Which Player Had The Coolest Hockey Career?

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
By "cool" Im assuming you mean "bad boy cool", like Keith Richards or James Dean?. In hockey, you'd have to go back to at least the 70's, and probably the King of that category would just have to be Derek Sanderson. The $2.75M contract with the Philadelphia Blazers, the Silver Rolls & Fur Coats, the quotable quotes as in his favorite pre-game meal being "a steak and a blonde", the long hair & Frank Zappa mustache', that guy was as "cool" as they came. It was his pass that set-up Orrs' famous goal in 70; though a prolific goal scorer in junior, in the NHL he was a ferocious defensive center & excellent face-off guy. Really a Hell of a player. Sure, he "lost it" and a fortune, along with his health, but he turned himself around (with Orrs' help) & went on to a career advising young athletes with investment planning in partnership with Bobby, lectures on the pitfalls of "wild living" and has given back far more than he was ever given or took from anyone, and thats "cool" in my book. :)

My dad refers to him as "probably the most underrated of all time", that if it weren't for playing the Mickey Mantle card, he would've got due recognition.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
By "cool" Im assuming you mean "bad boy cool", like Keith Richards or James Dean?. In hockey, you'd have to go back to at least the 70's, and probably the King of that category would just have to be Derek Sanderson. The $2.75M contract with the Philadelphia Blazers, the Silver Rolls & Fur Coats, the quotable quotes as in his favorite pre-game meal being "a steak and a blonde", the long hair & Frank Zappa mustache', that guy was as "cool" as they came. It was his pass that set-up Orrs' famous goal in 70; though a prolific goal scorer in junior, in the NHL he was a ferocious defensive center & excellent face-off guy. Really a Hell of a player. Sure, he "lost it" and a fortune, along with his health, but he turned himself around (with Orrs' help) & went on to a career advising young athletes with investment planning in partnership with Bobby, lectures on the pitfalls of "wild living" and has given back far more than he was ever given or took from anyone, and thats "cool" in my book. :)

I always say I believe Derek is the most underrated player ever. Reason being when he is mentioned it's always got to do with his controversial character and rarely his abilities. Next to Orr and Esposito, he was the most valuable member of that team :yo:

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

OK i get the cool factor with Derek but he was 2nd in goals in the OHA in his last year of eligibility and 8th in his 2nd to last. Hardly Brian Propp or Bill Derlego prolific.

Brian "Spinner" Spencer's career was cool in the most tragic sense of the word.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Playing for Nashville, with the hottest country singing star kissing you while winning awards. That's pretty cool.

carrie-underwood-mike-fisher-kiss-cmt-music-awards-02.jpg

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Along those lines, for most of a decade Guy Lafleur was regarded as a Golden God in a very hip, cosmopolitan city at a time when liberation from conservative lifestyles went to the extreme. As he said, with a grin and a little laugh, while addressing the crowd at the Canadiens' centennial celebration, "We partied every night." It must have been cool to fly down the ice, blond locks flowing in the wind, the puck hitting the net time after time, the crowd roaring while the Canadiens skated to victory, as they nearly always did in those days, and then to celebrate by partying the night away surrounded by breathtakingly beautiful ladies. And then to drive home--or wherever--in the wee or, more likely, the not so wee hours in a very fast sports car.

But perhaps not so cool. The partying inevitably took its physical toll on Lafleur, whose game very much depended on speed. And the partying led to the automobile crash injury that hampered him for the remainder of his career.

Yet Lafleur still does have that grin and laugh when he recalls the partying!

so cool he had his own album!....

i actually have this LP with poster and instructional book on how to pass....skate....shoot....etc.

poster
LafleurLPposter-sm.jpg

but listen to it and wow..... quelle fromage!!!

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Man... Even Daigle has cooler career from this point of view...

Bobby Hull was the original playboy, if you can overlook his treatment of his wife at the time, physically, not emotionally then his career was super cool as well. To be fair it was pretty common for guys to beat on their wives and up until the early 70's it wasn't even illegal to do so.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
OK i get the cool factor with Derek but he was 2nd in goals in the OHA in his last year of eligibility and 8th in his 2nd to last. Hardly Brian Propp or Bill Derlego prolific... Brian "Spinner" Spencer's career was cool in the most tragic sense of the word.

Yikes. Nothing even remotely cool or Tragically Hip about Brian Spencer. Wound up real tight that one. Re-call the incident during the intermission of a game when he was being interviewed on TV after being traded to Pittsburgh?. Complete meltdown. "Who puts a f&#&ing Penguin on a sweater yadda yadda yadda", rips it off & proceeds to stomp on it with his skates on.... Nothin "cool" about that IMO.

Might even be available on :youtube:

so cool he had his own album!....
but listen to it and wow.....
quelle fromage!!!

:biglaugh::thumbu:

Im sticking with Sanderson & Orr. Others would include Guy, Ed Giacomin, Cheevers, Sawchuk, Howie Flett, Salming, Keon, both Richards, Worsley, Beliveau, tons of em really...

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I know the kind of "cool" you mean first hand. I lived and worked in Venice, California in the late 1960s and through nearly all the 1970s. I was known on the Venice boardwalk as "Lawyer Man," and I represented many cool people in court when their coolness crossed the line and came to the attention of uncool authorities. I'd still pick Lafleur over Sanderson because I think Lafleur's on-ice career was cooler than Sanderson's. But I appreciate why you would choose Sanderson. He was, indeed, cool.

No offense but should we really take any advice on "coolness" from a guy known as "Lawyer Man"?

I'm taking Killion as the "coolest "poster on these boards for the weird
Dali like wine inspired rants.

I'm pretty sure that if asked the same question as Dali was "Are you on Drugs" he would respond with the same "I am drugs man".

As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure that h could make the Sedin twins sound like the coolest guys ever.

http://www.theartistsalvadordali.com/dalifaceofwar.jpg

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Petr Buzek.

Survived a horrible car crash, went to the draft in a wheelchair and body cast, missed a year, learned English from Bob Bassen and from watching Jean-Claude Van Damme movies, received medical documentation to be able to skip the metal detector checkpoints in airports (having huge amounts of titanium holding him together), became an All-Star, told the expansion team he played for to stick it, and retired at age 26.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
No offense but should we really take any advice on "coolness" from a guy known as "Lawyer Man"? I'm taking Killion as the "coolest "poster on these boards for the weird Dali like wine inspired rants. I'm pretty sure that if asked the same question as Dali was "Are you on Drugs" he would respond with the same "I am drugs man".

:biglaugh::thumbu: Thanks... I think. :huh:

"Lawyer Man" is one very cool Dude. You'd pretty much have to be if you'd made a living defending the Freakshows that wash up on the shores of Venice Beach. Plus, he's a native Montrealer' if Im not mistaken, and most of those ones are Born Cool...

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
:biglaugh::thumbu: Thanks... I think. :huh:

"Lawyer Man" is one very cool Dude. You'd pretty much have to be if you'd made a living defending the Freakshows that wash up on the shores of Venice Beach. Plus, he's a native Montrealer' if Im not mistaken, and most of those ones are Born Cool...

Yeah I can invision a guy known as "Lawyer Man" representing Sean Penn's character (Specolli) from "Fast Times at Ridgmont High."

"Lawyer Dude, the cop dudes are trying to set me up man."

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Petr Buzek... learned English from Bob Bassen and from watching Jean-Claude Van Damme movies... became an All-Star, told the expansion team he played for to stick it, and retired at age 26.

Wicked line... :laugh:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Randy Gregg - about how many players can it be said:

He retired from professional hockey again for the 1987–88 campaign to enter a residency program in orthopedic surgery as well as represent Canada at the 1988 Winter Olympics, but re-joined Edmonton for the playoffs to win another Stanley Cup.

nutbar

Jan 19, 2011
I've got to say Mike Eruzione had a pretty cool career. He achieved the impossible then retired right after because nothing else could match it.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Adjusted Cool

Yikes. Nothing even remotely cool or Tragically Hip about Brian Spencer. Wound up real tight that one. Re-call the incident during the intermission of a game when he was being interviewed on TV after being traded to Pittsburgh?. Complete meltdown. "Who puts a f&#&ing Penguin on a sweater yadda yadda yadda", rips it off & proceeds to stomp on it with his skates on.... Nothin "cool" about that IMO.

Might even be available on :youtube:

:biglaugh::thumbu:

Im sticking with Sanderson & Orr. Others would include Guy, Ed Giacomin, Cheevers, Sawchuk, Howie Flett, Salming, Keon, both Richards, Worsley, Beliveau, tons of em really...

You have to take into account adjusted cool for eras:nod:. Sure Guy and Derek were cool in the late sixties or seventies but today there is kid a playing Midget AAA
hockey in Granby, 6ft 190lbs hired part time at the Pro Shop. 25-30 teen age girls come by every free skating session evry time he works to rent skates.:amazed:

Now Derek and Guy were cool in a watered down NHL but they had to go and get the girls, spending cash, their own cash. This kid faces tougher competition, international hockey players, youtube, cyberspace. Easier for girls to find stud muffins from anywhere. but he draws them to a rinky dink arena in Granby AND they spend money to rent skates from him. No one cooler than that ever. This Midget kid beats Guy and Derek hands down.:yo::bow:

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
...theres a kid playing Midget AAA hockey in Granby, 6ft 190lbs hired part time at the Pro Shop. 25-30 teen age girls come by every free skating session every time he works to rent skates.:amazed:

I think Ive heard of him C58. Goes by the name of Deuce Bigelow?. And $200 for an hours "rental"?... :huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad