Which one means more, Olympic gold or Stanley cup?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Stanley Cup

HOWEVER............ Just the 2010 Olympics is pretty even in value. I mean that game and event is one of the most important events in canadian history.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
All the people saying SC are hit by the NA virus that makes me shrug, but they are still just a small group from 2 countries mostly thiroughly brainwashed by the NHL narratives.

International sports is always way more meaningful than any local league in the world.

BerlinBlueShirt

Feb 25, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I think if all the best athletes would participate it would easily be Olympic Gold. Of course it is hard to win the Stanley Cup with 82 games plus playoffs but to even participate in the Olympics you would have to be one of the 30 best athletes in your country. Then it is only every 4 years, so a lot of really really good players wouldnt even have the chance to play for Olympic Gold. And if they have the chance then it is maybe once in their lifetimes. On the other hand you can play like 15yrs of professional hockey so even some barely NHL-caliber guys can be lucky to be a 4th line grinder in a Stanley Cup winning Team. It is not only the Crosbys, Malkins winning StanleyCups it is also the Kühnhackls. A guy like Wingels could be a Stanley Cup winner this year by being luckily traded to the Bruins but he would never be part of Olympic Team.

It would be like in soccer where a World Championship easily means more than a Champions League victory.

As not all the best athletes compete in the Olyimpics I think it is like many wrote before. North American prefer Lord Stanley, the Euros value the Olympics higher.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
All the people saying SC are hit by the NA virus that makes me shrug, but they are still just a small group from 2 countries mostly thiroughly brainwashed by the NHL narratives.

International sports is always way more meaningful than any local league in the world.

You are funny.

International sports are not always more meaningful, not by a long shot. If SC fans are hit by the NA virus, I guess you're hit by the Russian nationalist virus, where a second grade tournament Gold means more than it should.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
You are funny.

International sports are not always more meaningful, not by a long shot. If SC fans are hit by the NA virus, I guess you're hit by the Russian nationalist virus, where a second grade tournament Gold means more than it should.
What is a nationalist virus?Tell me. You seem to know a lot about that.

The more you try the more it makes me smirk at ypur doctrines, narratives and propaganda.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Stanley Cup. Without a doubt.
I put the Olympic medal on the same level as the Memorial Cup and winning the World Juniors.

I still chuckle every time a European fan count World Hockey Championship medals like they count for anything. They probably have them in a vending machine at the event :sarcasm:
Honestly, most countries send their 'C' squad to that tourny and big stars rarely accept the invite.

Last edited:

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
It takes a minimum of 16 wins to capture the Stanley Cup, and a minimum of 6 to win Olympic gold. It’s not even close. The Stanley Cup means more. The Olympics are a sideshow.
Typical everything is bigger and better North American attitude, especially wrong for what is just a trophy competed for by teams from two countries.

The Olympics is THE trophy to win and it shouldn't even be close to any open minded ice hockey supporter.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Stanley Cup. Without a doubt.
I put the Olympic medal on the same level as the Memorial Cup and winning the World Juniors.

I still chuckle every time a European fan count World Hockey Championship medals like they count for anything. They probably have them in a vending machine at the event :sarcasm:
Honestly, most countries send their 'C' squad to that tourny and big stars rarely accept the invite.
So whose fault is it that North Americans are so insular that they can't or won't take international competitions seriously? Why do they have this attitude that everything North American is better?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
With all the players in the Olympics = Olympic gold.

When the NHL players aren't participating = Stanley cup.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
So whose fault is it that North Americans are so insular that they can't or won't take international competitions seriously? Why do they have this attitude that everything North American is better?
They take international tournies seriously but not when it's not best-on-best. The World Championship is a legit B-level event in terms of talent.

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
For hockey, Olympic gold. It’s harder to win and more rare.
How on Earth is Olympic gold harder to win? You need to grind out 16 wins to against equal talent to win a cup. The Olympics requires you to beat 4 or 5 teams far less talented than yours then winning single elimination games without the grueling battle of getting beat up day in and day out...

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
What is a nationalist virus?Tell me. You seem to know a lot about that.

The more you try the more it makes me smirk at ypur doctrines, narratives and propaganda.

Edit: Nevermind.

Lets both just smirk and be happy about it.

Last edited:

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Something might be harder and still mean less.
Possibly, I just don't find a gold medal as impressive when it's easier to earn, especially if it's not best on best. This latest tournament for example while Germany was a great story was a bit of a joke. The quality of hockey wasn't NHL quality, for me it's not about winning it's about watching the best complete and the quality of the game.

I didn't want to like the NHL version of the World Cup but watching McDavid and Matthews on a line together was beautiful, that's what I want out of any tournament.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
The Canadian teams in 02,10 and 14 is comprised 100% of NHL players. A player can theoretically win 4 cups for every Gold because the Olympics is held once every 4 years. The NHL could have the SC playoffs once every 4 years doesn't make it any more prestigious.

Agree with the bolded. But you also have to agree that it makes it harder to attain because of this too.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
How on Earth is Olympic gold harder to win? You need to grind out 16 wins to against equal talent to win a cup. The Olympics requires you to beat 4 or 5 teams far less talented than yours then winning single elimination games without the grueling battle of getting beat up day in and day out...
1. It happens once every four years
2. You need to be selected for your national team first.
2A. For top nations, you have to be really good to make the team.
2 B. For bottom nations, you don't have to be good, but you will not win, period (1980 USA is the sole exception).

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
If you're from the Americas, Stanley cup, European then it's Olympic gold.

You got the right answer. It's really a cultural thing.

Take soccer. For the south Americans, the world cup is generally the Pinnacle, whereas the English players lay alot more importance on domestic competition. That's not to say they don't care about the world cup, but I don't think it's at the same level as the south Americans at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad