Which Oilers forward (past or present) would be the best linemate for McDavid?

Which one?

• Total voters

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
There's a good argument to made for a ton of these guys.
Meesier, Kurri, Drai, Simpson...

If you wanted to keep Drai and McDavid at center I think I'd go with

Messier-McDavid-Kurri
Tikkanen-Drai-Hemsky

Man. Imagine if Hemsky got to play with talent like that during his prime. While I realize that you wouldn't trade McDavid for 2 Hemskys, I really don't think there'd be a huge difference in Drai's 5 on 5 goals scored with Hemsky on his wing.

While Simpson was way better offensively than Tikkanen, I think Esa brings much needed meat and potatoes to his line.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I see a lot of people saying Anderson.

I mean, it theoretically made sense, but I found Hall and Anderson to be remarkably similar players.

Hall just didn't work with McDavid, for a lot of the reasons I don't think Anderson would.

They loved to carry the puck, but he also did this thing, where they push the puck out of reach ahead of everyone, and be the first one to doggedly chase it (which also created a lot of chaos).

I think Hall and Anderson weren't particularly cerebral players, they utilized superior athleticism, speed, and dogged determination to excel.

McD needs cerebral players who are clever, and can work with unpredictability. Speed is just one element that makes McDavid so unpredictable. It's not that he's a burner 90% of the shift. It's that he turns it on when you least expect it to sidestep a man back, or create holes.

I was born in 1981 and I really can't remember a whole lot of players from many of our players back then.
I can remember Coffey's skating.
I can remember Messier beat the crap out of people.
I can remember hearing the announcers screaming the names of Kurri, Gretzy and Messier tons of times, but I really can't for the life of me remember what happened.

But with Glen Anderson, that's the only guy I can remember watching. Crashing into the net. Blazing down the ice. Slashing and high sticking everyone. Scoring a ton of goals.

When Hall was drafted I thought we had a Glen Anderson and we didn't. Glen Anderson loved having the puck, but he didn't hold onto it for nearly as long as Hall did. Glen Anderson usually had his mind made up about what he was going to do before he had the puck. Not saying he had uber high hockey IQ and saw plays unfolding before they happened like McDavid. He just had his mind made up before getting the puck.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I was born in 1981 and I really can't remember a whole lot of players from many of our players back then.
I can remember Coffey's skating.
I can remember Messier beat the crap out of people.
I can remember hearing the announcers screaming the names of Kurri, Gretzy and Messier tons of times, but I really can't for the life of me remember what happened.

But with Glen Anderson, that's the only guy I can remember watching. Crashing into the net. Blazing down the ice. Slashing and high sticking everyone. Scoring a ton of goals.

When Hall was drafted I thought we had a Glen Anderson and we didn't. Glen Anderson loved having the puck, but he didn't hold onto it for nearly as long as Hall did. Glen Anderson usually had his mind made up about what he was going to do before he had the puck. Not saying he had uber high hockey IQ and saw plays unfolding before they happened like McDavid. He just had his mind made up before getting the puck.
Playing within your ability is the defining criteria of a “player”.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Lafreniere . Sorry i had too
I don't want him.
I'm sure he'd be great.
I just REALLY want to move forward.
I'd rather get Lafreniere than losing 4-0 in the first real playoff round.
I'd rather lose 4-3 in the first real playoff round than getting Lafreniere.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
A lot has to do with the era. If we're pretending this is 1985 then Kurri. But honestly I think a lot of those old Oilers would be completely wrecked by modern defensive systems. Half the time those Oilers were playing against lines that wouldn't make many AHL teams today, and shooting on goalies with half the padding. If it's 2020 then honestly it's Draisaitl hands down, no questions. I just can't see that anyone could do *better* than Drai did in for example the 16-17 season, where they were far and away the best duo in hockey facing the toughest competition every night.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
A lot has to do with the era. If we're pretending this is 1985 then Kurri. But honestly I think a lot of those old Oilers would be completely wrecked by modern defensive systems. Half the time those Oilers were playing against lines that wouldn't make many AHL teams today, and shooting on goalies with half the padding. If it's 2020 then honestly it's Draisaitl hands down, no questions. I just can't see that anyone could do *better* than Drai did in for example the 16-17 season, where they were far and away the best duo in hockey facing the toughest competition every night.
Messier retired in 2004. Just sayin.’

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I don't want him.
I'm sure he'd be great.
I just REALLY want to move forward.
I'd rather get Lafreniere than losing 4-0 in the first real playoff round.
I'd rather lose 4-3 in the first real playoff round than getting Lafreniere.
Here's the beauty.

We lose the play-in round.
Win Lafreniere.

Then the playoffs get cancelled anyways cuz of COVID.

:D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad