Which part of the Valley do you live in?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
The options are by no means hard cutoffs or anything, I just kinda made them up. Like I'm not going to say that "north central" has an exact border with "downtown/midtown" like, say, Bethany Home Road or whatever. If you're close to a possible gray area within the region, it's up to you. I just made up vague areas with my east side bias separating Scottsdale from the rest of the east side because it's culturally a lot different to me than most of the rest of the east side, but if there are any subtle differences between parts of the west side I'm not aware of them (other than Sun City being a bunch of retirees).

Personally I'm an east side girl (Tempe currently and originally, previously Mesa and Gilbert) but I've also lived in central midtown and out of state.

Edit: more specifically I'm just off Rural and Southern in Tempe, just off the Rural Road exit from the 60, and 2 miles west of the east valley's version of the north-south running of the 101. The southbound I-10 "east" is a couple miles west of here and the north side east-west 202 is about 3 miles north of here. I'm also just a couple miles from the borders of Arizona State's main Tempe campus.

Last edited:

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Question for you guys. I've been to Phoenix dozens and dozens of times, but since I'm from Omaha I don't know the city inside and out. But next year I will be attending Grand Canyon University, would you consider their campus to be the Central North side of Phoenix?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Question for you guys. I've been to Phoenix dozens and dozens of times, but since I'm from Omaha I don't know the city inside and out. But next year I will be attending Grand Canyon University, would you consider their campus to be the Central North side of Phoenix?

Central phoenix, or borderline, actually. Phoenix is very large north-south but bordered by other cities on both sides. Any particular reason you are going to GCU?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

That's very close to where I used to live by 19th Ave/Camelback across the street from Christown Mall. I'd call that "central midtown" because of how far north the metro area goes these days. The central business district (CBD, "downtown") is actually pretty southern in relation to how far out the valley expands, in terms of how blocks are numbered. Washington Street is the 0 divisor north and south and Central Avenue is the 0 divisor east and west. Camelback Avenue is the 50th block north of Washington Street, and 19th Avenue is, well... the 19th block west of Central Avenue. When I lived there, I worked off of Rose Garden Lane in the north valley which is numbered the 230th block north of Washington Street. There's not a lot of room to expand south of Washington Street in the central valley because of South Mountain being in the way, but you can go pretty far northwards, hence communities like Anthem, New River, and Black Canyon City could possibly call themselves part of "metro Phoenix" (I'd buy it for maybe Anthem but not the other two).

For east-west size reference, in Tempe (universally considered an "east valley" city) I live off of Rural Road (the same road is called "Scottsdale Road" if you take it into Scottsdale), which is 72 blocks east of Central Avenue, and hence the bus route that runs along is is route number 72. I also live something like 4 miles (not sure of number of blocks) south of Washington Street (or as it runs through Tempe, "Curry Road") next to Southern Avenue. ~1 mile south of Southern Avenue is Baseline Road, which is the southernmost major road that runs through the central Phoenix area along the foothills of South Mountain, a mere 5 or so miles south of Washington Street. The name "Baseline" is pretty descriptive of the kind of road it is because of that :laugh:

Edit: for reference the address of Gila River Arena is actually 9400 West Maryland Avenue (Maryland Avenue being a non-major road about halfway between Bethany Home Road to the south, the 60th block north of Washington Street, and Glendale Avenue, the 70th block north of Washington Street), which places it as 94 blocks west of Central Avenue. Despite it being ~65 blocks north of Washington Street (or where it would lie if it extended that far west), because of how far north the Phoenix valley extends, I'd describe the arena as having a "west-central" location.

Last edited:

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!

Yeah. I'd consider that to be south Phoenix. It's only a few miles from the stack. I'm at GCU as well. Go Lopes!

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
In terms of Coyotes and paid attendance it matters more if you actually attend games AND where you live.i attend games and live in the West Valley. I would still attend Downtown but won't be driving much further than that. The entertainment value to me just isn't there past a 30 minute drive.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
In terms of Coyotes and paid attendance it matters more if you actually attend games AND where you live.i attend games and live in the West Valley. I would still attend Downtown but won't be driving much further than that. The entertainment value to me just isn't there past a 30 minute drive.

I agree.

For the Coyotes it depends on how strongly you feel about them. I love following the team but as far as going to games goes, their arena being in the west valley and me not having a car, makes it quite the trek for me to go to a game. Since no longer having a car and dropping my season tickets, I manage to several times a season because they're worth it to me, as compared to sports events that would be easier for me to attend and around the same cost (or even cheaper). With the arena being based in Glendale, I'll trek out there for their games, and twice now Taylor Swift concerts, but many other events (sports and non-sports) I pass on solely because of distance and effort to get out there being a non-driver. Diamondbacks/Suns games are much easier for me to access but I don't care nearly as much unless the Blue Jays are in town (which is rare thanks to the AL-NL split), but I pass on those all the time, for comparison's sake.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I would still attend Downtown but won't be driving much further than that. The entertainment value to me just isn't there past a 30 minute drive.

That's pretty much everybody east of of the 51. A lot of people.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
That's pretty much everybody east of of the 51. A lot of people.

I know but there are quite a few West side folks presently attending that might share my view. The question is would you gain more than you lose by going East Valley or could you get both by going Downtown. I'd put my money on Downtown if I was the owner but that might not even be an option??

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I know but there are quite a few West side folks presently attending that might share my view. The question is would you gain more than you lose by going East Valley or could you get both by going Downtown. I'd put my money on Downtown if I was the owner but that might not even be an option??

Downtown is the most central location for everyone. Best place I've heard about is a new arena shared with the Suns in the location of the old convention center.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I may have asked this before but if you count the ease of parking and exit roughly how much different is commute to GRA vs TSA from North Scottsdale?

howlincoyote2k1

Apr 14, 2005
Provo, Utah
Used to live in Mesa, roughly around Higley and Broadway. I also attended ASU for a bit and went to a lot of games then, whilst living in Tempe.

I live out of state (Utah) now. 10 hour drive to the arena :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad