Which NHL player is in the WORST shape?

Mad Brills*

Kessel's leg strength is insane by the way.

No players are fat, but they can out of shape quickly.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
a lot of players have a gross upper half but their legs/ass are insanely powerful and completely ripped

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Byfuglien's spent more time in the ice than any other player in the league so far this year. I have a really hard time believing he's in the worst shape of all guys in the league.

JustGivingEr

How far we done fell
Aug 17, 2009
Hamsterdam
Byfuglien's spent more time in the ice than any other player in the league so far this year. I have a really hard time believing he's in the worst shape of all guys in the league.
Exactly. He's got the most overall TOI and is second in TOI/game (to OEL who has only played two games) and yet he's somehow in the worst shape in the entire league?

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I know, one of them is on their phone :laugh:

Honestly I think Dion just looks intense even grocery shopping because his brow doubles as an awning.

No one is on their phone in that gif, Player x on the far left is quite clearly holding/massaging his wrist.

This is yet another in the long line of stupid threads that have recently cropped up on these main boards. These are professional athletes, if guys were seriously out of shape we would not see them on the ice. And if they are talented enough to justify being played while out of shape, how can we say with any certainty how their fitness measures objectively to that of other players?

Show me some internal fitness testing results and I will get on board with this inanity; the posturing in here is so tired. "in b4 kessel," FFS one of the fastest players in a league full of the absolute best in the world is out of shape? Byfuglien just played 30 mins of dominant hockey last night. Different players have different body types, every player can't look like Rob Brind'Amour

Gotta Jet

Aug 25, 2011
Behind the net
Such a ridiculous thread. Maybe its Thorton because of his beard! Close this thread already.

They are all professionals and most log a ton of ice. They better all be in shape.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
So you're saying that a marathon runner who is 10 pounds overweight wouldn't be as fit as a a bodybuilder with 5% body fat who has never done cardio in their life?

Low body fat percentage (eg appearing to be in shape) is a product of diet far more than it is of fitness.

I understand that as i do this for a living, as well as compete. Bodybuilding is basically art, it's all about looks although some do train for cardiovascular function as well. What i'm saying is, neither of the athletes you mentioned would look out of shape. The body builder will obviously be much bigger and appear leaner because of his muscle mass. The Marathon runner will be much smaller but still extremely lean. The consistent thing about both of them is they're "lean".

In what we're discussing in this thread, it's specifically related to NHL players and almost all of us are well aware of what their programs consist of. A well conditioned hockey player will have extremely strong and (big relative to their body) legs and a strong core. Their upper bodies aren't massive but slightly larger than the average person and with lower body fat.

^ That is what you look (roughly) when looking for size/strength

Then there's the cardio side of it. That's literally just how strong/healthy your heart is to put it into basic words.

a FIT and IN SHAPE athlete will fit both descriptions. An out of shape "athlete" will fit into just 1 or neither of them. The confusion most people are making here is that they'll categorize a player into just one of those 2 descriptions and claim that he's "fit" or "in shape" failing to recognize that both aspects are equally important. That's what i look for when i'm trying to see if someone is in shape.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Kessel appears out of shape because of cancer meds he was on iirc. Wasn't he one of the highest performing Leafs during fitness testing a few years ago?

How can he be in great condition but out of shape?

The guy above is right. His cancer meds have the side-effect of making his face appear a little fat. He's in fine shape.

When did Kessel go on those cancer meds? He had the same fat face on his draft day and in juniors didn't he? I'm not saying Kessel is or ever was out of shape because really, who am I to judge? I don't know what kind of shape he's in and some guys just have a fat face, that doesn't mean they're in bad shape, but from what I remember, he's always looked like that.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
Why don't the mods just sticky an NHLers shirtless thread and get this over with?

If there are is one glaring truth in here, it's that many posters have absolutely no idea what fitness is beyond what they feel it looks like. Any support you need to believe this claim can be found in the multitude of posts that mention Phil Kessel.

austonmatthews

Sep 18, 2016
having abs does not equal being in good shape

that is simply a fact, if you do not know that you have never been in a gym

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Ladies and Gentlemen, Exhibit A

Good Lord he is huge. Probably does an excellent truffle shuffle. Dude is on the NFL linemen diet

You do realise this photo is like, a few years old right?

In fact, I think I read somewhere it was maybe even photoshopped a touch.

Either way you've got no right to call him out of shape/huge etc - guy would probably destroy you in any kind of sport/fitness competition.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Yeah, the 6ft4+ defenseman that is leading the team or league in TOI is out of shape.

Just because he is big bodied doesn't mean he is in bad shape.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
having abs does not equal being in good shape

that is simply a fact, if you do not know that you have never been in a gym

I'd say the opposite is more true, having a gut doesn't equal being in bad shape

If you have visible abs, you're probably at the very least in good shape

Marre

Mar 10, 2004
Realistically? Someone who has had a big lower body injury or operation with long rehab time last spring or during off-season. Those players are most likely to be currently in the worst shape. Though, their abs may or may not still show when shirtless so I guess they do not count.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad