Which part of the Valley do you live in?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Serious question. (used to live in Scottsdale, but I'm now out of state.) In many U.S. cities there is a revitalization going on with more people moving downtown. It's somewhat reversing the trend of those with money moving to the burbs.

Is this happening at all in Phoenix?

It's happening. Total inventory of available places to live downtown is going way up. Lots of new development, infill, that sort of thing. Light rail has really helped in that regard, as well as the ASU and UofA facilities.

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...-rapid-growth-development-of-downtown-phoenix

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
The Feckless Puck said:
They've really done a good job of trying to revitalize downtown Phoenix.

It's happening. Total inventory of available places to live downtown is going way up. Lots of new development, infill, that sort of thing. Light rail has really helped in that regard, as well as the ASU and UofA facilities.

This is good. I'm hoping for a downtown arena.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Serious question. (used to live in Scottsdale, but I'm now out of state.) In many U.S. cities there is a revitalization going on with more people moving downtown. It's somewhat reversing the trend of those with money moving to the burbs.

Is this happening at all in Phoenix?

When I live in AZ in the 80s the downtown area was a ghost town after 6 PM...no one lived there and downtown nightlife was non-existent. What's it like now?
Sort of...it's pretty big with hipsters and the art community and it's also starting to attract some yuppie's. There's a lot of new development and downtown definitely has a lot more going on these days than in the past. It's not reversing any trends in regards to moving to the suburbs though, far from it. If anything it's becoming more of a nightlife destination spot like Oldtown and Mill which is definitely cool.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
This is good. I'm hoping for a downtown arena.

Personally, I'm not - even though it would be closer to me.

The Coyotes' arena should have been built where Tempe Marketplace is now if we're talking the best location in the Valley. Not Los Arcos, and not Westgate. Tempe Marketplace is right at the intersection of major freeways, right down the road from the airport, within easy driving distance of downtown and ASU, and a straight drive south from the biggest money in the city.

If there's a possibility of getting a new arena in that general area, that's where the focus should be. It might be a different story if downtown was more of a "living space" than a "destination space," but realistically the population that would go to a hockey game is outside of the downtown area.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Personally, I'm not - even though it would be closer to me.

The Coyotes' arena should have been built where Tempe Marketplace is now if we're talking the best location in the Valley. Not Los Arcos, and not Westgate. Tempe Marketplace is right at the intersection of major freeways, right down the road from the airport, within easy driving distance of downtown and ASU, and a straight drive south from the biggest money in the city.

If there's a possibility of getting a new arena in that general area, that's where the focus should be. It might be a different story if downtown was more of a "living space" than a "destination space," but realistically the population that would go to a hockey game is outside of the downtown area.

ASU isn't that far away from your spot.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
ASU isn't that far away from your spot.

The AFD, where the arena would be built, includes land on the opposite side of McClintock from Tempe Marketplace. Until Tempe gets the street car thing settled, being closer to the campus (and thus light rail) is probably better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad