Which of our core do you find "likeable"?

Which of our core do you find "likeable"

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
In the past, we've had some beloved core groups - legends that we can all remember. Many of the recent past Leaf legends were blue collar type of players - Sundin, Gilmour, Clark.

How do you feel about this core group?

Do you find them likeable? Do you think any of them will be looked back on like Gilmour, or Clark?

Craigo85

Apr 24, 2018
I know it's a multi-select one but decided to only pick one guy: Captain Morgan

I'm still bitter that JT got the C over him, terrible choice IMO. I'd rather have gone with all multiple A's until AM signs an 8 year deal.

They're all likeable in a way:
- Morgan: obvious, who can hate the guy? only thing not to like is he's not a top D in the NHL (I don't mean a #1 pairing, i mean a perennial Norris finalist). He also re-signed at arguably a discount/favorable contract
- Matthews: has the confidence and swagger, who doesn't like the rockets. If he leads by example by playing mean the whole year he'd take #1 for me
- JT: well he decided to come back home on a small "discount", Dubas bungling the initial contracts for the kids isn't JT's fault. He just strikes me as a weak captain that gets pushed around. Never see the passion from him on the ice.
- Willy: contract negotiations will always be a mark against him with the Pasta comparable. Otherwise, gotta admire his IDGAF attitude and nothing seems to bother him
- Marner: least likable due to contract (still a big Dubas problem if the 8x8 was an option as previously reported) and probably still being overpaid vs peers. Still seems like something is missing to make him competing with Morgan/AM34 for most likable.

Last edited:

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Doesn't make me upset, just laugh at the amount of negativity in this place, every thread is negative.

This one will predictably turn into "all entitled kids who are enabled by the GM and soft coach."

Every one of those players is likable, when things are going well, they are all fun in the media, and great on the ice, I am sure they are more likable then.
I think it's fair. Players become legends in big moments in the playoffs, and our guys haven't had that moment with the fans yet.

I imagine a lot of the drama dissapears with a big playoff run.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I like them all. I wish they had more of a killer instinct, but they are the best group of skilled players I have ever seen on one Leafs team. Up to them what their legacy is. They need to figure it out this season...

Reactions: SwissLeaf

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I think it's fair. Players become legends in big moments in the playoffs, and our guys haven't had that moment with the fans yet.

I imagine a lot of the drama dissapears with a big playoff run.
Gilmour with the wrap around goal .

Wendel with the hat-trick to send it to OT. Or wrecking McSorley.

Sundin had his tying goal against Carolina.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I know it's a multi-select one but decided to only pick one guy: Captain Morgan

I'm still bitter that JT got the C over him, terrible choice IMO. I'd rather have gone with all multiple A's until AM signs an 8 year deal.
Rielly is #1 on my list as well, and it not really close either. He's the kind of man you win with!

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I hate to say it but the last team I liked was the 2013 Leafs with Komarov, Kessel, Bozak, Orr, etc. So sue me!

;)

I liked that group too. I also really liked the 2017 team that took the Caps 6 games. The young kids were still full of potential, still lots of hope, the veterans were good folk. We had some good character guys in Naz, Leo, Martin, Boyle and Polak.

1666274033001.png

Reactions: TMLAM34 and egd27

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
They're all likeable none have character issues off the ice. But if I had to choose the most likeable it is Rielly by a lot. Least likeable is Marner if forced to rank a last.

Reactions: ToneDog

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Only one that's dislikable is Nylander from what I know.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
lol this poll is hilarious. How is Willy the second most likeable? I think there may be some recency bias at play here. He has always been the most polarizing figure on this team.

I like them all personally. I can't imagine playing in front of our fanbase and market would be overly easy. They take the abuse on the chin year after year and seemingly never complain about it. It may not be the core group that brings us the ultimate prize, and that's completely fine. A lot of players before them have failed to do so as well. These men listed all put in a ton of work to be the best they can be for us, that's all we can ask for.

Would I prefer a core like Sundin, Mogilny, Tucker, Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Nolan, Domi, Francis, Leetch, McCabe, and Kaberle??? ya of course, but that doesn't take away how lucky we are to have the 5 men listed in this poll on our squad. Not to mention the Sundin era Leafs that had "success" still never brought us the ultimate prize either, and I am not sure Sundin was ever appreciated for the warrior he was until he was no longer in blue and white.

I'm going to support whoever suits up in blue and white. Whether that's a crippled Muzz or a struggling Holl. They are on the squad I support, so I will chose to like them and support them. Call it cheesy, but that's thick and thin shit. Support the boys

Reactions: andora

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I liked that group too. I also really liked the 2017 team that took the Caps 6 games. The young kids were still full of potential, still lots of hope, the veterans were good folk. We had some good character guys in Naz, Leo, Martin, Boyle and Polak.
Yea, there was such promise for a bright future as the "kids" were going develop and learn together. Shame they refused to learn from the past and decided to try another shortcut.

Last edited:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Obviously the team would be more likeable if they actually had some success in the playoffs and didn't have so many embarrassing collapses. It was like last year was the first time they actually played playoff hockey and tried/went to war...somewhat
For ne, 16 comes off as immature, entitled and at the end of season press conferences, almost stand-offish. I like Nylander but his lackadaisical play at times drives me nuts.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
This fan base is so ass backwards. A lot of the guys are fantastic people personally. There’s no reason to HATE them. A lot of the hate comes from personal jealously.

The hate Marner gets is actually outrageous. People hate on him because he streams gaming (like 100’s of other athletes do and don’t get as much hate) People forget these guys are still so young. I like each of the core, I think they have unique personalities. I don’t really care what they do in their spare time. Having a good work life balance is critical. If you watch the pre-season media you’d know Marner probably watches the most hockey on the team he’s a hockey nerd, but he also likes to game. These guys can’t really be out in public like normal people all the time.

Matthews gets shit on for liking fashion and being in that space. I don’t get why that even matters.

I think they are all fine people, of course we want them to win. But they are not bad people and really don’t deserve hate in general

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad