Which part of the Valley do you live in?

Mr Pukhead

Where's my ambulance
Jan 18, 2011
North Glendale, Sahuaro district. Been there since '01 and went to games at AWA before the move. Still go to games at GRA.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I know but there are quite a few West side folks presently attending that might share my view. The question is would you gain more than you lose by going East Valley or could you get both by going Downtown. I'd put my money on Downtown if I was the owner but that might not even be an option??

The delta of attendance between GRA and a potential East Valley location would probably be around 500-1000 fans for the average. Downtown would probably be a bit more than that, but it would depend on the venue IMO about how much more it'd be.

Downtown is the most central location for everyone.

Yeah, downtown is pretty uniformly out of everyone's way... :laugh:

I may have asked this before but if you count the ease of parking and exit roughly how much different is commute to GRA vs TSA from North Scottsdale?

I can't speak fully to this because I moved from North Scottsdale to Peoria before GRA opened, but I did drive out to what is now the Westgate area a lot for other business so I can guesstimate. The difference for me is that the trip out to GRA is all on the 101 so really the sole modifier is traffic. Going down to TSRA from where I used to live (just west of Kierland on Greenway) ended up being a wash because of traffic off of the 51 and finding a spot to park. I'd say there was a delta of about 5-10 minutes all told of the trip to Westgate being longer assuming clear traffic on both routes. Entry/exit to Westgate/GRA is a lot easier IMO than TSRA, though, so that was a big modifier for me.

manictech

Apr 9, 2012
Tucson,AZ
Live in Tucson now for about 4 years from Glendale tho. I still attend quite a few games and next season I'm hoping to get some sort of season ticket package. Unfortunately if the Yotes move downtown I won't be attending games anymore.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Live in Tucson now for about 4 years from Glendale tho. I still attend quite a few games and next season I'm hoping to get some sort of season ticket package. Unfortunately if the Yotes move downtown I won't be attending games anymore.

Mind if I ask why? Downtown is a shorter drive than Glendale from Tucson?

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I just moved from Alma School and Elliot to Ray and Higley.
Welcome to the neighborhood (Warner and Higley/Recker in Morrison Ranch). Enjoy the cow chip fragrance at night :yo:

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Yeah, you could probably write that same article swapping East and West and it'd be accurate for the Coyotes' eventual move. It is what it is.

But they wouldn't be moving to the far east. They would be moving to the center of the valley.

The problem with moving west, is that the drive to the games went from 45 minutes to 90 minutes, for a lot of people near me, while people on the west side had their drive go from 30 minutes to 5 minutes, which is cool for them, but the drive to Westgate is super difficult for everyone else.

If I wasn't a college student and had a 40 hour a week, 9 to 5 job, I have no idea how I would make weekday games on time.

Downtown Phoenix is only about a 30-35 minute drive for almost everyone on the west-side, so I don't think that many people in Glendale, Buckeye, etc. would be alienated by a move back to Phoenix.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
The delta of attendance between GRA and a potential East Valley location would probably be around 500-1000 fans for the average. Downtown would probably be a bit more than that, but it would depend on the venue IMO about how much more it'd be.

Yeah, downtown is pretty uniformly out of everyone's way... :laugh:

I can't speak fully to this because I moved from North Scottsdale to Peoria before GRA opened, but I did drive out to what is now the Westgate area a lot for other business so I can guesstimate. The difference for me is that the trip out to GRA is all on the 101 so really the sole modifier is traffic. Going down to TSRA from where I used to live (just west of Kierland on Greenway) ended up being a wash because of traffic off of the 51 and finding a spot to park. I'd say there was a delta of about 5-10 minutes all told of the trip to Westgate being longer assuming clear traffic on both routes. Entry/exit to Westgate/GRA is a lot easier IMO than TSRA, though, so that was a big modifier for me.
Not sure they'll be a fair comparison. If the Coyotes move DT in 3 years, they'll likely do so with a very talented/exciting team and given the finicky fan make-up of most fans in the market.....that will skew comparisons.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
But they wouldn't be moving to the far east. They would be moving to the center of the valley.

That's only true if they move to TSRA or a new arena in the immediate vicinity of TSRA.

The reservation location and ASU would both be a longer commute for me than the commute from North Scottsdale to Westgate. It'd be about the same commute as it takes from Gilbert to Westgate, I think. When I go to events at Gammage I budget an hour, and that's usually barely enough if there's any sort of traffic whatsoever.

For me, the TSRA area would be worth me getting a partial STH package, but if the Coyotes go anywhere else it's just not a good time or money investment anymore. C'est la vie, I've been a STH for over a decade now and I've had a lot of good memories from it. When they move, someone else can take up the torch of trying to keep the team solvent... :D

zz

Nov 1, 2006
If I wasn't a college student and had a 40 hour a week, 9 to 5 job, I have no idea how I would make weekday games on time.

Driving to that godforsaken place at 5pm on a weekday via i10 is just about the last thing anyone would want to do after a long day of work. I've done it maybe twice over 10 years, and I regretted it each time. So not worth it.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Driving to that godforsaken place at 5pm on a weekday via i10 is just about the last thing anyone would want to do after a long day of work. I've done it maybe twice over 10 years, and I regretted it each time. So not worth it.

I did it for some playoff games back in 2012, which they had us starting at either 5 p.m. or 6 p.m. because of national TV. It was HELL. Took me about 90 minutes to get from Tempe to the arena.

In contrast, weeknight 7 p.m. games, I could leave at 5:30 and fight through traffic to get there at 6:40, or I could wait until 6:10 to leave and have much less traffic to go through, and arrive at about 6:55.

DirtDogMesa

STH Sec 208 Row A
Oct 10, 2011
Mesa
Used to live in Mesa, roughly around Higley and Broadway. I also attended ASU for a bit and went to a lot of games then, whilst living in Tempe.

I live out of state (Utah) now. 10 hour drive to the arena :laugh:
I used to live at Southern and Higley, could have car pooled up until last season. Now down in Queen Creek, would lobe to see the Yotes move east, week night games make it rough to get to work at 6am

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
I'm only 7,117 miles outside of Phoenix. A mere 15 hour flight. Might be a little costly to be a STH :sarcasm:

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
A mile south of ASU.

I get the 13-game package, of which 5 or 6 are typically not Satursays. On those days, I've resorted to taking Sothern and Lower Buckeye all the way across to 91st Ave. just to stay off the freeways. Quite the scenic drive, that.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
A mile south of ASU.

I get the 13-game package, of which 5 or 6 are typically not Satursays. On those days, I've resorted to taking Sothern and Lower Buckeye all the way across to 91st Ave. just to stay off the freeways. Quite the scenic drive, that.

It wasn't to a Coyotes game but I once took Baseline (from 46th Street, where I worked) all the way out to 91st Avenue. Pretty nice drive indeed.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
It wasn't to a Coyotes game but I once took Baseline (from 46th Street, where I worked) all the way out to 91st Avenue. Pretty nice drive indeed.

Sorry; needed one of these. :sarcasm:

It's a different story along Southern and Buckeye Roads, unless you consider an endless series of muffler and transmission shops scenic.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Season Att

96-97 15585 lost in first round
97-98 15404 lost in first round
98-99 15547 lost in first round
99-00 14991 lost in first round (the newness is wearing off?)

Four years of losing in first round

00-01 14224 missed PO
01-02 13165 lost in first round
02-03 13229 missed PO
03-04 15467 move to Glendale (new shiny arena?) missed PO
04-05 Lockout

Gretzky coach

05-06 15582 missed PO
06-07 14988 missed PO
07-08 14820 missed PO
08-09 14875 missed PO

Bankruptcy/NHL owns team

09-10 11989 lost in first round
10-11 12188 lost in first round
11-12 12421 lost in WCF
12-13 13924 missed PO/lockout short season

Current Ownership

13-14 13776 missed PO
14-15 13345 missed PO and were terrible
15-16 12930

I won't vouch for the accuracy of the attendance numbers. I got them from http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=7450

Looks more like the area won't support a team with a history of losing or not getting better (not getting out of the 1st round). Fans stopped coming when they were playing downtown, so that might not be the cure-all.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I think the attendance numbers from the time the Coyotes moved to Glendale until Ice Arizona took over in 2013, need to be taken with a grain of salt, because there was a ridiculous amount of freebie tickets given out during those years.

LeBlanc even said as much when his group started running the team in 2013. Ice Arizona did away with the freebies almost entirely starting that season, so that makes the slight uptick in attendance in recent years more impressive than it looks on paper IMO.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It'd be interesting to see month-over-month attendance. It always goes up later in the season when baseball and football are finished, and the NHL playoffs are ramping up. IIRC for the 3 playoff years in Glendale, not only were all the playoff games sold out, but the string of games at the end of the season were well, particularly in 2012. All sellouts in April and May.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad