Which Plausible Stanley Cup Final would have the Lowest TV Ratings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
The best overall NA ratings would have 1 Canadian and 1 American team in the finals. I suspect that more people would watch a 2 Canadian team final than a 2 american team final.

Ottawa-Calgary would be watched by say 1 Mil in the US and 5 mil+ in Canada, which is far better than say Detroit-Philly which would get say 3 mil US and 2 mil Canada. Ottawa-Detroit would probably get 2 mil US and 4 mil Canada.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
polarslam said:
Sabers vs. Preds would have the potential for the lowest ratings of possile matchup's East vs. West. With Nashville vs. Edmonton/Calgary and Buffulo vs. Carolina as the nightmare conference finals leading up to the Cup.

NYR vs. L.A would draw big. As would Philly vs. Detriot.
Buffalo-Nashville would draw worse ratings than Carolina-Nashville? Huh?

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Being a Montrealer, I hope that the TV ratings in the US are bad. I like the new salary cap and I have no interested in another freakin salary war generated by a phoney TV contract. The TV contract they have now has already ballooned from what it was and there is still nobody watching down there. Sheesh.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
GuloGulo said:
Best Canadian: Edmonton - Toronto
Best US: Detroit - Rangers
(just watch how epic '94 became no matter it was, yes, only one cup)

Best overall: Detroit-Toronto OR Edmonton-Rangers
Worst overall: Anaheim - Florida :sarcasm:

Switch Toronto with Montreal if you're Hab fan. I dunno if Habs can match the media power of GTA anymore, but they have many partisans.

Red Wing/Habs might also be pretty big.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
If you can include teams that won't make the playoffs this year, Basically, the NHL can't lose with any of the following teams because of either star power/big market/big hockey market:

East
NY Rangers
Boston
Philadelphia
Tampa Bay (vs. another US Team)
Pittsburgh
Washington

West:
Detroit
Los Angeles
Colorado
Dallas
St. Louis
Minnesota

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
In Canada a Carolina v. Nashville series would be an early end to the playoffs. I don't even think I'd care to watch that. Any 2 of the Canadian teams would be huge across the country.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Gnashville said:
What's your point other to trash "untraditional markets"?

Calgary vs Ottawa would draw test pattern ratings in the US

Would it be possible to have ratings below zero?

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Gnashville said:
What's your point other to trash "untraditional markets"?

Calgary vs Ottawa would draw test pattern ratings in the US

I think the term you're looking for is 'flatline' ratings.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
raketheleaves said:
Being a Montrealer, I hope that the TV ratings in the US are bad. I like the new salary cap and I have no interested in another freakin salary war generated by a phoney TV contract. The TV contract they have now has already ballooned from what it was and there is still nobody watching down there. Sheesh.
Huh? Ballooned? What are you talking about?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Highest in the US would be NY vs. LA......both teams are obviously overshadowed by legendary franchises in other sports (The Yankees and Lakers). But you gotta believe both cities would be pretty hockey crazy by the time the finals rolled around, don't underestimate how big a front running bandwagon can get. You would start seeing celebrities at the games (in addition to the true fans like Tim Robbins and Rob Zombie), and since it was the two biggest media markets in the country there would be alot of crossover media attention.

Bettman would do backflips if he got a Rangers-Kings final.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
having 1 canadian team in the finals will mean great ratings in canada so that limits out series with them.

So overall i think a Carolina-Nashville series would be a ratings disaster. If your going on the basis what would do terrible just in US, i think Calgary or Emonton in place of Nashville would do even worse. I actually think Ottawa would outdraw Carolina in the US so i won't say them.

Herby said:
Highest in the US would be NY vs. LA......

What if it was NYI vs Anaheim:P

NYIsles1*

Better hope for a team from Canada vs Detroit, Philadelphia final for even a hope of US markets in the playoffs that can do anything in terms of even descent ratings nationally or basically all finals will produce low ratings.

Last edited by a moderator:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
hockydude5000 said:
This year, there are a bunch of teams from untraditional hockey markets are doing well, thanks to the salary cap.

It has nothing to do with the salary cap.

badrobot101

Jan 16, 2006
Toronto
Phoenix vs. Florida - about 600 people in the entire USA might watch a game or so of that series. And not many more in Canada could be bothered with that crapfest. Bar owners would be thinking back to the glory days of the lockout.

The Sanchise

Aug 3, 2004
NF Ontario
Clearly the worst ratings would be drawn with a New Jersey-Calgary series. Every game would be 1-0 in overtime lol :sarcasm:

Most exciting: Buffalo-Detroit

RingWraith

May 3, 2003
New Westminster
It would not surprise me at all if a Vancouver-Toronto Stanley Cup final drew a Canadian television audience approaching 10 million (for say a Game 7 event). People may turn their noses up at that claim, but think about it even slightly and it is not at all even remotely far-fetched. The 2002 Canada-US gold medal game attracted about 10 million viewers; and I don't know a single hockey fan personally that cares more for international hockey than the NHL. Such a Stanley Cup match-up could potentially be the biggest television event in the country's history. If Calgary-Tampa can draw 5 million, just imagine what massive markets like Toronto and Vancouver would draw.

RTWAP*

RingWraith said:
It would not surprise me at all if a Vancouver-Toronto Stanley Cup final drew a Canadian television audience approaching 10 million (for say a Game 7 event). People may turn their noses up at that claim, but think about it even slightly and it is not at all even remotely far-fetched. The 2002 Canada-US gold medal game attracted about 10 million viewers; and I don't know a single hockey fan personally that cares more for international hockey than the NHL. Such a Stanley Cup match-up could potentially be the biggest television event in the country's history. If Calgary-Tampa can draw 5 million, just imagine what massive markets like Toronto and Vancouver would draw.
I would suggest to you that the Canadian team least likely to draw fans from other Canadian teams is the Leafs. It may be shallow but many Canadians outside Toronto are united in their dislike for the "Toronto is the most important place in Canada" attitude. The hockey team suffers from guilt by association.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
the only way the Red Wings drew big is if there's a canadian team in there or a cinderalla team that goes all the way

People are sick of the Wings in the final so it probably wouldn't be that successful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad