Which Locations (Arena) Are Ready To Take On An NHL Team?

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
What would the League look like if the teams with the three worst current arenas were switched for the cities with the three best available current arenas?

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Well... Atlanta, Kansas City and Houston join the league in the place of the Islanders, and two of Detroit, Calgary, Edmonton?

I don't think that's a good thing for anyone.

Didn't say it would be, I was just curious. But the MTS Centre is better than those 4?

Anyway, just killing time. It's rather dead around here.

Mighty Joe Moon

Jun 5, 2011
Lockport
Didn't say it would be, I was just curious. But the MTS Centre is better than those 4?

Anyway, just killing time. It's rather dead around here.

MTS Center, while not spectacular, is functional and modern. The luxury boxes are nice and have great views and amenities. And while it is more compact than the old arena, it is a big step up. I don't think Winnipeg can succeed long term with a larger arena, it's too small a market. Better to limit the supply to artificially increase demand and keep prices higher. The team will start to stink at some point and with a bigger arena you will start to see attendance issues because more seats means more supply, which in turn means it's easier to get a ticket, which means there is less urgency to jump on tickets when they become available. Plus any extra seats will only be going higher into the nosebleeds. The smaller arena works well here. I definitely felt pressure when trying to score my tickets. People were, and still are, panicky about not getting into the building to see games. You didn't see that in the early 90s.

Also, I've been to Montreal to see a few games and while it has a large capacity, the concourses are small and the seats aren't all that roomy. The last time I went I sat row 7 in the lower bowl. I felt it was the MTS Center on steroids. That was just my opinion. I'm not trying to dump on the building, I'm just trying to get a feel for what is considered a great facility.

Even if the team doesn't make the playoffs, but is still in contention for a spot down to the last week or so of the season, I think the fans will come out like they have now. There is a 'don't lose this again' vibe to the city. I think a larger facility would hurt it.

Anyway back on topic, if Les Alexander (is that his name?) in Houston can get on board, I can't see any other city, Hamilton, Quebec, or KC getting in the way. It's too big a market and would have a great rivalry with Dallas.

Last edited:

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
interesting. clearly you're leaning in a certain direction, but please outline your thoughts on that one?

I'm not leaning in any direction. I just figured that MTS would be near the bottom. But fine, if it isn't or people believe it isn't, fine. Cool your feathers, I'm not trying to ruffle any of them. Though I'll confess this, my post earlier about Quebec getting the Coyotes and thus the Red Wings not moving East... now that might have been an attempt to ruffle some feathers... "Red" ones. :)

Blue Dragon

Jan 27, 2007
Ohio
The Amway Center in Orlando is also NHL ready. Seats 17,200 for hockey according to Wikipedia. Not saying a team should or would move there with Tampa so close. Just sayin'.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
The Amway Center in Orlando is also NHL ready. Seats 17,200 for hockey according to Wikipedia. Not saying a team should or would move there with Tampa so close. Just sayin'.

You're right. I had no idea they built the arena for hockey as well. I figured it would just be for the Magic and Predators (Arena Football team)

Here's the seating chart for hockey.

AMWAY-tickets-seatingmap-hockey.jpg

gee

Jun 28, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm not leaning in any direction. I just figured that MTS would be near the bottom. But fine, if it isn't or people believe it isn't, fine. Cool your feathers, I'm not trying to ruffle any of them. Though I'll confess this, my post earlier about Quebec getting the Coyotes and thus the Red Wings not moving East... now that might have been an attempt to ruffle some feathers... "Red" ones. :)

no feathers ruffled here. i thought that maybe if they were going to limit capacity they would have added a few more boxes and/or something like the best buy club in vancouver

straka91*

KC is the only one I can think of. Out of all the cities listed they have the most NHL ready arena and has the best chance of supporting a team. Even though I think the NHL would fail in KC.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
You're right. I had no idea they built the arena for hockey as well. I figured it would just be for the Magic and Predators (Arena Football team)

Way to answer your own question :laugh:

An Arena Football field is about the size of a hockey rink. So if you are making the layout AFL ready it's hockey ready.
Whether or not an arena could host hockey or not is determined by the arrangement of seats.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Way to answer your own question :laugh:

An Arena Football field is about the size of a hockey rink. So if you are making the layout AFL ready it's hockey ready.
Whether or not an arena could host hockey or not is determined by the arrangement of seats.

Hmm, for some reason I thought the field was much smaller than a hockey rink.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Hmm, for some reason I thought the field was much smaller than a hockey rink.

Naw, they invented the sport to be compatible with hockey rinks.

Arena football is played exclusively indoors, in arenas usually designed for either basketball or ice hockey teams. The field is the same width (85 feet (26 m)) and length (200 feet (61 m)) as a standard NHL hockey rink. The field is 50 yards (50 yards (46 m)) long with eight-yard end zones. Depending on the venue in which a game is being played, the end zones may be rectangular (like a basketball court) or, where necessary because of the building design, curved (like a hockey rink). There is a heavily padded sideline barrier on each sideline, with the padding placed over the hockey dasher boards.

Felix29

It's been mentioned a couple times already... Omaha and the 16-17,000 seat Qwest Center (now renamed CenturyLink Center) would be a long shot. But would also have big fat cat corporate dollars feeding it (TD Ameritrade, Union Pacific, etc). Also home to one of the richest men in the world, Warren Buffett.

There is deep hockey history...

The biggest being the professional starting point of Gordie Howe when he played for the Omaha Knights in 1945.

Terry Sawchuk in 1948.

Or Scotty Bowman briefly coaching there in 1963-64.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
Speaking only about arenas ready to host hockey, Kansas City is tops on that list. Sprint Center is new and needs a tenant, and was built with hockey in mind. Portland's arena is also hockey-ready. Cleveland's Quicken Loans Arena is also hockey ready, though there's no way Cleveland would get a team as long as Columbus has one.

My list:

Kansas City (Sprint Center)
Portland (Rose Garden)
Cleveland (the Q)
Milwaukee (Bradley Center)
Indianapolis (Conseco Fieldhouse)
Louisville (Yum! Center) Why you would do this, I don't know, but it's an arena
Atlanta couldn't resist
Houston (Toyota Center)

Beyond this, other arenas probably need work. Am I missing any?

Just started reading this thread....Conseco Fieldhouse is iffy. That thing holds 14,400 for hockey. From what I have seen they have to section off huge portions of that place to fit a rink in there. I can't imagine the sightlines from the 200-level are all that great either. I wouldn't say this is capable of hosting NHL hockey. I've mentioned this before...but only if the market was desired and the NHL cold put up with the building until something more suitable was established.

I also don't believe the KFC Center (or KFC Yum! Center) is capable of holding hockey on any regular basis either as it would apparently not be able to have the rink in the centre of the building. The official website mentions an awful lot of features this building has, hosting hockey isn't one of them.

I suggest replacing these two with the FedEx Forum in Memphis and the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City.

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
Just started reading this thread....Conseco Fieldhouse is iffy. That thing holds 14,400 for hockey. From what I have seen they have to section off huge portions of that place to fit a rink in there. I can't imagine the sightlines from the 200-level are all that great either. I wouldn't say this is capable of hosting NHL hockey. I've mentioned this before...but only if the market was desired and the NHL cold put up with the building until something more suitable was established.

I also don't believe the KFC Center (or KFC Yum! Center) is capable of holding hockey on any regular basis either as it would apparently not be able to have the rink in the centre of the building. The official website mentions an awful lot of features this building has, hosting hockey isn't one of them.

I suggest replacing these two with the FedEx Forum in Memphis and the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City.

The FedEx Forum only seats 11,000 for hockey. It was built and designed for basketball similar to Conseco and KFC. OKC on the other hand was built for either the NBA or NHL. It certainly fits the criteria and OKC bid on expansion teams multiple times.

birminghambull

Jul 20, 2011
KC may have a nice, shiny new arena but do people care enough to support a team there? I don't think so and who is going to shell out the money to buy the team? The fact that Winnipeg was the only real contender for the Coyotes (once Balsillie got kicked to the curb) and the Thrashers speaks volumes on potential relocation's happening in US cities without a team.

Most of the cities you guys are mentioning are much too small to support an NHL team. IMO the only serious contenders right now are: 1) Quebec City if they can finalize their new arena getting built 2) Hamilton if the arena deal in QC falls through and Balsillie makes peace with Bettman or another owner steps into the picture 3) Houston if Les Alexander decides he wants to try getting in the NHL again. Houston would save the NHL from moving another western team into the eastern conference.

Seattle is starting to get mentioned a lot as a potential site but there are no plans for a new arena there currently and Key Arena is outdated and basketball specific anyways so it would be a stretch for it to work as a temporary home. Portland is intriguing as well but hard to see the Trailblazers wanting to share their arena with a hockey team in this economy.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Yeah, I was going to bring that up, too. The USHL's Ice play there every once in a while, and they need to completely revamp the building to get it hockey ready. I could see a team being planted in Indy and playing at Conseco, but it would be a major hassle for them and, with the reduced seating capacity, would probably be suitable for an AHL team at most.

AHL is full unless someone buys an existing team and moves it to the majority of these sites including INDY

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad