Which part of the Valley do you live in?

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
I think the attendance numbers from the time the Coyotes moved to Glendale until Ice Arizona took over in 2013, need to be taken with a grain of salt, because there was a ridiculous amount of freebie tickets given out during those years.

I remember paying $10 for a ticket in the lower bowl straights in 2010. There had to be less than 3,000 people at that game.

manictech

Apr 9, 2012
Tucson,AZ
Mind if I ask why? Downtown is a shorter drive than Glendale from Tucson?

My mom still lives in Glendale, not too far from the arena. When I go back home to visit it's much easier for me to make it to the games. I'm not a big fan of downtown phx, just a personal preference. Always seems like a hassle to get down there and park etc.. But it seems like the team would do much better in an arena down there so for that reason I hope they find a home down that way.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
I remember paying $10 for a ticket in the lower bowl straights in 2010. There had to be less than 3,000 people at that game.

I don't remember a game where there has been 3000 fans...Ive not missed any in two years and only 3 in 4 years and the lowest game that I saw was "Howl-o-ween" 2012..7046
That being said, it IS the most important statistical problem that this franchise has to fix BUT, the entire "Attendance" thing is not fair.
When big business buys entire lower bowls and nobody shows up, they still count the seats as being occupied..
I have never seen a full arena at "the Joe" but the next day you'll see 20,027 as the attendance.
If we could get some Phoenix company to buy 12000 season tickets, our attendance would be looking good too....
Blackhawk season ticket sales in 2007...3500....boy did they come a long way.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
As it stands now there are more Coyote HF posters in the East valley (don't know why Scottsdale was broken out, it's definitely East valley) than the rest of AZ combined. Not that it means much of course.

howlincoyote2k1

Apr 14, 2005
Provo, Utah
As it stands now there are more Coyote HF posters in the East valley (don't know why Scottsdale was broken out, it's definitely East valley) than the rest of AZ combined. Not that it means much of course.

I kind of agree with breaking Scottsdale off. Sure, it is techincally East Valley, but I would consider the intersection of Scottsdale and Shea to be a completely different part of the valley than, say, Gilbert and Main in Mesa.

To me, the East Valley cities are Tempe, Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, Ahwatukee (since you can only get there via the East Valley, really), Queen Creek, AJ and STV. To me, Scottsdale is more Northeast Valley.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

I broke off Scottsdale on a whim fo cultural differences. I'm from Tempe and don't call it "Snobsdale" for nothing. :P

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
You think the obstructed view seats were the issue?
I honestly don't remember how many there were. Do you?

The upper bowl corners on one end were obstructed view and the end at that side was unsold and had a big curtain draped over it. I sat there for game 4 of our 2002 playoff series against San Jose.

There was also a section of I don't know what that was over edge of one of the ends of the ice.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Never went to the old downtown arena but I found this pic.

interior2.jpg

Can't see the goal right below you.

http://hockey.ballparks.com/NHL/PhoenixCoyotes/

Currently, fans in 4,200 of the seats can only see one goal when the Phoenix Coyotes play there.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I sat in the limited view seats a couple times a year for a cheap game and they definitely did suck.

In practice of course those seats were rarely over 30-40% occupied just like now when you can see.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
431105_2720147881514_1273877521_n.jpg

I went to more games at AWA than I've been to at GRA, hell probably went to more RoadRunners games at Vets than I've been to Yotes games total. I only try and catch the Sabres games here, location too prohibitive to go to a casual game with friends.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
You think the obstructed view seats were the issue?
I honestly don't remember how many there were. Do you?
Not THE issue but yes I think they had a large negative impact. Who wants to spend their hard earned money on seats where you can't even see one of the goals?!

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I broke off Scottsdale on a whim fo cultural differences. I'm from Tempe and don't call it "Snobsdale" for nothing. :P

I'm from Scottsdale...don't know why I even associate with the steerage class inhabiting this forum. ;) Mommy...where's my silver spoon?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Serious question. (used to live in Scottsdale, but I'm now out of state.) In many U.S. cities there is a revitalization going on with more people moving downtown. It's somewhat reversing the trend of those with money moving to the burbs.

Is this happening at all in Phoenix?

When I live in AZ in the 80s the downtown area was a ghost town after 6 PM...no one lived there and downtown nightlife was non-existent. What's it like now?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I went to more games at AWA than I've been to at GRA, hell probably went to more RoadRunners games at Vets than I've been to Yotes games total. I only try and catch the Sabres games here, location too prohibitive to go to a casual game with friends.

:laugh:You just made my day.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

Scottsdale is the most hated place in the Valley of the Sun by those in the Valley of the Sun because of the rich people. However, those same people would rather be in Scottsdale than anywhere else in the area.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Serious question. (used to live in Scottsdale, but I'm now out of state.) In many U.S. cities there is a revitalization going on with more people moving downtown. It's somewhat reversing the trend of those with money moving to the burbs.

Is this happening at all in Phoenix?

When I live in AZ in the 80s the downtown area was a ghost town after 6 PM...no one lived there and downtown nightlife was non-existent. What's it like now?

They've really done a good job of trying to revitalize downtown Phoenix. It's certainly not the run-down dump it was back in the '80s through the mid-'90s. That said, I don't think there is any real trend of people moving downtown. The push in metro Phoenix is at the periphery of the Valley on all sides - Northwest Peoria and the environs past Surprise out to the 303 on the West Side, Gilbert and southeast on the East Side are the biggest boomers last I looked. Most of the wealthiest people are moving up to the Northeast Valley up in the foothills (I call Fountain Hills the "hermit caves" :laugh:).

Also - no matter how much they revitalize it, Van Buren is always going to be Van Buren...

Scottsdale is the most hated place in the Valley of the Sun by those in the Valley of the Sun because of the rich people. However, those same people would rather be in Scottsdale than anywhere else in the area.

I don't think that's changed since I lived there from '78 to 2001. It's funny because the area where I lived that is now Scottsdale's wealthiest district - Kierland Commons - used to be just nice suburbs. I got a ticket once riding my motorcycle in the dirt lots out by Scottsdale Road that are now occupied by a Benihana. But man, there has been a hate on for Snobsdale as long as I can remember. I recall telling everyone that my Scottsdale address was only a technicality and that I was really from Paradise Valley because I was so worried about being labeled. :D

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

This is spot on!:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad