Which of our core players will Babcock have the largest impact on?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Listed greatest to least from the poll choices.

1) Gardiner - needs the most help
2) Kadri
3) JVR
4) Phaneuf
5) Bernier
6) Rielly - needs the least help

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Yes. I suppose the bigger question dpwn the line is what happens when Marner and Nylander come onto the team. 5 Potential Cs, not to mention the Goat.

By then (1 or 2 years from now) I reckon Nylander and Marner have the two top six center spots. The Goat is our 4th line C and Holland have established him self as our 3rd line C. Bozak and Kadri have been traded.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
I think it's a tie between JvR and Bozak. I think Babber's finally going to be that guy who staples their ***** to the bench if they take shifts off. Or, dast I say it, take them out of the lineup if their laziness is too much.

EasyThereFella

Jul 16, 2015
I think it's a tie between JvR and Bozak. I think Babber's finally going to be that guy who staples their ***** to the bench if they take shifts off. Or, dast I say it, take them out of the lineup if their laziness is too much.

Long time reader first time poster here.....please be kind!!

For me it has to be JVR. The kid oozes skill of a top 10 player in the league and has the size to play a true big man's game. Bab's is and has always been an instructor, an impassioned leader who get's his troops to follow. If Bab's can tap into his overall game JVR will be a beast!!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Long time reader first time poster here.....please be kind!!

For me it has to be JVR. The kid oozes skill of a top 10 player in the league and has the size to play a true big man's game. Bab's is and has always been an instructor, an impassioned leader who get's his troops to follow. If Bab's can tap into his overall game JVR will be a beast!!

Welcome.

I would say JVR is going to have a good season. He can be the man with Kessel not here. I do believe Kessel's negative impact may have hurt him and Bozak last season.

Knowing Babcock and him being spoiled with good faceoff men. Leafs still have no one better on the dot than Bozak at 53.2%

Spaling was 48.3% last year in FO's.
Kadri 46.2%
Holland 45.5%
Matthias 44.9%

I can see Bozak having a very good season this year also. Bozak is now second in goals scored on this team with 23. But more than this, he can also be the man of his line instead of just looking for Kessel. I expect Bozak to be a better 2 way player this year without Phil.

With an emphasis on defence first, points totals will not be inflated this year as it was under run and cheat. A proper analysis will have to be offered by Leafs fans now.

mikebel111*

I will say a little bit of all the players.
player with negative impact, probably Bozak. Babcock likes possession and D, hard working players. And lets b honest, #42 is kinda bad in those facets, and cant score without his Kessel it seems. expect him to be in the dog house fast. though face offs he is decent. ask the Kings where that got them last season.

basically everyone on this roster are hard working except #42 so I expect a lot of these players to be impacted in some way.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I will say a little bit of all the players.
player with negative impact, probably Bozak. Babcock likes possession and D, hard working players. And lets b honest, #42 is kinda bad in those facets, and cant score without his Kessel it seems. expect him to be in the dog house fast. though face offs he is decent. ask the Kings where that got them last season.

basically everyone on this roster are hard working except #42 so I expect a lot of these players to be impacted in some way.

This will be interesting since Lebrun reported Detroit were one of the teams interested in Bozak the summer he turned UFA. Maybe Babcock likes him? Still 23 goals is 23 goals the 2nd most on the current roster last year. This is an off year.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Welcome.

I would say JVR is going to have a good season. He can be the man with Kessel not here. I do believe Kessel's negative impact may have hurt him and Bozak last season.

Knowing Babcock and him being spoiled with good faceoff men. Leafs still have no one better on the dot than Bozak at 53.2%

Spaling was 48.3% last year in FO's.
Kadri 46.2%
Holland 45.5%
Matthias 44.9%

I can see Bozak having a very good season this year also. Bozak is now second in goals scored on this team with 23. But more than this, he can also be the man of his line instead of just looking for Kessel. I expect Bozak to be a better 2 way player this year without Phil.

With an emphasis on defence first, points totals will not be inflated this year as it was under run and cheat. A proper analysis will have to be offered by Leafs fans now.

I'm predicting the exact opposite. Bozak and JVR's production is going down without Kessel, their numbers were clearly elevated by Kessel, the stats will say it all. JVR's numbers suffered when he was moved to Kadri's line and Bozak's numbers are putrid away from Kessel. Not only that, but defenses won't be keyed on Kessel anymore, their going to be looking at JVR a lot more, so he's going to really need to bring it.

Your point about Bozak being our only good faceoff man is definitely something Babcock won't like. Holland and Kadri are going to need to step up their faceoff game.

This will be interesting since Lebrun reported Detroit were one of the teams interested in Bozak the summer he turned UFA. Maybe Babcock likes him? Still 23 goals is 23 goals the 2nd most on the current roster last year. This is an off year.

That "off year" happened to be his career high in goals scored. Just saying.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Listed greatest to least from the poll choices.

1) Gardiner - needs the most help
2) Kadri
3) JVR
4) Phaneuf
5) Bernier
6) Rielly - needs the least help

No issues with the list. He [Gardiner] did have the best possession numbers among d-men. His skating looks well-suited for a possession game especially on the powerplay. I can definitely see Babcock elevating his game. Bernier is an interesting choice. He did well under Carlyle, but I want to see how Babcock handles Reimer especially with how Bernier's contract dispute is handling.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Babcock philosophy:

Lamorello philosophy:

Team > Individual Stats

Win ugly 1-0 as opposed to losing pretty 6-5

Some of us know this, some of us still like to judge players on simplistic individual points totals on losing teams.

Team > > >

I.E Doughty, best D man in the game once had only 36 and 37 points the years LA won their cups.

~ Lesson

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I strongly believe Kadri is going to have a break out year and is going to surprise every one

mikebel111*

I'm predicting the exact opposite. Bozak and JVR's production is going down without Kessel, their numbers were clearly elevated by Kessel, the stats will say it all. JVR's numbers suffered when he was moved to Kadri's line and Bozak's numbers are putrid away from Kessel. Not only that, but defenses won't be keyed on Kessel anymore, their going to be looking at JVR a lot more, so he's going to really need to bring it.

Your point about Bozak being our only good faceoff man is definitely something Babcock won't like. Holland and Kadri are going to need to step up their faceoff game.

That "off year" happened to be his career high in goals scored. Just saying.

His production is likely going to fall off a cliff, and his GA rate will likely still be bad too. Its funny how people say Phil is bad on D and doesn't care, Bozak is so much worse its not funny

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think Rielly will improve the most over the next few years, but that'd happen with or without Babcock. On the other hand I think Phaneuf would be naturally falling off quite a lot over the next few years, but I think Babcock can help him get better instead of worse. Phaneuf is a hard worker with talent, whose main issues IMO stem from positioning/decision making, which I think is an area where great coaching can have a significant impact.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I think Rielly will improve the most over the next few years, but that'd happen with or without Babcock. On the other hand I think Phaneuf would be naturally falling off quite a lot over the next few years, but I think Babcock can help him get better instead of worse. Phaneuf is a hard worker with talent, whose main issues IMO stem from positioning/decision making, which I think is an area where great coaching can have a significant impact.

We'd be best off trading him as soon as his value is decent. He's still part of the failed core. Hopefully Babcock can work some magic, make Phaneuf look competent and Lamoriello can sell him off for a good price.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I strongly believe Kadri is going to have a break out year and is going to surprise every one

This would seem to be the case with Kadri before every season since he was drafted by us. One day it may come true, or one day it may not. Potential like old milk has an expiry date.

mikebel111*

Kadri so far has lived up to expectations very well. Easily better than B."fake tough guy" Schenn, and Evander "character issues" Kane. Top 5 player in his draft class. Hope he continues to put up solid seasons and had big ones
Looks like he has trust of managment. This kid is so dedicated and working really hard to improve his game

#beauty
Looks like Babcock agrees

mikebel111*

He probably will. He is working really hard and should continue live up to expectations. Already top 5 in his draft class.

Should continue his great play

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
He probably will. He is working really hard and should continue live up to expectations. Already top 5 in his draft class.

Should continue his great play

Maybe. He's still got a lot of work to do to pass any of these guys:

John Tavares
Victor Hedman
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Matt Duchene
Scott Glennie

(sorry, I had to)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad