Which Oilers forward (past or present) would be the best linemate for McDavid?

Which one?

• Total voters

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I went with Hemsky. He was just in the wrong era unfortunately. I firmly believe if he was in the league now in his prime he'd be crazy. lol
I disagree. Hemsky even in his absolute prime had mediocre at best finishing skills. I think Hemsky is stylistically too similar to McDavid. McDavid is obviously way better at everything but the way they see the ice and the way they attack and even handle the puck is very similar.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Agreed. I don't think Penner and Smyth's skillsets were that similar, either.

Put Smyth with McDavid on the PP, sure. 5-on-5 there's probably 10 players on that list I'd have ahead of Smyth

Penner couldn't carry Smyth's jock strap. Talented but lacked the drive and passion, hence a far worse career and much less versatility. There's a reason Colorado backed up the brinks truck for Smyth, he was a rare talent.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Picked Anderson, with respect to Kurri. But Anderson exploited D better imo, and could score in more unique ways and through creating holes in the D. Andersons ability to create on the fly was unparalleled at the time aside from Gretzky. Anderson could beat D so many ways and leave D pounding sticks in anger. When Anderson went through D opponents would just shake heads and drop chin and go to the bench demoralized. Anderson goals, particularly playoff goals were so often gut punchers.

Kurri in contrast was the best finisher of odd man breaks, blown coverage, and scored a lot of goals on standard rush up the ring setups from Gretzky. Kurri was gifted, but had a whole career playing with Gretzky. Without Wayne giving passes from heaven how many does Kurri finish? Not taking anything away from the shot. Kurri had a very good shot. But goalies today are moving across ice better and making some of those saves.

Finally I like that Anderson was a dirty sob player. Which is the right look playing with McD. The trouble with the Gretzky-Kurri line is they could get leaned on and punked. So that they oft needed a Semenko or Krusher, or McSorley to ride shotgun once in awhile. McD and Anderson handle their own push back. Its why Mess-Anderson were so effective. Take no guff, dish it out, score goals. They were scary in a lot of ways. They'd either cut your soul making a ridiculous play undressing you or cut you up, period.

I picked Kurri but it was basically a coin flip with Anderson. I think that upon further consideration, Anderson's speed and grit would probably make for a better combo. Kurri would be complementary to #97 while Anderson would create more synergy.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Penner couldn't carry Smyth's jock strap. Talented but lacked the drive and passion, hence a far worse career and much less versatility. There's a reason Colorado backed up the brinks truck for Smyth, he was a rare talent.

If you for whatever reason think my previous post opposed this view, you are mistaken.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I picked Kurri but it was basically a coin flip with Anderson. I think that upon further consideration, Anderson's speed and grit would probably make for a better combo. Kurri would be complementary to #97 while Anderson would create more synergy.
Kurri on one side and Andy on the other would make it an epic line for all time. Creativity in the middle, pure sniping on one side, and grit and nastiness on the other, all at warp speed.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

oilsplatzz

Apr 14, 2018
What you say about Anderson's nasty side is true. But he'd never get away with it today because much of his nastiness came from carving guys. That's the kind of thing that would get you suspended multiple times in today's game.

He would certainly have fit well with McDavid. McDavid in particular plays well with guys who will crash the net. Anderson was as fearless in that regard as any player I have ever seen. But you may be underestimating Kurri's individual skill. After the Gretzky trade Kurri did have a 93 points season with 60 assists while still being terrific defensively. He was actually a fantastic playmaker in his own right.
Anderson was so explosive and smart a player he did his nastiness in a way that was hidden, it quite often could have been an accident the way his stick went up your nose,or it could have been deliberate, different ways of looking at it lol and he sacrificed his body to ram the goalie,,it could have been an accident, after all who would ram towards the goal back in those days with total disregard for your body. his drive to get a goal at whatever cost is still unheard of back then,or now.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
One of the league's best skaters and the ability to take a pass and put it in the net. Kurri easily.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Anderson was so explosive and smart a player he did his nastiness in a way that was hidden, it quite often could have been an accident the way his stick went up your nose,or it could have been deliberate, different ways of looking at it lol and he sacrificed his body to ram the goalie,,it could have been an accident, after all who would ram towards the goal back in those days with total disregard for your body. his drive to get a goal at whatever cost is still unheard of back then,or now.

Having seen him play live hundreds of times I can say with 100% confidence that when it came to carving guys it was often clear it was intentional. :) Though there is certainly truth to what you say in terms of crashing into goalies. It was of course a different time.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Hemsky. He did decent in his career for not having the most elite centers or wingers to play with. He had some of the best hands out there in all of Oilers history.

Bill Guerin another decent option. Guerin was good in his prime.

Last edited:

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
You would be wrong for picking any of Kurri, Anderson, Simpson, or Draisaitl as a winger for McDavid. I picked Simpson as a RH sniper, but Anderson would be excellent as a guy that could compliment in more ways than potting passes. I often think a guy like Kyle Connor would look good with McDavid.. like a softer poor man's Anderson.

If McDavid was on the 80s Oilers, he would properly move to wing and be their Pavel Bure.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Tikkanen not getting the love he deserves. He was the highest point getter on the team and led us to our last mug. Plus, he was hard to play against and could play the point. He would work wonders with McDavid.

Reactions: MixMasterMoose

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Messier for me.

He uses speedsters seemingly better than anyone else. Mess was the reason a speedy Glenn Anderson was so effective.

(I lived in Van when an old washed up Messier was there. Even at 37, he managed tape to tape passes to Bure for easy breakaways).

Kinda think Mess would resemble Draisaitl in a lot of ways, and would also serve as a nuclear deterrent, and could open up the ice for McD in a big way.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Draisaitl. I wasn't around to watch Kurri, but I am hard pressed to believe he could be an improvement over the far-and-ahead best duo in the NHL.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Would go Kurri as well. Never watched him play live as I was 10 when he retired. Didn’t watch hockey till I was in my teens. I go back and watch old games. He was fun to watch.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Draisaitl. I wasn't around to watch Kurri, but I am hard pressed to believe he could be an improvement over the far-and-ahead best duo in the NHL.
Kurri was a key part of the far and ahead best duo in the NHL during his time. That said the chemistry that McDavid and Draisaitl have together is amazing. So there is no real argument against this choice. In fact I'd put the pair as the second best duo in Oiler history and that means ahead of Messier and Anderson. This is saying a lot!!!!

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I am going with Messier on left wing. Messier as a left winger was incredible. He did play a good five seasons as a winger. He could fly, thus easily keeping up with McDavid.

I think it's somewhat easier to find a sniper. Of course, Kurri is the first choice for that role. The dream line would be Messier-McDavid-Kurri.

Which player is more difficult to try and replace? Messier. Messier was able to play the secondary role when he was a winger. The year he was moved to 2c permanently was 83-84, mostly those playoffs.

Draisaitl gets you darned near replacement level if you swap him out for Kurri.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
RW - Kurri. NOT picking a Right shot is already an issue. All world complimentary player with great creativity and defensive ability.
LW - Definitely need some muscle/grind like Esa or Smyth. Kas is kind of a poor mans Tikkanen we actually have on the roster (but he's a right shot which doesn't work for me with McDavid at Center)

Drai obviously works, but being a Left shot who can play center is less than ideal. Look how both of them want to play off the right side. It often works because of their talent level. Both can dish from the backhand and if you watch some of the PP goals Drai can also receive those perfect McDavid passes on his backhand, then quickly shoot forehand (not really something seen before which requires high skill and precision from both players).

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I'm on the tikka-train.

He's the perfect forward for McDavid's style; he's good at defending, he's good at getting the puck back, he's tough enough to provide McDavid with some protection, and good god I miss having a rat on our team.

Plus, I don't think it's exactly like McDavid needs Kurri's shot to put pucks in the net.

Drai is a close second. Then I'd put Mess third.

Reactions: MixMasterMoose

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I see a lot of people saying Anderson.

I mean, it theoretically made sense, but I found Hall and Anderson to be remarkably similar players.

Hall just didn't work with McDavid, for a lot of the reasons I don't think Anderson would.

They loved to carry the puck, but he also did this thing, where they push the puck out of reach ahead of everyone, and be the first one to doggedly chase it (which also created a lot of chaos).

I think Hall and Anderson weren't particularly cerebral players, they utilized superior athleticism, speed, and dogged determination to excel.

McD needs cerebral players who are clever, and can work with unpredictability. Speed is just one element that makes McDavid so unpredictable. It's not that he's a burner 90% of the shift. It's that he turns it on when you least expect it to sidestep a man back, or create holes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad