Which of our core do you find "likeable"?

Which of our core do you find "likeable"

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
This is the type of posts I referencing in my original post. What about them outside of hockey is so bad? There’s nothing to suggest anything about their personality is bad.

From what I’ve heard, Marner is genuinely one of the nicest guys out there. Bunting is my age and went to the Catholic school beside my public high school in Scarborough . (All my friends went to the Catholic one) so they were all in his friend group and they love Bunting and he still makes time for them to this day, they all say Matthews is a gem as well.

Just seems like a lot of older people making assumptions about these guys because they are young
I think trying to scare the shit out of a female security guard at night, mooning her, police involved, taking no accountability, and then hiding it from his gm…. yeah, seems like a swell guy.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I think trying to scare the shit out of a female security guard at night, mooning her, police involved, taking no accountability, and then hiding it from his gm…. yeah, seems like a swell guy.

I agree that was one of the most idiotic stories I’ve seen and I still can’t believe to this day he didn’t make the organization aware of that. But that’s kind of my point, it’s hard to understand, Matthews did all of that yet he’s more likeable than Marner or Nylander. It kind of baffles me. Marner or Nylander’s worst moments off ice are holding out and maybe getting paid more than what they were worth. But they haven’t done anything to that level of Matthews in terms of being disorderly but they are subject to a higher level of criticism/distain because of their public negotiations.

It’s just interesting to view how we as fans value/view players.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Honestly they're probably all cool and likeable guys. Hard to judge them as people without knowing them. They're very talented hockey players no doubt, just not much in toolbox in terms of hockey smarts.

But end of day I'm a fan of Toronto Maple Leafs, not any one particular player. Today's generation of player there isn't much loyalty. If they don't get paid, they're gone so why get hung up. If you yell at them they don't respond. If it's a bad team, they don't feel like giving it their best, but they'll deadass tell you post game "every night in NHL you have to give your best because anyone can beat anyone."

If they can't play based on fans or their own pressure, if they want too much money, whatever the case may be - they can leave for free agency or trade.

Don't wanna be here, you don't have to be. It's a privilege, not a right.

Reactions: therealkoho

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
It comes down to meeting or exceeding expectations. They did that against Washington and ever since have fallen short. The answers would be completely different if this poll was posted fresh off two series wins.

As far as their personalities go, I don't find any of them particularly interesting. I'm glad we don't have any shady characters on this team, though. *looks toward Edmonton*

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
IMO this team isn't overly likable. maybe because of the playoff defeats. But they are talented.
I mean I like Matthews because he scores better than anyone since Gretzky IMO, and Marner because he is a magician.

But my version of likable Leafs hockey players were Gilmour, Tucker, Roberts, Cujo/Belfour, Rouse, Lefevbre, Steve Thomas.
Battlers. They took on the personalities of the coaches Quinn and Burns.

Maybe until the leafs win a round that same fan/player bond will not exist with me.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I agree that was one of the most idiotic stories I’ve seen and I still can’t believe to this day he didn’t make the organization aware of that. But that’s kind of my point, it’s hard to understand, Matthews did all of that yet he’s more likeable than Marner or Nylander. It kind of baffles me. Marner or Nylander’s worst moments off ice are holding out and maybe getting paid more than what they were worth. But they haven’t done anything to that level of Matthews in terms of being disorderly but they are subject to a higher level of criticism/distain because of their public negotiations.

It’s just interesting to view how we as fans value/view players.
I see the Matthews incident itself as a “boys will be boys” thing. Twenty year old just signs an 60 mil contact, gets drunk and acts goofy. I’d likely have done worse.

But the security guard only pressed charges because of how horribly Matthews and his family acted when she raised the issue a few days later, and how they hid all of it from Dubas. I mean, THATS the bigger red flag of having an absolutely horrible attitude. He’s a “super star” and the peasants better show respect. Like when he’s snarky with the media.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Mo and Willie are likeable .

I don't really dislike any , JT annoys me because he comes off so scripted every time he speaks . It's like why even bother interviewing him when he just mumbles cliches .

Reactions: Puckstuff

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
If I had to power rank my respect level for those players on the way they handle themselves:
  1. Rielly
  2. Matthews
  3. Tavarers
  4. Nylander
  5. Marner

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
To be fair, all of the guys are likable as people.

Rielly is the best of them all.

But some of the others come across as money-first players and that's hard to like unless they're winning. Once you start squeezing every penny out of a team, it's normal for fans to drill you when things go wrong.

Marner is the worst offender when it comes to this and his quotes to the media always make things worse.

Reactions: The Iceman

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I see the Matthews incident itself as a “boys will be boys” thing. Twenty year old just signs an 60 mil contact, gets drunk and acts goofy. I’d likely have done worse.

But the security guard only pressed charges because of how horribly Matthews and his family acted when she raised the issue a few days later, and how they hid all of it from Dubas. I mean, THATS the bigger red flag of having an absolutely horrible attitude. He’s a “super star” and the peasants better show respect. Like when he’s snarky with the media.
The most awful thing about that whole sequence of events was he and his father agreeing to keep it away from the club. That solution is something a 12 year old comes up with when he breaks a window. The craziest thing is that Matthews Sr thought they were going to get away with it. The old adage of the apple not falling far from the tree has never been illustrated more clearly then it has in that incident. His father was almost what 48 50 when this happened. My father would've dragged me by the scruff of my neck and had me own up to the boss. I would've done the same with either one of my sons if they had done something that stupid.

You can always be excused for ignorance but stupidity should by it's very nature be about teaching the individual a lesson.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
To be fair, all of the guys are likable as people.

Rielly is the best of them all.

But some of the others come across as money-first players and that's hard to like unless they're winning. Once you start squeezing every penny out of a team, it's normal for fans to drill you when things go wrong.

Marner is the worst offender when it comes to this and his quotes to the media always make things worse.
Is Tavares likeable as a person? I mean he's not unlikeable, but is he likeable. Is a brick likeable?

Maybe?

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
A lot of elite pro athletes get to live in a fantasy world limbo between adulthood and adolescence. The best ones undoubtedly work very hard on their skills and training but can be largely empty vessels away from their specialty as they are constantly feted with indulgences, privileges, endless play and the like.

Championship teams are often rife with "unlikable" characters. Some are semi-thugs even felons, others are self-centered or egotistical, still others are serial womanizers, there are fake nice guys, there are cheaters, there are trouble makers and mean-spirited pranksters and on and on. It doesn't matter whether they're likable or not. The measure of the team comes on the playing surface. There couldn't be a more irrelevant metric for a pro sports team than likability. It might as well be hair colour or musical ability.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
From 2017 - 2019 I didn't think a better core existed.

Loved the players and thought they'd win here

2020-2022 has been tough

Loss of interest after so many losses doesn't help but tbh don't really like any of the guys that much anymore

Rielly I still like but he is what he is and can't be a full package elite 1D which sucks

Marner/Matthews don't like them that much now. Don't dislike them but they're just part of tbe team like the others while in the past they were 2 of my faves

Nylander I like a bit more. But still sucks about 2019 where he sat out and that cost us a legit chance at a cup.

JT I haven't liked since the CBJ series but he's had a good start and is playing good so far. Never should have been captain but if he plays like he has the first 4 games he's having a great year.

Everyone else on the team don't care about. Gone are the Kapanen/hyman/Kadri/AJ/Brown

Don't like or get excited about the kerfoot/malgin/Bunting's/Engval

As much as the first group

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
This fan base is so ass backwards. A lot of the guys are fantastic people personally. There’s no reason to HATE them. A lot of the hate comes from personal jealously.

The hate Marner gets is actually outrageous. People hate on him because he streams gaming (like 100’s of other athletes do and don’t get as much hate) People forget these guys are still so young. I like each of the core, I think they have unique personalities. I don’t really care what they do in their spare time. Having a good work life balance is critical. If you watch the pre-season media you’d know Marner probably watches the most hockey on the team he’s a hockey nerd, but he also likes to game. These guys can’t really be out in public like normal people all the time.

Matthews gets shit on for liking fashion and being in that space. I don’t get why that even matters.

I think they are all fine people, of course we want them to win. But they are not bad people and really don’t deserve hate in general
This is the first I've heard about Marner streaming. Doesn't surprise me, but the only people who would hate him for that is the old timers who don't understand it. The hate for Marner steams from him just being a bitch.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
This is the first I've heard about Marner streaming. Doesn't surprise me, but the only people who would hate him for that is the old timers who don't understand it. The hate for Marner steams from him just being a bitch.

I think he started streaming recently, pretty good revenue source tbh, so can't knock him for doing it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
They're all good hockey players - which is all that fundamentally matters at the end of the day for me in terms of like vs disliking.

In terms.sof behavior - Nylander actually strikes me as the most likeable due to his aloofness which gives him the ability to just block out the pressures of this market as white noise

Guys who react too much to fan media/pressure eventually flame out or react poorly during high pressure games

Last edited:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
There's only 2 Leafs that to me come across as (I wouldn't call it arrogance) but kind of snobby, entitled, me first attitude. That's Marner and Matthews. Just my opinion, don't shoot me. lol

JT gets a bum rap from some fans. I think he's just uncomfortable in front of a camera.

Reactions: WildWolfdog

Rompane

Jan 16, 2021
lol this poll is hilarious. How is Willy the second most likeable? I think there may be some recency bias at play here. He has always been the most polarizing figure on this team.

I like them all personally. I can't imagine playing in front of our fanbase and market would be overly easy. They take the abuse on the chin year after year and seemingly never complain about it. It may not be the core group that brings us the ultimate prize, and that's completely fine. A lot of players before them have failed to do so as well. These men listed all put in a ton of work to be the best they can be for us, that's all we can ask for.

Would I prefer a core like Sundin, Mogilny, Tucker, Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Nolan, Domi, Francis, Leetch, McCabe, and Kaberle??? ya of course, but that doesn't take away how lucky we are to have the 5 men listed in this poll on our squad. Not to mention the Sundin era Leafs that had "success" still never brought us the ultimate prize either, and I am not sure Sundin was ever appreciated for the warrior he was until he was no longer in blue and white.

I'm going to support whoever suits up in blue and white. Whether that's a crippled Muzz or a struggling Holl. They are on the squad I support, so I will chose to like them and support them. Call it cheesy, but that's thick and thin shit. Support the boys
Its stupid as hell that Nylander was that "polarizing". Just awesome guy and his contract is also probably the best. Its not his fault that team tried to be cheap with him. He never deserved less than he got.

Reactions: Twine Tickler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad