impressive - big man + his equipment seems to be huge... not sure if its just an illusion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad