Speculation: Which pending UFAs hit the market? Or get re-signed?

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Like to see WPG keep Toffoli, as long as he signs affordably, and let Monahan go in favour of a true 2C.
Jets also need to add a top 4 RHD

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Reino knows what it's like to struggle at a place that's going nowhere. He's trusted on every line (except the 4th), has excelled since he's been here, is with a great organization that believes in him, lives in Florida, plays with elite players...don't think y'all are taking that into consideration in your comments. As Impatient said, he's not going to make more than Tkachuk or Barkov, and imo Ek and/or Bob are moved out for cap space.
He might get offers for significantly more than Tkachuk's cap hit though. 9.5M is probably low for a guy coming off of a 50 goal season. Again, it's not that he is unhappy. I'm sure he loves it there. But if he wants to maximize his annual earning on the next contract, that could very easily come elsewhere. Florida isn't in the business of gambling on contracts, as they have shown by not committing to Huberdeau, for example. Reinhart's output this season isn't in line with his typical output, and that could come into play here. If someone offers him 12M, for example, that probably ends up being a contract that the player doesn't live up to, and Florida's management likely understands that. If it was as easy as giving him the Matthew Tkachuk contract, the deal likely would have been done already.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
He might get offers for significantly more than Tkachuk's cap hit though. 9.5M is probably low for a guy coming off of a 50 goal season. Again, it's not that he is unhappy. I'm sure he loves it there. But if he wants to maximize his annual earning on the next contract, that could very easily come elsewhere. Florida isn't in the business of gambling on contracts, as they have shown by not committing to Huberdeau, for example. Reinhart's output this season isn't in line with his typical output, and that could come into play here. If someone offers him 12M, for example, that probably ends up being a contract that the player doesn't live up to, and Florida's management likely understands that. If it was as easy as giving him the Matthew Tkachuk contract, the deal likely would have been done already.
I'm not arguing his "happiness or unhappiness," I'm arguing his understanding of where he is and where he's played previously. Those are two different things. Zito actually gambles on guys all the time, but you're correct in that he never overpays (he learns when he does, like at the deadline). Huby isn't really a great example though, Huby was moved because he doesn't bring what Tkachuk does, and he (along with Weegar, the first, and the prospect) brought us Tkacuk AND his 8 year contract. Huby was going to be moved, along with Weegs, because of the strip club, though. Gudas is a better example, he wanted to get paid and didn't care where he went. Zito wasn't going to pay him what he wanted, let him walk, and used his cap space to help round out the defense.

It took till deadline week to lock up Forsling, he could've gotten more on the market. No one is saying anything about it being easy, he very well may walk into free agency, but if he's back year he wont make more than Barkov and Tkacuk.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I’d put money on Stamkos leaving.

I think he has a number even with a loyalty discount
And Tampa won’t even come close to it

Also Dreger and Johnson keep blowing this horn of Tanev to Ottawa.
That they are going to gladly overpay for a culture shift of accountability.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
I would be surprised if they didn't try to lock up Stephenson as well.
Don't forget that, even though the cap is going up next season, Marchessault is getting just $5 mil/per and will likely want between $7 to $8 mil/per on his likely last contract, and they also traded for Thomas Hertl and his $6.75 mil/per long term contract ! Add into that the fact that Vegas will likely try hard to
re-sign Hanifin long term as he's getting just under $5 mil/per and will likely want at least $7 mil/per and to just me it seems there's no money left for Stephenson? He's likely been replaced next year with Hertl to me. :dunno:

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Gotta think DeBrusk will price him self out/get a really good offer from some other team (That they will more than likely regret)
Ya I think Debrusk is out but I keep on going back and forth on what deal he is going to get. There could definitely be a crazy GM out there that gives him 6m+ on a long term deal but he could also end up Bertuzzi-ing himself.

I wouldn't rule out the latter

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
I think they make Hanifin and Marchy work. The others, gone.

Not going through all of the names but here are a few that jump out to me:

Reinhart - Stays
Guentzel - Back to Pittsburgh is my hunch
Stamkos - Stays
Lindholm - Boston
Marchessault - Stays
Carrier - Stays
Monohan - Stays
DeBrusk - Stays
Bertuzzi - Stays
Arvidsson - Stays
Perron - Stays at a reduced price tag

Defensemen
Hanifin - Stays
Montour - Stays
Tanev - Vancouver
Hakanpaa - Stays
Which is it? You say Carrier is gone, and then you say he stays.

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
Stamkos goes to Anaheim
I'd be afraid of the AAV Verbeek would throw at him. Yes we can afford it but I have PTSD from strome and what not

Edit: in no way am I comparing stamkos to strome, I just mean the contracts that Verbeek throws to "leadership" guys and they just don't deliver has made me hesitant.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
NYR brought in 3 rentals - Wennberg, Roslovic, Ruhwedl;
also have Gustafsson on expiring contract.

NYR fans expect Gus to cost too much to be extended.
Team seems to like both Wenn and Ros
but whether either gets extended is too soon to call

In minors, presuming RFAs get QOs, the pending UFAs are Tyler Pitlick, Nic Petan, and 29-year-old career minor league D Nik Brouilard.

They have 3 pending NHL RFAs (Kakko, Lindgren, Schneider)
and 5 pending prospect RFAs (2F,2D,1G) with a total of 6 career NHL games among them (all RHD Hollowell) ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad