Which Oilers get traded?

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Gary-Oldman-Yelling-Everyone-Leon-The-Professional.gif

Except McDavid, Hall, Drai, Klef and Nurse of course :)

Actually, probably only Purcell and Schultz.

I like the gif :D Realistically, yes only Purcell and Schultz. Honestly... and I am a Yakupov fan, but the guy needs a reset elsewhere. He will not gain traction in that top 6.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Purcell is the only one I can see anybody wanting, and that'll be for a pick. Eberle or RNH won't happen during the season.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The RFA status does complicate things.

However what's stopping that same team talking to him and saying they want to invest in him but need him to prove his worth and they offer him 2 million as a ufa for one year
Absolutely the RFA status complicates things. Quite a bit for a player making much more than he's proven to be worth, IMO.

Why give up an asset in the scenario you suggest? It's only worth the risk for a player you think can help now. Do you think Schultz can help someone now? It's even more of a risk for someone like Schultz who entered the league the way he did. He's proven he'll go where he thinks the money might be. I see another GM risking a small free agent contract on him this summer when there isn't anything to lose with him. I don't see a GM trading an asset for him and hoping he'll sign a smaller contract in good faith for something bigger down the road. I guess we'll find out in 13 days.:)

Bangers

May 31, 2006
If Purcell and Schultz are still on the team after the deadline, Chiarelli should be sacked.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
If one were to write down, right now, what they think will happen in trades for the Oilers this TD, Draft and summer, then compare what actually does happen, they will be very surprised by the difference; including Chiarelli.

I think he would like to revamp his roster drastically, but will he get offers that are worthy of making blockbuster moves? If he could get Petrangello, I'm sure he'd be willing to move Hall.

Chia will have to make some cold calls to GMs, offering Hall/RNH/3rd OA pick, but will they be willing to give us the impact Dman he is asking for?

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Dude. Take a breath. Both might not claimed on waivers. Off season gone

Not freaking out (although expressions like 'step back from the ledge' and 'take a breath' do tend to **** me off), but if deals can't get done around those two, it's Tambo's final deadline all over again.

Purcell has value (especially if salary is retained) - if Chiarelli waived him, a team would claim him for sure - but that would be stupid, as It's highly likely that a team like Florida will give up at least a mid-round pick for him.

Schultz? Moved if he has value, waived/sent down to Bakersfield if he doesn't. Defensive depth is at a premium after the trade deadline (especially with D-men who have expiring contracts), so he should be able to garner something in return.

Gambl0r83*

They just better not touch Nuge, even in the summer. He's so underrated on our team, and we've been suffering without him.
We will regret it so bad down the road if we trade him now.
22 yr old center with loads of potential. Remember, Datsyuk didn't become a PPG and rising star until he hit 24. I see Nuge in the same light

Eberle as well, these kids are turning into men, still climbing to reach their prime.

Schultz and Yakupov need to go. They hurt alot more than help

Everyone is saying rip the team apart. But I had an interesting conversation with Uncle over the weekend, and agreed we need to keep this team together.
All the best teams in the leauge started off at the bottom or mediocre. They kept the same team together until they became playoff contenders. Ala St. Louis, Chicago, LA, Washington, Anaheim, Nashville.
All these teams are now well known contenders, but there were all once bottom feeders. All those teams kept most of their players until now. Except Chicago due to winning so many cups. But still kept it's nucleus.

The Oilers have been a merry go round when it comes to retaining players. Hall Hopkins and Eberle are the only 3 Oilers that are 5 yrs +
When the corner turns for them, and it's soon IMO, we will turn into that playoff contending team.

Letting go of any of them would be a huge mistake and a waste of a very long term built up investment.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
JS and Purcell seem most likely, with Hendricks being the next guy who might have value.

And for that you'd garner a 4th, 2nd and 4th round pick... Or AKA not much this team needs.

I wonder what it would take to get Vatanen? That would be a start, then grab a UFA DMan in the summer. Anaheim has other pieces the Oil could use too, guys like like Maroon or Ritchie or Silvfreburg...

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Purcell is likely gone. Mact stated there was interest in him last year at the deadline but he decided to keep him. As bad as Schultz is, some team will take a chance on him. Looking at it from another teams perspective: at worst, he becomes 7th dmen and you walk away from him in the offseason. Best case, he becomes useful for them and they don't give up much to get him.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Purcell is likely gone. Mact stated there was interest in him last year at the deadline but he decided to keep him. As bad as Schultz is, some team will take a chance on him. Looking at it from another teams perspective: at worst, he becomes 7th dmen and you walk away from him in the offseason. Best case, he becomes useful for them and they don't give up much to get him.

Especially since the Oilers can afford to retain salary. If the Oilers retain 50%, Schultz and Purcell would each cost less than $250,000 against the other team's cap.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
With Gryba hurt and possibly re-signing to be our 7th D next year, I think Fayne will also be dealt.

He doesn't fit McLellan's system, we could use the cap room, and has value, especially to Eastern teams.

Purcell and Schultz are pretty much gone and it wouldn't surprise me if Pouliot is shopped either, he's not a Chiarelli style power forward, not really a veteran leader and McLellan is really pissed about the dumb penalties.

Last edited:

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
With Gryba hurt and possibly re-signing to be our 7th D next year, I think Fayne will also be dealt.

He doesn't fit McLellan's system, we could use the cap room, and has value, especially to Eastern teams.

Purcell and Schultz are pretty much gone and it wouldn't surprise me if Pouliot is shopped either, he's not a Chiarelli style power forward, not really a veteran leader and McLellan is really pissed about the dumb penalties.

Gryba has played well for us the 2nd half of the season and now that he's injured, the Oilers will likely re-sign him instead of looking for a trade, and if they do re-sign him, he'll be our #6 for sure. he's shown that he can play and i doubt they'd sign him to be a bench warmer at #7. keep Clendening or someone else who's more mediocre at #7.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
A team going all in--needing another Dman that can play in all situation--2nd and a good prospect?

or a late 1st?

Davidson is a darkhorse to be traded

in theory he is our 5/6 guy with Gryba--but both are playing way more then they should and I am curious what davidson's ask will be for his next contract

So, just to be clear. This team deperately:shakehead needs decent NHL defenceman, and you want to trade one of the only ones that we have for futures?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I said Purcell, Lander and Schultz. After listening to Rishaug he makes a very valuable point on Yak that his contract doesn't exactly price him off the team like it does Schultz.

Purcell, I'd love to bring him back cheap but I just don't see him signing cheap right now. He's having a good year and this could be his last chance to score a 3+ year deal. Not sure he gives that chance at this point. Maybe he re-signs after dust settles?

Lander, they just don't use him and there are a few teams out there that could use cheap depth at center going into the playoffs.

Schultz, if he's not dealt I expect him to be waived. Schultz is a guy you can take a chance on if you are a bottom feeder or a contender.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Sorry, what do you mean by 'under control for awhile'?

You wouldn't trade him for a second and a prospect? Again, depending on the prospect...

Not at all.

Davidson helps the Oilers more today and tomorrow then a pick + prospect...thats a backwards move...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad