Which Oilers forward (past or present) would be the best linemate for McDavid?

Which one?

• Total voters

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Hypothetically, if each of them were in their Oilers primes with today's training and technology, of course.

I'll leave the definition of "best" up to each of you. Some considerations:
  • Do you want someone who could play "C" on the line and take face-offs?
  • Do you want a natural winger?
  • Left handed shot or right handed shot?
  • Do you want someone with grit and net front presence?
  • Do you want someone with speed and hands?
  • Do you want someone with natural goal scoring ability?
  • Do you want a power forward with speed and scoring touch?
  • Do you want someone with a two-way mindset?
  • Do you want an agitating pest with decent offensive ability?
  • Do you want someone who he has proven chemistry with, but maybe not the ideal defensive line?
  • Do you want someone with leadership ability and playmaking to take the load off McDavid?
I'm going to leave off Gretzky because he would be the obvious winner.

Last edited:

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I'm not old enough to have watched a lot of these players, but Kurri is the obvious answer because of his goal-scoring and defensive ability.

Messier is tempting though. His physicality, leadership, ability to play C, etc would make him a nice fit.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm not old enough to have watched a lot of these players, but Kurri is the obvious answer because of his goal-scoring and defensive ability.

Messier is tempting though. His physicality, leadership, ability to play C, etc would make him a nice fit.

I think this should be an interesting poll result, in theory. I'll leave my predictions out so as to not prejudice the voting, but I think there could be several popular choices.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
All-time? Almost impossible for me not to take Kurri.

Kurri has several things going for him, but there are definitely arguments to be made for others on the list I think.

Anderson, for example, was like Taylor Hall with better shooting, hands and hockey sense. And he didn't need the puck on his stick all the time to still drive the play.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Messier or Simpson for me.

Simpson being RH sniper would have complimented McDavid nicely. (First year Oiler being his prime).

Messier in his prime could have used the speedy McDavid to compliment him.
Moose>McDavid

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Kurri was as good a complementary player as I have ever seen. He could score, was a great skater, was always in the right place and was excellent defensively.

Frankly, give McDavid Kurri and Tikkanen and let him fly.

He's not a forward but having Coffey with McDavid would be fun as well.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Kurri was as good a complementary player as I have ever seen. He could score, was a great skater, was always in the right place and was excellent defensively.

Frankly, give McDavid Kurri and Tikkanen and let him fly.

He's not a forward but having Coffey with McDavid would be fun as well.
This team needs a Coffey more than another McWinger IMO. Maybe Holland looks at Barrie as UFA

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Picked Anderson, with respect to Kurri. But Anderson exploited D better imo, and could score in more unique ways and through creating holes in the D. Andersons ability to create on the fly was unparalleled at the time aside from Gretzky. Anderson could beat D so many ways and leave D pounding sticks in anger. When Anderson went through D opponents would just shake heads and drop chin and go to the bench demoralized. Anderson goals, particularly playoff goals were so often gut punchers.

Kurri in contrast was the best finisher of odd man breaks, blown coverage, and scored a lot of goals on standard rush up the ring setups from Gretzky. Kurri was gifted, but had a whole career playing with Gretzky. Without Wayne giving passes from heaven how many does Kurri finish? Not taking anything away from the shot. Kurri had a very good shot. But goalies today are moving across ice better and making some of those saves.

Finally I like that Anderson was a dirty sob player. Which is the right look playing with McD. The trouble with the Gretzky-Kurri line is they could get leaned on and punked. So that they oft needed a Semenko or Krusher, or McSorley to ride shotgun once in awhile. McD and Anderson handle their own push back. Its why Mess-Anderson were so effective. Take no guff, dish it out, score goals. They were scary in a lot of ways. They'd either cut your soul making a ridiculous play undressing you or cut you up, period.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Picked Anderson, with respect to Kurri. But Anderson exploited D better imo, and could score in more unique ways and through creating holes in the D. Andersons ability to create on the fly was unparalleled at the time aside from Gretzky. Anderson could beat D so many ways and leave D pounding sticks in anger. When Anderson went through D opponents would just shake heads and drop chin and go to the bench demoralized. Anderson goals, particularly playoff goals were so often gut punchers.

Kurri in contrast was the best finisher of odd man breaks, blown coverage, and scored a lot of goals on standard rush up the ring setups from Gretzky. Kurri was gifted, but had a whole career playing with Gretzky. Without Wayne giving passes from heaven how many does Kurri finish? Not taking anything away from the shot. Kurri had a very good shot. But goalies today are moving across ice better and making some of those saves.

Finally I like that Anderson was a dirty sob player. Which is the right look playing with McD. The trouble with the Gretzky-Kurri line is they could get leaned on and punked. So that they oft needed a Semenko or Krusher, or McSorley to ride shotgun once in awhile. McD and Anderson handle their own push back. Its why Mess-Anderson were so effective. Take no guff, dish it out, score goals. They were scary in a lot of ways. They'd either cut your soul making a ridiculous play undressing you or cut you up, period.
What you say about Anderson's nasty side is true. But he'd never get away with it today because much of his nastiness came from carving guys. That's the kind of thing that would get you suspended multiple times in today's game.

He would certainly have fit well with McDavid. McDavid in particular plays well with guys who will crash the net. Anderson was as fearless in that regard as any player I have ever seen. But you may be underestimating Kurri's individual skill. After the Gretzky trade Kurri did have a 93 points season with 60 assists while still being terrific defensively. He was actually a fantastic playmaker in his own right.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Feel free to call me out for this, but I think prime Smytty is the ideal winger for McDavid. The retriever, guy who mixes it up in the corners, mixes it up in front of the net, and makes a living off garbage goals. Him + a guy like Kurri and you're in pretty damn good shape.

Reactions: Samus44

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What you say about Anderson's nasty side is true. But he'd never get away with it today because much of his nastiness came from carving guys. That's the kind of thing that would get you suspended multiple times in today's game.

He would certainly have fit well with McDavid. McDavid in particular plays well with guys who will crash the net. Anderson was as fearless in that regard as any player I have ever seen. But you may be underestimating Kurri's individual skill. After the Gretzky trade Kurri did have a 93 points season with 60 assists while still being terrific defensively. He was actually a fantastic playmaker in his own right.

Certainly not knocking Kurri in anyway and I agree he was a great passer as well. Interestingly he was perfect for Gretzky because they seem to have seen the ice and understood hockey systems in similar ways. There was uncanny playmaking between the two. There is no question that Kurri was the right linemate for Gretzky. The question here though is who is right for McD.

Now aside from that it is possible that Kurri would be better suited for Draisaitl than McD, as Drai also plays a read ice, read positions, exploit game. Drai has some Gretzky vision in him. He would find Kurri all over the ice and vice versa. In contrast McD and Anderson are aggressive offensively and push D, fake D, puncture D. etc. The latter exploit D with uncanny one on one shake ability. Drai and Kurri are more cerebral players. Not taking anything away from Andersons understanding of the game either.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Certainly not knocking Kurri in anyway and I agree he was a great passer as well. Interestingly he was perfect for Gretzky because they seem to have seen the ice and understood hockey systems in similar ways. There was uncanny playmaking between the two. There is no question that Kurri was the right linemate for Gretzky. The question here though is who is right for McD.

Now aside from that it is possible that Kurri would be better suited for Draisaitl than McD, as Drai also plays a read ice, read positions, exploit game. Drai has some Gretzky vision in him. He would find Kurri all over the ice and vice versa. In contrast McD and Anderson are aggressive offensively and push D, fake D, puncture D. etc. The latter exploit D with uncanny one on one shake ability. Drai and Kurri are more cerebral players. Not taking anything away from Andersons understanding of the game either.

Anderson is often underrated by many who sometimes think he was a product of the other great players. But you are right in that he was a handful for defenders and his knack for scoring big goals was also something to be noted. The insurance goal in game seven of the Flyer series is still one of my most memorable moments as an Oiler fan. Being at the game I remember that the tension in the building was unreal. After the loss to the Flames the year before I wanted that series win so much. So when he scored I leapt out of my seat as did everyone else and had this immense sense of relief.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Anderson is often underrated by many who sometimes think he was a product of the other great players. But you are right in that he was a handful for defenders and his knack for scoring big goals was also something to be noted. The insurance goal in game seven of the Flyer series is still one of my most memorable moments as an Oiler fan. Being at the game I remember that the tension in the building was unreal. After the loss to the Flames the year before I wanted that series win so much. So when he scored I leapt out of my seat as did everyone else and had this immense sense of relief.

We were both there. That was the most exciting moment of the most exciting game that I've seen. The Oilers were a continued force in that game 7, described by Flyers plays as a waterfall coming at them, but the score was still way to close until that goal. Bedlam!

Lets just say it was a climactic moment! heh

The Oilers hit 5 goalposts in that game.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Hemsky. They could break the most passes completed in one shift without a shot on goal.

If they actually wanted to score goals? Kurri or Simpson.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Kurri hands down. One of the best goal scorers ever. Elite two way play, right shot.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I was going to write something about Anderson but this says it all.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I voted for Guerin. I loved Kurri, and he would be good too, but Guerin had more physicality - more grind to his game. We've seen those types flourish with McDavid. Kurri was the better shooter, Guerin would have been better at getting the dirty rebounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad