Which Locations (Arena) Are Ready To Take On An NHL Team?

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
In Advance, if this thread has already been made and I cannot find this than sorry for beating a dead horse. Everyone knows the Coyotes situation this year is serious and they may need to relocate. Not talking about ideal situations (Because it is Quebec City) but what teams are ready right now to host and NHL team?

Routerhead

Apr 7, 2010
Speaking only about arenas ready to host hockey, Kansas City is tops on that list. Sprint Center is new and needs a tenant, and was built with hockey in mind. Portland's arena is also hockey-ready. Cleveland's Quicken Loans Arena is also hockey ready, though there's no way Cleveland would get a team as long as Columbus has one.

My list:

Kansas City (Sprint Center)
Portland (Rose Garden)
Cleveland (the Q)
Milwaukee (Bradley Center)
Indianapolis (Conseco Fieldhouse)
Louisville (Yum! Center) Why you would do this, I don't know, but it's an arena
Atlanta couldn't resist
Houston (Toyota Center)

Beyond this, other arenas probably need work. Am I missing any?

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Winnipeg :sarcasm:

But possibly portland.. Maybe when i visit my family near there, ill have something interesting to do

Hockey Monk

Jun 11, 2011
Phoenix! We will need a team soon
Salt Lake City
Omaha (Quest Center built in 2003 holds 17k for hockey)

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Speaking only about arenas ready to host hockey, Kansas City is tops on that list. Sprint Center is new and needs a tenant, and was built with hockey in mind. Portland's arena is also hockey-ready. Cleveland's Quicken Loans Arena is also hockey ready, though there's no way Cleveland would get a team as long as Columbus has one.

My list:

Kansas City (Sprint Center)
Portland (Rose Garden)
Cleveland (the Q)
Milwaukee (Bradley Center)
Indianapolis (Conseco Fieldhouse)
Louisville (Yum! Center) Why you would do this, I don't know, but it's an arena
Atlanta couldn't resist
Houston (Toyota Center)

Conseco is not. It is essentially basketball specific and a good chuck of the lower level on 1 end needs to be removed. Center Ice isn't at center court.

conseco_fieldhouse_basketball_4_small.jpg

hockey_ice_tn.gif

GreenHornet

Mar 3, 2011
Norcross, GA
Atlanta couldn't resist

Nor SHOULD you resist. Getting A$G out of the picture would make Philips Arena ready today.

The Baby Dome in New Orleans. Yes, there are plenty of other reasons why NOLA is not a candidate for relocation or expansion (as has been discussed in another thread), but the building itself IS NHL-ready. They played minor-league hockey (with capacity over 17,000 and plenty of luxury boxes, IIRC) in there when it first opened.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Phoenix! We will need a team soon
Salt Lake City
Omaha (Quest Center built in 2003 holds 17k for hockey)

Beat me to it. Omaha should be on that list. ... 16,680
Also...
Tulsa ... BOK Center ... 17,096
Hamilton ... Copps Coliseum ... 17,383

And of course Atlanta should be on the list, even if the OP could resist.

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
Hamilton is the most ready right now with ownership waiting in the wings & plans to renovate Copps Coliseum all set to go just afto to get the mob like tatics of the leafs & to lesser exteint the sabers when comes to teritory .

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Just based on arena size/quality?

Portland's Rose Garden
Kansas City's Sprint Center
Milwaukee's Bradley Center
Houston's Toyota Center
Oklahoma City's Oklahoma City Arena
Cleveland's Quicken Loans Arena
Tulsa's BOK Center
Louisville's KFC Yum! Center (questionable upper bowl sight lines and I'm uncertain how many seats would be removed)

And if Winnipeg is now the rule rather than the exception, add Little Rock's Verizon Arena, New Orleans' New Orleans Arena and Des Moines' Wells-Fargo Center to that list.

As far as the Canadian venues go, Copps Coliseum is approaching the end of its life cycle, but could probably still house a team in its current state. Quebec's Colisee is a whole other ballgame: it's sixty years old and would have to undergo substantial renovations (again) to house an NHL tenant even temporarily.

Last edited:

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
Just based on arena size/quality?

Portland's Rose Garden
Kansas City's Sprint Center
Milwaukee's Bradley Center
Houston's Toyota Center
Oklahoma City's Oklahoma City Arena
Cleveland's Quicken Loans Arena
Tulsa's BOK Center
Louisville's KFC Yum! Center (questionable upper bowl sight lines and I'm uncertain how many seats would be removed)

And if Winnipeg is now the rule rather than the exception, add Little Rock's Verizon Arena, New Orleans' New Orleans Arena and Des Moines' Wells-Fargo Center to that list.

As far as the Canadian venues go, Copps Coliseum is approaching the end of its life cycle, but could probably still house a team in its current state. Quebec's Colisee is a whole other ballgame: it's sixty years old and would have to undergo substantial renovations (again) to house an NHL tenant even temporarily.

I agree with you to certin extent but Copps Coliseum is 25 years old & with the current renovations plan it could last another 40 - 50 years . Your right about le colisee it 60 years old & falling apart & would afto do major renos to be NHL. ready .

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Québec.

A team could play in the old colisée for a few season until the new arena is completed.

Bettman confirmed it.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-soleil/dossiers/vers-un-nouveau-colisee/201009/15/01-4315874-bettman-une-equipe-de-la-lnh-pourrait-jouer-temporairement-au-vieux-colisee.php

While nothing would make me happier than to have eight teams in Canada, doesn't this seem unrealistic. Any team that would function in a 10,000 arena, especially for three years, would hemmorage large amounts of funds, to the tune of (20 mill a year)?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Conseco is not. It is essentially basketball specific and a good chuck of the lower level on 1 end needs to be removed. Center Ice isn't at center court.

conseco_fieldhouse_basketball_4_small.jpg

hockey_ice_tn.gif

Yeah, I was going to bring that up, too. The USHL's Ice play there every once in a while, and they need to completely revamp the building to get it hockey ready. I could see a team being planted in Indy and playing at Conseco, but it would be a major hassle for them and, with the reduced seating capacity, would probably be suitable for an AHL team at most.

Bob1321

Feb 13, 2008
While nothing would make me happier than to have eight teams in Canada, doesn't this seem unrealistic. Any team that would function in a 10,000 arena, especially for three years, would hemmorage large amounts of funds, to the tune of (20 mill a year)?

we have more seat than the MTS center in winnipeg

so the colisée can be use temporarily

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009

15300 seats in the old barn

Fuzzy Bunny

Mar 5, 2007
Have to think it's Kansas City. No harm in giving them a chance w/ new arena issues in Quebec City. The arena in Kansas City is a real gem as well.

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
Hamilton
Quebec City
Kansas City

Are the most NHL. ready cities right now & all have issues such as Hamilton with teritory issues , Quebec City needs a new arena & Kansas City has arena but no ownership group has come forward . Still theses 3 cities in my opinion are the most NHL. ready & should have teams there within the next 5 - 8 years .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad