Which Oilers get traded?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
A team going all in--needing another Dman that can play in all situation--2nd and a good prospect?

or a late 1st?

Davidson is a darkhorse to be traded

in theory he is our 5/6 guy with Gryba--but both are playing way more then they should and I am curious what davidson's ask will be for his next contract

Absolutely agreed either of those are offers the Oilers couldn't turn down for Davidson.

That is an insane return for Davidson with zero chance of happening. You will see much higher quality defencemen going for significantly less than that at the TDL.

This discussion was in another thread, but I see Davidson potentially asking for 3 years at a 1.25M aav. Not sure if he'll get both the term and the dollars, but that's probably close to his ask.

The Oilers traded David Perron for what they thought would be a late first rounder last year. Does anyone see Davidson and Perron as equivalent in value?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
A team going all in--needing another Dman that can play in all situation--2nd and a good prospect?

or a late 1st?

Davidson is a darkhorse to be traded

in theory he is our 5/6 guy with Gryba--but both are playing way more then they should and I am curious what davidson's ask will be for his next contract

Absolutely not. Davidson's played well and is under control for awhile. Zero interest in moving him for picks.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Absolutely not. Davidson's played well and is under control for awhile. Zero interest in moving him for picks.

Sorry, what do you mean by 'under control for awhile'?

You wouldn't trade him for a second and a prospect? Again, depending on the prospect...

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Sorry, what do you mean by 'under control for awhile'?

You wouldn't trade him for a second and a prospect? Again, depending on the prospect...

No, I wouldn't. Trading NHLers for a never ending cycle of prospects that might not amount to anything is one of the reasons we're in the mess we're in.

And by under control I mean contract status.

Last edited:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
No, I wouldn't. Trading NHLers for a never ending cycle of prospects that might not amount to anything is one of the reasons we're in the mess we're in.

And by under control I mean contract status.

That's what I thought you meant. He'll be an RFA in the off-season. If he was under contract for a few more years that totally changes the conversation.

I get what you are saying about a never ending cycle of prospects.

Teams are getting a lot stingier with trading first and second round picks. I think a first rounder is a great chip that could be used as a +
to get this team top pairing help.

Given that Davidson is not untouchable, and nobody could really be saying that he is. Who/what would it take for you to move him?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
That's what I thought you meant. He'll be an RFA in the off-season. If he was under contract for a few more years that totally changes the conversation.

I get what you are saying about a never ending cycle of prospects.

Teams are getting a lot stingier with trading first and second round picks. I think a first rounder is a great chip that could be used as a +
to get this team top pairing help.

Given that Davidson is not untouchable, and nobody could really be saying that he is. Who/what would it take for you to move him?

I'd need a 1st rounder or a similar right shot D.

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van

Right with you here. The only way I'd trade Davidson is if it was in a package for a superior D man. They should also resign Gryba. The Oil shouldn't be depleting the Defensive depth, they should be adding to it.

I'm with BBO on who goes at the deadline. Purcell, Schultz and Hendricks are the most likely to move. There may even be a team desperate enough for defense that they offer a late rounder for Nikitin.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I'm starting to think it might be Hall, if the return is a game-changing Dman.

baring an unforeseen blockbuster.... I'm thinking Ebs.

they can throw Drai on the wing with McD, and keep RNH as the 2C.

Jujahr might be a 2nd liner as well.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Purcell and maybe Gryba. Schultz won't be traded because of the qualifying offer attached to his contract. Once the deadline passes he'll be waived and sent down. Maybe be we see a minor prospect dealt as well. The bigger names on the roster won't happen until the summer when I think just about anybody not named McDavid could be in play.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
Voted Gryba, Schultz, Purcell and Eberle

I dont actually think Eberle gets traded more just wishful thinking cause if he is moved it means we got our top D (I really like Eberle just really want a top end D)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If RNH, Hall, or Eberle can net a top end D man, we gotta pull the trigger. I've come to terms with the fact that someone needs to get moved. What we got ain't working.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Teddy will go because he actually has value.

Schultz will be moved with retention just to free up the spot.

Outside of those two I wouldn't be surprised to see Chia make a "deck chairs on the titanic" move, something Hunt for Ehrhoff. But I think the other sellable assets (Gyrba, Fayne, Korpikoski, Hendricks) stay.

Down the stretch

Pouliot-McDavid-Eberle
Hall-Draisaitl-Kassian
RNH-Letestu-Yakupov
Korpikoski-Hendricks-Pakarinen

Sekera-Fayne
Klefbom-Ehrhoff
Davidson-Gyrba

Talbot
Nilsson

Popcorn gang: Lander and Clendening

Nurse and Brossoit go back to Bakersfield and get some playoff experience.

tikkanen

Jan 1, 2016
red deer
If RNH, Hall, or Eberle can net a top end D man, we gotta pull the trigger. I've come to terms with the fact that someone needs to get moved. What we got ain't working.

Agreed 100%.
Hall-other then the 7 game streak has posted long spells of absolutely nothing to sandwhich the streak. Last 25 games he is at less then 1/2 point per game and 3---count them-3 stinking goals in last 25 games. Is he hurt? Is it the coach-drai-purcells fault? Is he fed up or is he only able top produce when not much is on the line? Poor in his own end and unable to produce in traffic is my call. Good on the fly no doubt but this isn't a on-the-fly league. Eberle had 12 points in the last 25 games prior to Macdavid-pouliot had 13 points in those same games prior to Macdavid. I wouldn't trade Eberle. He wont get us a top end rearguard and he is trending up and is a great sidekick to Macdavid.
If we want a top defensemen Hall is all we got to deal unless we want to trade Drai or Macdavid. Not saying Hall is bad but I think he will get us what we need and we have reasonable wingers to take his minutes. Ain't ideal but we are last and desperately need a stud at the back. We are last again and big moves need to be made.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Teddy will go because he actually has value.

Schultz will be moved with retention just to free up the spot.

Outside of those two I wouldn't be surprised to see Chia make a "deck chairs on the titanic" move, something Hunt for Ehrhoff. But I think the other sellable assets (Gyrba, Fayne, Korpikoski, Hendricks) stay.

Down the stretch

Pouliot-McDavid-Eberle
Hall-Draisaitl-Kassian
RNH-Letestu-Yakupov
Korpikoski-Hendricks-Pakarinen

Sekera-Fayne
Klefbom-Ehrhoff
Davidson-Gyrba

Talbot
Nilsson

Popcorn gang: Lander and Clendening

Nurse and Brossoit go back to Bakersfield and get some playoff experience.
The Oilers retaining part of Schultz' contract isn't the obstacle in the way of trading him. It's the fact that whoever owns his rights has to qualify him at $4 million for next year. Nobody is going to trade for him now when he can be signed at a fraction of that cost this offseason. I can't see there being enough interest in him around the league to give up an asset to control his rights. There won't be a bidding war for his services this time around.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
The Oilers retaining part of Schultz' contract isn't the obstacle in the way of trading him. It's the fact that whoever owns his rights has to qualify him at $4 million for next year. Nobody is going to trade for him now when he can be signed at a fraction of that cost this offseason. I can't see there being enough interest in him around the league to give up an asset to control his rights. There won't be a bidding war for his services this time around.

They don't have to qualify him?
People here are ridiculous.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
They don't have to qualify him?
People here are ridiculous.

Not sure what you're trying to say here.

Are you suggesting that some teams might think Schultz can help them now? That he would be a helpful addition to somebody for a playoff run and then just part ways with him when their season ends, like a rental? If that's the case then sure maybe somebody might want him. I don't see that happening off of how he's not only played this year but actually the last three years. I could be wrong though.

I see any possible interest in him as being as a project with low risk and possible high reward. You don't pay those types of guys $4 million per year. Closer to league minimum. That's why I think his RFA status impedes any trade now. Maybe you could explain where I'm wrong here and tell me how I'm being ridiculous.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Not sure what you're trying to say here.

Are you suggesting that some teams might think Schultz can help them now? That he would be a helpful addition to somebody for a playoff run and then just part ways with him when their season ends, like a rental? If that's the case then sure maybe somebody might want him. I don't see that happening off of how he's not only played this year but actually the last three years. I could be wrong though.

I see any possible interest in him as being as a project with low risk and possible high reward. You don't pay those types of guys $4 million per year. Closer to league minimum. That's why I think his RFA status impedes any trade now. Maybe you could explain where I'm wrong here and tell me how I'm being ridiculous.
The RFA status does complicate things.

However what's stopping that same team talking to him and saying they want to invest in him but need him to prove his worth and they offer him 2 million as a ufa for one year

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Gary-Oldman-Yelling-Everyone-Leon-The-Professional.gif

Except McDavid, Hall, Drai, Klef and Nurse of course :)

Actually, probably only Purcell and Schultz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad