Which Plausible Stanley Cup Final would have the Lowest TV Ratings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockydude5000

Jan 2, 2006
This year, there are a bunch of teams from untraditional hockey markets are doing well, thanks to the salary cap. However, one problem about this is that if two untraditional hockey markets start fighting for the cup, TV ratings will be very low. My question is: this year, which plausible Stanley Cup matchup will have low TV rankings?

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
hockydude5000 said:
This year, there are a bunch of teams from untraditional hockey markets are doing well, thanks to the salary cap. However, one problem about this is that if two untraditional hockey markets start fighting for the cup, TV ratings will be very low. My question is: this year, which plausible Stanley Cup matchup will have low TV rankings?
What's your point other to trash "untraditional markets"?

Calgary vs Ottawa would draw test pattern ratings in the US

hockydude5000

Jan 2, 2006
Gnashville said:
What's your point other to trash "untraditional markets"?

Calgary vs Ottawa would draw test pattern ratings in the US

I'm not: I'm just curious: I'm not trashing the South: I'm a Canes fan. However, I do have the sense that some markets would create low TV ratings, and I also think an Edmonton vs. Ottawa would be low, as well. I'm complimenting the southern teams, not trashing them. You miss the point.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Gotta agree with the Eastern Canada vs, Western Canada for lowest possible ratings in the States.

To turn it around... what would draw the highest? Rangers vs. Wings??

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
hockydude5000 said:
I'm not: I'm just curious: I'm not trashing the South: I'm a Canes fan. However, I do have the sense that some markets would create low TV ratings, and I also think an Edmonton vs. Ottawa would be low, as well. I'm complimenting the southern teams, not trashing them. You miss the point.
Sorry for missing the point but due to the constant bashing and hatred of my team and yours due to geography I assumed this was another relocation thread
Nashville vs Carolina would have better ratings than Ottawa va Calgary IMO

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
Gnashville said:

defintiely, because there'd be a lot more interest in the southern part of the US with the first matchup.

i live in the south, and southerners can make great passionate hockey fans once they learn the game. but there's not many that continue to watch the sport after their favorite team is eliminated/not on the television.

i think wings/rangers would probably be the highest rated series, given the ties of original six in huge american hockey markets and stars like jagr and lidstrom.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Highest ratings in Canada: Vancouver vs. Ottawa
Highest ratings in the USA: Detroit vs. NYR
Highest combined ratings: Vancouver vs. NYR (again - game 7 of that series is the 2nd most watched hockey game of all time, after the Canadian 2002 gold medal winning game)

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
kmad said:
Highest ratings in Canada: Vancouver vs. Ottawa
Huh? :dunno:

As much as I'd love to see Ottawa in the Finals, Vancouver vs Toronto or Vancouver vs. Montreal would be significantly higher rated in Canada. Those two teams have huge fan bases coast-to-coast.

As for the lowest, I dunno. National ratings in the States are generally tiny and any Canadian team in the Finals draws hugely up here, so it would probably come down to the two markets with the smallest local ratings in the US. I couldn't begin to guess who those are....

polarslam

Apr 2, 2004
Winnipeg
Sabers vs. Preds would have the potential for the lowest ratings of possile matchup's East vs. West. With Nashville vs. Edmonton/Calgary and Buffulo vs. Carolina as the nightmare conference finals leading up to the Cup.

NYR vs. L.A would draw big. As would Philly vs. Detriot.

Namso

Aug 25, 2005
Highest Canada: Vancouver-Montreal/Toronto (Montreal-Toronto Conference Final would probably beat this though)
Highest US: Rangers-Kings
Highest Overall: Rangers-Kings

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
Lowest in USA: Carolina vs. Nashville or any Canadian team
Highest in USA: NYR vs. Detroit
Lowest in Canada: Carolina vs. Nashville
Highest in Canada: Montreal vs. EDM/VAN/CGY All Canadian would be HUGE

WoodGundy

Nov 3, 2003
Halifax
jamiebez said:
Huh? :dunno:

As much as I'd love to see Ottawa in the Finals, Vancouver vs Toronto or Vancouver vs. Montreal would be significantly higher rated in Canada. Those two teams have huge fan bases coast-to-coast..

We seem to have lost you at plausible.

KaptainKourage*

Hightest : New York Rangers - Calgary Flames
Lowest : Carolina Hurricanes - Nashville Predators

Weltsky

Sep 21, 2005
Calgary, Alberta
i would have to say san jose against atlanta for the lowest. That is if, those teams make the playoffs, for highest, I would have to say Detriot-NYR as well.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Gnashville said:
Sorry for missing the point but due to the constant bashing and hatred of my team and yours due to geography I assumed this was another relocation thread

US only, absolutely.

The problem with an all Canadian final in the US is that I would expect a lot of NBC affiliates would simply choose not to air the games, or that NBC would just sell the finals to OLN.

A Calgary-Ottawa final would draw massive ratings in Canada - as any matchup between two Canadian teams would. And if you account for the population difference between Canada and the US, Cgy-Ott would simply destroy Car-Nas.

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro
Best Canadian: Edmonton - Toronto
Best US: Detroit - Rangers
(just watch how epic '94 became no matter it was, yes, only one cup)

Best overall: Detroit-Toronto OR Edmonton-Rangers
Worst overall: Anaheim - Florida :sarcasm:

Switch Toronto with Montreal if you're Hab fan. I dunno if Habs can match the media power of GTA anymore, but they have many partisans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->