Which of our core players will Babcock have the largest impact on?

Drakkor

Apr 21, 2007
Gardiner. A set system and a game plan that plays to a players talents will help Gardiner immensely.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Rielly. Babcock builds his systems around elite PMD. Rielly is gonna be his stud Dman.

Kadri is a close 2nd.

The funny thing is that Detroit hasn't had one since Lidstrom retired. Their defense has not been good since. Babcock really is that good.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
everyone.
I'm with this I'm with this.

He on. Babcock is really on and living it. Everyone gets his energy and teachings for certainly.

Komarov, Winnik and some other dude might be even better than they already are... and they are doing their job real good. Like we already know. But yeah, Babcock real good.

Shwaguy*

The funny thing is that Detroit hasn't had one since Lidstrom retired. Their defense has not been good since. Babcock really is that good.

Yep, they've definitely been a good team without that kinda guy.

But it is the reason I think they've struggled in the playoffs recently

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Yep, they've definitely been a good team without that kinda guy.

But it is the reason I think they've struggled in the playoffs recently
Yeah, Detroit always plays a tighter possession game but in the playoffs that advantage disappears. Every team plays much tighter and smart puck movement becomes even more critical.

Babcock is going to love Gardiner, Rielly and even Marincin IMO. He'll have Dion bring the puck out in heavier situations and be that physical guy down low. Those three will be the creative puck movers and the primary possession-drivers on the backend.

CalgaryLeaf*

First thought was Kadri..I think Babcock is going to turn Kadri into a legitimate #1 center who can play both ends of the rink. I see this mental picture of Kadri backchecking like hell.

How about JVR?..I could see Babcock making him into a more complete player too.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Gardiner. A set system and a game plan that plays to a players talents will help Gardiner immensely.

Ya, I think it'll be Gardiner.

I think it could be the Jake Gardiner show most nights... with him logging 25ish minutes and really controlling the play. I think he could have the puck more than any other Leaf. Our whole system will revolve around Gardiner and Rielly (on 1st and 2nd pairing) breaking out from our own zone with speed. They'll both be driving the play up the ice. Babcock will give them the green light to do what they were born to do... and he'll have a defensive system in place to cover for them when the break-out fails.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
i am going to be a rebel
Tyler Bozak.

Highly unlikely. Babcock hates lazy players and players that can't play defence. Bozak fits the bill for a player that ends up in Babcock's doghouse forever.

Anyway, I think it'll be Kadri.

Didn't pick Rielly because I expect him to breakout regardless of the coach.

I also think Babcock will really help Gardiner and am excited to see how he does next year.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Highly unlikely. Babcock hates lazy players and players that can't play defence. Bozak fits the bill for a player that ends up in Babcock's doghouse forever.

I also think Babcock will really help Gardiner and am excited to see how he does next year.

hence ;) being a rebel.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Think all the one yr deal guys will have career yr and this will allow the Leafs to trade for higher picks.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

Bozak is not really a lazy player, he just stopped playing to his strengths to be able to keep up with Kessel offensively. He is actually a 2-way center who rely on making the smart decisions, finishing his checks and back-checking when not in possession. But I guess the lure to get some easy points from Kessel was to tempting for him so he stopped playing like that.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Bozak is not really a lazy player, he just stopped playing to his strengths to be able to keep up with Kessel offensively. He is actually a 2-way center who rely on making the smart decisions, finishing his checks and back-checking when not in possession. But I guess the lure to get some easy points from Kessel was to tempting for him so he stopped playing like that.

He should also be put on the 2nd line. I rag on the guy, but he should put up decent points on the 2nd line facing 2nd pairing and also put on the 2nd PP. I don't believe he has the offensive capabilities of a first liner.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
He should also be put on the 2nd line. I rag on the guy, but he should put up decent points on the 2nd line facing 2nd pairing and also put on the 2nd PP. I don't believe he has the offensive capabilities of a first liner.

Yeah, if Kadri can take the first line C spot Bozak can slide back and compete with Holland for the 2nd line C spot. That would work.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I voted Rielly, but should have voted Kadri. Rielly already looked to be headed in the right direction, whereas Kadri looks like he might have the tools to be a better player but hasn't pulled it together yet.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They invited Holland to speak to the recruits?

Seems he might have a foot up on some of the airheads.

He spoke about the path he had taken to the NHL. He was after all a first round pick who so far have spent more time in the AHL then the NHL. And that he had to take the chances he got and do the best with it.

They invited Holland to the prospects camp to speak to the prospects.

You don't invite someone to talk to your futures if you dislike them, or disrespect them.

To me that is an endorsement of Holland.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Also going with Kadri. He got his warning last spring and he knows he has to shape up, which he has (literally). I'm also hoping he's excited about the new prospects in the system and hopefully realizes that he's young enough to be part of a future glorious team. I don't think he'll blow this opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad