Which past prospect were you completely wrong about?

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Like an old man reminiscing about war stories, I recall a poster with Pääjärvi-Svensson in their username that shoveled more coal into the engine of that hype-train than I have even seen on these boards. It was unreal. Wonder whatever happened to that guy.

Oh man, I remember the hype for "MPS" back in the day on here. Can't blame the fans but it's fun remembering how hyped he was on here and how it all ended up.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Oh man, I remember the hype for "MPS" back in the day on here. Can't blame the fans but it's fun remembering how hyped he was on here and how it all ended up.

I thought he was going to be a bigger version of Zetterberg... Whoops

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I thought Mike Comrie was going to be a legit top six center based off of how he dominated the AJHL, and he looked like it for awhile before everything fell apart for him.

Count me among the many who thought Matt Tkachuk was too slow to be an impact player in the NHL at 18 years old. I did think he would make it eventually, but not by being such a force out of the gate.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
I thought Jared Cowen would be Karlsson's long time partner. Good thing they found Methot.

member 157595

I was disappointed when the Leafs took Kadri over Paajarvi and Jared freaking Cowen. Not my proudest moment.

You and a lot of folks...I'll never forget the grumpy buzzing of the crowd in Ottawa when Karlsson was picked, and Pierre Maguire trying to console them all...lol. At least he knew what they were getting.

No one, including Pierre, could have possibly foreseen the absolutely insane development curve taken by Karlsson after arriving in the NHL.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Steve Bernier was going to be a star in the League in my opinion. I even looked right during his solid rookie season which included one of the best goals of the year.

He never seemed to have the drive needed to succeed I guess.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
No one, including Pierre, could have possibly foreseen the absolutely insane development curve taken by Karlsson after arriving in the NHL.

I agree with that, just saying that in a building full of unhappy fans, his was the one voice saying "it's all going to be okay, he's very good!"

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Idk so much that I was wrong about him but I was kinda disappointed when we drafted hampus lindholm with the 6th overall in 2012.... mostly because I didn't know a whole lot about him, and there was guys like dumba trouba poulliot forserberg grigorenko etc on the board still.

Didn't really buy into his hype train until I saw him play for Anaheim.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Idk so much that I was wrong about him but I was kinda disappointed when we drafted hampus lindholm with the 6th overall in 2012.... mostly because I didn't know a whole lot about him, and there was guys like dumba trouba poulliot forserberg grigorenko etc on the board still.

Didn't really buy into his hype train until I saw him play for Anaheim.

That was such a weird draft...8 of the first ten picks are D-men and Forsberg/Grigorenko fell so far below where they were expected to be taken. I just wish Forsberg had slipped one more spot.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I agree with that, just saying that in a building full of unhappy fans, his was the one voice saying "it's all going to be okay, he's very good!"

Ok, easy on the hyperbole there, sparky. I was in the building at that draft and there was hardly any people who were unhappy or grumpy at the pick. There were lots of people wondering who this Erik Karlsson kid was.

As for this thread, I was unhappy that the Leafs got Luke Schenn. I was WAY off on Jared Cowen and David Rundblad.

Some Sens fans might remember Alexei Kaigorodov. If I'm not mistaken, he played Centre with Malkin back in Russia and in the summer before he came to the NHL he was already pegged by GM John Muckler as the 2nd line C. He came to the NHL and sucked so hard. He lasted 6 games. Haha

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
My most recent big miss was Dylan Larkin. He was the one guy I didn't want the Wings to pick and I hated the pick (I really wanted Fabbri which to be fair wouldn't have been bad either). While The Larkness Monster fell back to Earth a bit this year he's still awesome.

I was sure Yakupov would be one of the best wingers in the league.

member 157595

Yeah, that's true. I didn't intend to nitpick (in case you interpreted it that way).

Reactions: Brett44

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I keep notes from every draft in an effort to continue to get better at spotting traits in successful picks. I keep detailed accounts of my personal opinion on things, and later on will go back and read over these and see exactly why I was wrong or right on certain guys.

In my fantasy sim league I was trying to nail down who to draft at 6th overall in 2010. Here's an excerpt of my notes a week before the 2010 draft: "Very high on Johansen, Niederreiter and Skinner. Not sold on Fowler, Gormley or Gudbranson living up to their potential #3 - 5 respective draft positions though all three should play."

I identified Johansen as being worthy of a top 5 pick which at the time was considered crazy until it actually happened in real life, but I was wrong on Fowler :laugh: But I guess others were too, cause he dropped to 12th overall a week later.

I was also really high on Ryan Sproul for the 2011 draft.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Thought Esposito was gonna be a number 1 center, was so pissed the Habs passed on him at 12 in 2007:sarcasm:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I wanted Bennett over Draisaitl pretty bad. I thought he was going to be a beast in the NHL and Draisaitl was too slow and bland and questioned whether his play could translate to NHL where guys are much bigger. I did see that LD had super high upside if he could improve skating but seemed like a slim chance

So glad we got him, both those guys have went in completely different directions since entering the NHL

I thought David Musil was going to make it based on super high IQ and skating issues could be overcame some what. Rajala would make the NHL and be an impact player. Thought Greg Chase was a steal in 7th round

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I thought Jenner was going to be a #3 C that was a borderline NHL player. Boy was I wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad