Which Player Had The Coolest Hockey Career?

KingGallagherXI

Jul 10, 2009
AINEC

Lanny-McDonald-moustache.jpg

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Bobby Hull was the original playboy, if you can overlook his treatment of his wife at the time, physically, not emotionally then his career was super cool as well. To be fair it was pretty common for guys to beat on their wives and up until the early 70's it wasn't even illegal to do so.

To be fair? Wasn't illegal until the early 1970's? Really? Come on, that is such B.S.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Well I don't think he meant to excuse Hull's actions towards his wife, just stating that it wasn't uncommon at the time for a man to hit a woman.

No it wasnt, however you might have wanted to have put some context, form & substance on the comment, extra mustard, pickles n' onions in qualifying it with a "which didnt make it right or any more appalling than it is today". Ya follow?. Enjoy your lunch. ;)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Okay three pages and no mention of Jeremy Roenick? Come on!

He had the nickname "J.R." and no one thought of the show "Dallas" when we said that either.

He was on an original 6 team, he was a player who offered sound bites to the media, he danced on the ice during a stoppage of play to the music. He is never afraid to say what he wants. He once said if he wasn't on the US Olympic team in 2006 that he's "cheering for Canada".

Whether you think the guy was a HHOFer or not, he was and still is downright cool. Might have made the Blackhawks jersey more popular than anyone other than Hull.

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
Ken Dryden.

Bigger than mere mortals, he debuted with a bang, winning the Smythe Trophy before his rookie year. He played when he wanted to (sat out a year when he felt like it), and usually won. Retired while still quite good, and may be Prime Minister some day.

Peter9

Apr 1, 2008
Los Angeles, USA
No offense but should we really take any advice on "coolness" from a guy known as "Lawyer Man"?

I'm taking Killion as the "coolest "poster on these boards for the weird
Dali like wine inspired rants.

I'm pretty sure that if asked the same question as Dali was "Are you on Drugs" he would respond with the same "I am drugs man".

As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure that h could make the Sedin twins sound like the coolest guys ever.

http://www.theartistsalvadordali.com/dalifaceofwar.jpg

Ahh, but I wouldn't purport to give advice on "coolness" to anyone, much less you. That would be so .... uncool.

Peter9

Apr 1, 2008
Los Angeles, USA
Beating one's wife was illegal in 1970 and 1950 and 1930 and so on. That it wasn't prosecuted nearly as much as it could have been is true, however. Part of the reason was cultural, but part was that beaten wives would initiate a criminal complaint and later have a change of mind and refuse to testify against their husbands. In some states the marital privilege allowed spouses to refuse to testify against their partner. Even in other states, prosecutors were unwilling to go forward with an uncooperative wife as the only witness to the alleged beating. Prosecution of wife beaters didn't become common until after the rise of the Women's Liberation Movement. Wives are sometimes forced to testify under penalty of contempt against the husbands who beat them.

Edit: This is not intended as advice, so go ahead and beat your wife if you want.

Last edited:

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Gump Worsley - if you met him and didn't know who he was, you wouldn't think he was a pro athlete and one of the elite in the world at his position.

Gilles Gratton - another you wouldn't mistake for a pro athlete.

Andy Brown - last goalie to go maskless (correct me if my memory is faulty here) and a race car driver as well

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Gump Worsley - if you met him and didn't know who he was, you wouldn't think he was a pro athlete and one of the elite in the world at his position.

No kidding. "Gotta smoke there Buddy"?...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Anybody mention Ken Dryden? He was like the John Cazale of hockey. Nothing but win.

I think he was mentioned earlier. Did it all on his own terms. Pretty esoteric guy; ask him the time & he'll build you a watch, explaining all along what function this spring has in relation to that sprocket...

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Beating one's wife was illegal in 1970 and 1950 and 1930 and so on. That it wasn't prosecuted nearly as much as it could have been is true, however. Part of the reason was cultural, but part was that beaten wives would initiate a criminal complaint and later have a change of mind and refuse to testify against their husbands. In some states the marital privilege allowed spouses to refuse to testify against their partner. Even in other states, prosecutors were unwilling to go forward with an uncooperative wife as the only witness to the alleged beating. Prosecution of wife beaters didn't become common until after the rise of the Women's Liberation Movement. Wives are sometimes forced to testify under penalty of contempt against the husbands who beat them.

Edit: This is not intended as advice, so go ahead and beat your wife if you want.

I think the main thing back then was that there weren't any women's shelters like we have today. Nowadays women have that. But the stigma of being an abused woman is still there just like it was back then. I don't think women are beaten any less today than they were then, we just have a lot more for them to escape to.

Ken Dryden.

Bigger than mere mortals, he debuted with a bang, winning the Smythe Trophy before his rookie year. He played when he wanted to (sat out a year when he felt like it), and usually won. Retired while still quite good, and may be Prime Minister some day.

I remember a skit on "Royal Canadian Air Farce" when they were doing an impersonation of Dryden and the interviewer was impersonating Bob McKenzie. It was hilarious. McKenzie would ask Dryden a simple question and Dryden would give the most confusing answer that sounded too "smart". I'll never forget the actor playing Dryden saying to the actor playing McKenzie "God, that's a big head you've got."

But do you really think Dryden could be Prime Minister? He's 64 years old right now.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Henri Richard...

Because winning is cool. (And so is beating up guys much bigger than you).

Henri got to play on a line with his older brother, who was an all-time great and a national hero at that point in his career. That's a pretty cool way to start your career, especially when it comes with five consecutive Stanley Cups.

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
Henri got to play on a line with his older brother, who was an all-time great and a national hero at that point in his career. That's a pretty cool way to start your career, especially when it comes with five consecutive Stanley Cups.

And, as I mentioned, Henri Richard (born on 29 Feb) hit the big time before his 6th birthday!

rafterman

Dec 1, 2010
Flyover country
Neal Broten

-grows up in a small town in northern MN known for hockey
-wins NCAA title freshman year at U of Minnesota (1979)
-wins Olympic Gold as part of 1980 Miracle on Ice team
-returns to U of MN for 1981, wins inaugural Hobey Baker award
-drafted by 'hometown' team, North Stars - goes to Stanley cup finals in rookie season
-becomes first US born player to score 100 pts (85-86 season)
-wins Stanley Cup in 1994-5 with Devils, leading the team with 4 GWG in the playoffs.

Not overwhelming stats, but a pretty cool and complete career...

connor35

May 10, 2006
I immediately thought Paul Coffey.

Multiple Stanley Cup winner and played with Gretzky in his prime, then Lemieux in his prime, then Yzerman in his prime, then Lindros in his prime.

That's amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad