Which Plausible Stanley Cup Final would have the Lowest TV Ratings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RingWraith

May 3, 2003
New Westminster
RalfTheWiseNPowerful said:
I would suggest to you that the Canadian team least likely to draw fans from other Canadian teams is the Leafs. It may be shallow but many Canadians outside Toronto are united in their dislike for the "Toronto is the most important place in Canada" attitude. The hockey team suffers from guilt by association.

I've lived in the West my whole life, so I need not be reminded of this phenomenon. While this may be a factor, you probably should not over-estimate its significance. Aside from the fact that the Leafs have a large scattering of fans all over English Canada primarily in older generations, which does provide some counter-balance, millions upon millions of hockey fans in Ontario alone will tune in to follow the Leafs. Toronto also holds a far greater level of noteriety in the US than most other Canadian based teams. The Ontarian media juggernaut would explode over such a Final meeting. I completely stand by my Vancouver-Toronto claim.[/off topic]

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
e-townchamps said:
the only way the Red Wings drew big is if there's a canadian team in there or a cinderalla team that goes all the way

People are sick of the Wings in the final so it probably wouldn't be that successful

Red Wing fans aren't... fans don't watch other teams play with any regularity in the NHL... so if you're looking for a larger audience in the US you're going with the two largest tv-viewing fanbases.

Detroit is definitely one of them, and NY/Philly is the other.

Famous Flames

Feb 16, 2004
Dallas
Disclaimer: I am throwing out plausibility (plus, no team is mathematically eliminated yet :) )

Wonder what Anaheim/Isles would draw? Locally, probably ok, but they're the 2nd team in the market.

I think Atlanta would draw better than people think.

Chicago would draw a ton. Chicago/Boston would be huge because of the dispersed fan base and rarity of the matchup.

Columbus has to be in the discussion in terms of worst draw. They just have no buzz around them.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Famous Flames said:
Wonder what Anaheim/Isles would draw? Locally, probably ok, but they're the 2nd team in the market..
Anaheim vs NJ game seven in 2003 was the highest rated NHL game ever in the US.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Famous Flames said:
But what were games 1 through 6 rated? Game 7s are rare in the Finals.
If I remember correctly they improved from game to game (game 2 was higher than game 1 and so on)

hockydude5000

Jan 2, 2006
Famous Flames said:
Columbus has to be in the discussion in terms of worst draw. They just have no buzz around them.

They do, however, have great attendance figures every game I have checked. So they must have fan support in Columbus. I do, however, know that Carolina-Nashville would have bad national ratings (even though it would be one of the more exciting Finals), even though I'm a die-hard Canes fan.

Atlanta-Calgary would be a very interesting cup final, due to past history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->