Which one means more, Olympic gold or Stanley cup?

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
So whose fault is it that North Americans are so insular that they can't or won't take international competitions seriously? Why do they have this attitude that everything North American is better?

When we do take it seriously we win easily in hockey. Flag waving, chest thumping is stupid.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Stanley Cup and I don't think it is even close (for me anyways obviously the European fans think much differently.)

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
So whose fault is it that North Americans are so insular that they can't or won't take international competitions seriously? Why do they have this attitude that everything North American is better?

If you actually want to know the answer to the bolded part of the question it would probably be best to not include the 100% false part that comes before it.

It seems a little like the famous have you stopped beating your wife yet question. You are attributing something that is not there.

It has nothing to do with being insular at all and everything to do with recognizing that most of those tournaments are not best on best so don't really have much relevance or value in them.

It isn't like it is only NA fans or hockey fans. The Europa League is much less valued than Champions League because of the quality of teams playing in each.

Its also not that everything in NA is better, its everything that has the best talent and teams is better.

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
1. It happens once every four years
2. You need to be selected for your national team first.
2A. For top nations, you have to be really good to make the team.
2 B. For bottom nations, you don't have to be good, but you will not win, period (1980 USA is the sole exception).
So for a guy like Sid,who is a lock for Canada and gets to play on by the most stacked roster. It's harder to win an Olympic medal?

I disagree. Because there are "only four really good teams" that actually makes it easier. Sure it's harder to make the team, but the grind when you get there is much, much easier. Any team can beat any team in a playoff game, the same cant be said until the very last games of an Olympics. Canada was maybe really tested once or twice last Olympics, Pittsburgh was tested for 30+ games.

It's harder to get to the Olympics than it is to win it, the same can't be said for the Cup.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Why do you assume Europeans care for Stanley Cup? We don't have our "local" NHL teams and most barely know what Stanley Cup is till 16yo (though NHL games and youtube might have changed it). Our experience comes and love for hockey comes from watching OUR local teams from which the best players get the chance to represant our countries in Olympics or WC which is a big deal since it's our team. NHL is just a scouting program to see who are doing well, or thats how my NHL following started. My first memories are watching World Championship on my dads lap, not NHL. Watching IIHF WC and national hockey is a tradition which all Finns do, NHL isn't. Get your head out of your ass and try to think globally.

Hi, I live in Germany. I guess you missed that detail?

I watch DEL, KHL, follow NHL, Spengler Cup, U20, and have been to 20+ IIHF games. Been to pro games in 5 countries.

Quite a rude comment about the ass my man. The thread isn't about IIHF WC, so you're actually OT mate. I volunteered at the last one and saw all the games in Cologne. Good times. Does it mean the IIHF WC is harder to win or "means more" than a Stanley Cup or Olympic gold... nope. Imho IIHF WC is a better tournament than the Olympics. Nonetheless the Stanley Cup is by far the hardest to win and doesn't involve the game of "shootout". All the best players are competing for the Stanley Cup annually. When they're out of that tournament early they normally join their respective IIHF WC squad (NEVER the inverse).

Simply because of timezones and your personal experience you choose IIHF WC (not Olympic Gold or Stanley Cup). It's fine. I'm just not one for shootouts or single-game elimination formats.

I'd love for the NHL to loose it's monopoly on the Cup, somehow grow into Europe, &/or collaborate with the Euro leagues. Nonetheless you're not going to catch me Homerishly celebrating the joke that was the 2018 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey tournament or Sweden's 2017 shootout IIHF gold. We can leave that for the children and uninitiated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad