Which markets do you think will get teams 33 and 34?

Which markets will get the next 2 NHL teams?

• Total voters

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I still say Austin will be in the NHL before Houston. Might be 15-20 years from now, maybe less, but Austin is growing, and so is Austin hockey.
040414austin.jpg

Reactions: HisIceness

Pandemonia

Aug 30, 2020
I still say Austin will be in the NHL before Houston. Might be 15-20 years from now, maybe less, but Austin is growing, and so is Austin hockey.

Grow it all u want, wont make a diff until some old guy will billions and balls builds an arena.

Every sport with fans that reach X number needs a stadium/arena/pool/track/field/whatever or ur not in the next league higher.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Aero 75

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, Tx
Grow it all u want, wont make a diff until some old guy will billions and balls builds an arena.

Every sport with fans that reach X number needs a stadium/arena/pool/track/field/whatever or ur not in the next league higher.
Yep, that's the way it usually goes. And it will happen some day in Austin. As far as Houston is concerned, forget it. Hockey is dead, dead, dead in Houston.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
All I know is that when the league does add its next two teams, one will be an ETZ team in the East and the other will be a CTZ team in the Central Division moving Arizona back to the Pacific. I'm sure with time that the CTZ teams will not like traveling to Phoenix often if DST is in effect (which would put Phoenix effectively on Pacific time).

While I would prefer East #17 be in Quebec City, it's not a guarantee, even though it would bring the NHL back to having 8 Canadian teams as was the case from 1992-95 when the Nordiques moved, and in the same 8 cities.

Pandemonia

Aug 30, 2020
All I know is that when the league does add its next two teams, one will be an ETZ team in the East and the other will be a CTZ team in the Central Division moving Arizona back to the Pacific. I'm sure with time that the CTZ teams will not like traveling to Phoenix often if DST is in effect (which would put Phoenix effectively on Pacific time).

While I would prefer East #17 be in Quebec City, it's not a guarantee, even though it would bring the NHL back to having 8 Canadian teams as was the case from 1992-95 when the Nordiques moved, and in the same 8 cities.

Meanwhile, maybe next year we deep six the DST.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...3d3a0c-e8b8-11ea-bc79-834454439a44_story.html

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Honestly, it was a response to the post. Getting rid of DST would mean we're on standard shitty winter time all the time, I dislike that idea. Spring forward to Daylight time and then make it standard.

I assumed the article said something about how switching time sucks, since it does.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Honestly, it was a response to the post. Getting rid of DST would mean we're on standard shitty winter time all the time, I dislike that idea. Spring forward to Daylight time and then make it standard.

I assumed the article said something about how switching time sucks, since it does.

The experts in the article have documented how the semi-annual change between DST and regular has wide-spread health and economics effects (know also to the Elves as "switching sucks"). They don't profess to have a preference which zone we land in, just so long as we stay in one permanently.

Not so coincidentally, they mention that 38 states have passed legislation to make DST the new normal, but a national change requires the approval of Congress.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The experts in the article have documented how the semi-annual change between DST and regular has wide-spread health and economics effects (know also to the Elves as "switching sucks"). They don't profess to have a preference which zone we land in, just so long as we stay in one permanently.

Not so coincidentally, they mention that 38 states have passed legislation to make DST the new normal, but a national change requires the approval of Congress.
Oh yeah, bunch more car crashes and heart attacks too. This is all old news, at least to people in Nevada where we've been waiting for an act of congress to permanently spring forward. Honestly, I don't know why everyone didn't just spring forward permanently during/after the energy crisis since the justifications for using it don't go away just because energy is more affordable.

I can't think of a place I've lived that wouldn't benefit from permanent DST or a general shift in working/entertainment programming schedules. Since we're already used to changing times, that's the path of least resistance. Just needs to happen now.

4:30 December sunsets are the pits.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Just be like Arizona and have Ground Hog Day Time. It never ends here and we already have our own critter named Phil. :naughty:

Reactions: Venial Cyn

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Many ifs. Far too many.

If the NHL chooses to expand again... Just about impossible since they're on paper saying they have no interest of expanding past 32. The pandemic doesn't change this.

If the project gets approved... Difficult considering the sheer expense and only one option includes an arena big enough to host a NHL or NBA team.

If the people in control of the arena want a NHL team there... Difficult considering the NBA seems like a much better fit.

If they can find an owner willing to pay at least $650 million... Difficult considering there are less than a few hundred people in all of North America that can afford a team, let alone ones interested, let alone ones interested in putting one in San Diego.

If the NHL actually wants to put a team there... Difficult considering the Southern California market is so crowded to the point where the Anaheim Ducks barely break even. The population is huge, far larger than the second most populous state Texas and double the population of New York State, but there are limitations. This is likely one of them.

If they don't want to expand elsewhere instead... Near impossible considering the sheer number of better expansion options.
How is the NBA more of a fit? They have already had two teams fail there and have 4 California teams already. Also, Anaheim is 20 miles from LA, San Diego is 120 miles away

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
I mean, besides saying he is done with expansion, refusing even discuss expansion with Fertitta, and a laundry list of other reasons, there is no definite number. Unfortunate when you take those things into account though. When another league expands past 32, perhaps you will see it. Teams still have a lot more to lose than to gain when considering expansion. The money made from the expansion fee isn't made up from the amount they permanently lose in the future by admitting another member in. It also inherently makes their own franchise less valuable, despite what the NHL has done to artificially raise franchise values.

And last time I checked, no NHL teams are even close to considering expansion, let alone looking at it in the future. So unless you have a few candidates you would care to bring up, it is as unlikely as them expanding.

It is well under 100 miles away. That is not very far and more than reasonably enough in "Los Angele's territory" despite being outside the limit that would require a territory indemnity fee. The number and loyalty of pre-existing NHL fans there is well down the list of things the NHL looks at in a market.
Its 109 miles by plane and 120 miles by car. Not "well under" anything

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
How is the NBA more of a fit? They have already had two teams fail there and have 4 California teams already. Also, Anaheim is 20 miles from LA, San Diego is 120 miles away

Demographically it is a better fit. The NBA also has 30 teams so it is a better fit. San Diego Hockey outside of this version of the Gulls hasn’t been well supported at all. Southern California hockey market is crowded enough to the point that Anaheim barely breaks even.

Do you need more or is that enough?

Its 109 miles by plane and 120 miles by car. Not "well under" anything

I suggest you look up what the NHL territory definition is. It isn’t city center to city center. It isn’t even arena to arena. If that’s the case, a Hamilton NHL team wouldn’t need to pay Toronto an indemnity fee.

Pandemonia

Aug 30, 2020
I suggest you look up what the NHL territory definition is. It isn’t city center to city center. It isn’t even arena to arena. If that’s the case, a Hamilton NHL team wouldn’t need to pay Toronto an indemnity fee.

Look up where? We sent agents Fox and Mulder to look up NHL By-law 36 and they never returned.

And what definition? Defining TV territory has nothing to do with franchise location.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Look up where? We sent agents Fox and Mulder to look up NHL By-law 36 and they never returned.

And what definition? Defining TV territory has nothing to do with franchise location.

It is widely available in the NHL bylaws regarding expansion. There are about a dozen PDFs you can download from Google.

Do you not know about territory infringement in the NHL? I suggest you look it up too then. It laughably isn't TV territory. It is "home territory." I believe it was formerly called "corporate territory." Do a quick Google search, it is a good read.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
It is widely available in the NHL bylaws regarding expansion. There are about a dozen PDFs you can download from Google.

Do you not know about territory infringement in the NHL? I suggest you look it up too then. It laughably isn't TV territory. It is "home territory." I believe it was formerly called "corporate territory." Do a quick Google search, it is a good read.

Re: laughably isn't TV territory. Re-read the lady's post. She says the same thing without laughing about it.

I've done several Google searches and can only find stray single bylaws here and there.

Could you point me to one of the dozen PDFs you mentioned, please?

While you're at it, perhaps an authoritative source for territory infringement in the NHL would be nice to see. I can't find a thing using Google that's authoritative. I don't know, maybe it's these large hooves or something ...

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Re: laughably isn't TV territory. Re-read the lady's post. She says the same thing without laughing about it.

I've done several Google searches and can only find stray single bylaws here and there.

Could you point me to one of the dozen PDFs you mentioned, please?

While you're at it, perhaps an authoritative source for territory infringement in the NHL would be nice to see. I can't find a thing using Google that's authoritative. I don't know, maybe it's these large hooves or something ...

She claimed I was talking about TV territory. Since I was clearly talking about territory infringement, which has nothing to do with TV territory, I thought laughing was involved.

Here is one such PDF: http://www.cba.org/cba/cle/PDF/COMP09_BockingAward_paper.pdf. I was under the impression these things were easier to find. The Hockey News talks about the attached PDF here: https://www.si.com/hockey/news/can-the-maple-leafs-prevent-a-team-from-moving-to-southern-ontario. It isn't in PDF form but hopefully it is acceptable.

I haven't had the time or emotional energy to read through the new 2020 CBA, but the old one stated territory as 50 miles of the corporate limits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad