Which Locations (Arena) Are Ready To Take On An NHL Team?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It's been mentioned a couple times already... Omaha and the 16-17,000 seat Qwest Center (now renamed CenturyLink Center) would be a long shot. But would also have big fat cat corporate dollars feeding it (TD Ameritrade, Union Pacific, etc). Also home to one of the richest men in the world, Warren Buffett.

There is deep hockey history...

The biggest being the professional starting point of Gordie Howe when he played for the Omaha Knights in 1945.

Terry Sawchuk in 1948.

Or Scotty Bowman briefly coaching there in 1963-64.

Omaha won't work there w/ 3 other hockey franchises in the general area, Felix, not in this economy and when you get outdrawn by those established in that market is why Omaha is not considered

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
MTS Center, while not spectacular, is functional and modern. The luxury boxes are nice and have great views and amenities. And while it is more compact than the old arena, it is a big step up. I don't think Winnipeg can succeed long term with a larger arena, it's too small a market. Better to limit the supply to artificially increase demand and keep prices higher. The team will start to stink at some point and with a bigger arena you will start to see attendance issues because more seats means more supply, which in turn means it's easier to get a ticket, which means there is less urgency to jump on tickets when they become available. Plus any extra seats will only be going higher into the nosebleeds. The smaller arena works well here. I definitely felt pressure when trying to score my tickets. People were, and still are, panicky about not getting into the building to see games. You didn't see that in the early 90s.

Also, I've been to Montreal to see a few games and while it has a large capacity, the concourses are small and the seats aren't all that roomy. The last time I went I sat row 7 in the lower bowl. I felt it was the MTS Center on steroids. That was just my opinion. I'm not trying to dump on the building, I'm just trying to get a feel for what is considered a great facility.

Even if the team doesn't make the playoffs, but is still in contention for a spot down to the last week or so of the season, I think the fans will come out like they have now. There is a 'don't lose this again' vibe to the city. I think a larger facility would hurt it.

Anyway back on topic, if Les Alexander (is that his name?) in Houston can get on board, I can't see any other city, Hamilton, Quebec, or KC getting in the way. It's too big a market and would have a great rivalry with Dallas.

Alexander is going to keep his Rockets, and who knows how long that'll last now w/ no marketable star in there (Yao's retirement) dependingon how long the NBA....... Lockout...

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Speaking only about arenas ready to host hockey, Kansas City is tops on that list. Sprint Center is new and needs a tenant, and was built with hockey in mind. Portland's arena is also hockey-ready. Cleveland's Quicken Loans Arena is also hockey ready, though there's no way Cleveland would get a team as long as Columbus has one.

My list:

Kansas City (Sprint Center)
Portland (Rose Garden)
Cleveland (the Q)
Milwaukee (Bradley Center)
Indianapolis (Conseco Fieldhouse)
Louisville (Yum! Center) Why you would do this, I don't know, but it's an arena
Atlanta couldn't resist
Houston (Toyota Center)

Beyond this, other arenas probably need work. Am I missing any?

drop Cleveland, you're not getting QLA if Gilbert owns everything in that building (Lake Erie is part of his ownership)......

Kebekoi

Oct 3, 2006
Matane, QC
There isn't 1 within 7 hours drive

You didn't get the memo that Junior B hockey = NHL hockey? :sarcasm:

Here's a list I've done and my three favorites for the Coyotes + 2 expansions.

Arena Location Hockey Year
KFC Yum! Center Louisville, Kentucky 22600 2010
Rupp Arena Lexington, Kentucky 21300 1976
Quicken Loans Arena Cleveland, Ohio 19282 1994
Philips Arena Atlanta, Georgia 18545 1999
Rose Garden Portland, Oregon 18280 1992
Oklahoma City Arena Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 18035 2002
Colisée Vidéotron Québec, Québec 18000 2015
Toyota Center Houston, Texas 17800 2003
Bradley Center Milwaukee, Wisconsin 17800 1988
Copps Coliseum Hamilton, Ontario 17383 1985
Power Balance Pavilion Sacramento, California 17317 1988
Amway Center Orlando, Florida 17200 2010
Sprint Center Kansas City, Missouri 17104 2007
BOK Center Tulsa, Oklahoma 17096 2008
BJCC*Arena Birmingham, Alabama 16835 1976
Thomas & Mack Center Las Vegas, Nevada 16606 1983
New Orleans Arena New Orleans, Louisiana 16500 1998
Verizon Arena North Little Rock, AK 16000 1999
Frank Erwin Center Austin, Texas 15990 1977
XL Center Hartford, Connecticut 15635 1975
Wells Fargo Arena Des Moines, Iowa 15181 2005

Last edited:

uhlaw97

Jun 8, 2011
Katy, TX
It needs to be Houston.

Houston's Toyota Center is less than a decade old, and seats 17,800 for hockey.

It's READY-MADE for a new NHL franchise.

Houston should be at the top of the list.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Houston's Toyota Center is less than a decade old, and seats 17,800 for hockey.

It's READY-MADE for a new NHL franchise.

Houston should be at the top of the list.

Curious - are there prospective ownership groups in Houston (or groups that want to bring a team to Houston?) It seems that putting together a pitch for a franchise is a two part deal; interested and capable ownership, and an NHL-calibre arena.

AvsPredsFan19

May 8, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
The Amway Center in Orlando is also NHL ready. Seats 17,200 for hockey according to Wikipedia. Not saying a team should or would move there with Tampa so close. Just sayin'.

I work at Amway Center and they are already hockey ready. They are building more seats at the top sections to fit. They are having a preseason game on September 21 with the Tampa Bay Lightning vs. St. Louis Blues. There are rumors for that the city is trying to get a hockey team(not nhl but some other league) I think a league like the ahl or even the lower ones will have a market here. The Solar Bears did well in the 90s in the old arena. Also the NBA lockout is going to hurt the city big time. They are trying to find something to fill the spots instead of concerts. Although I hate living here(I was raised here but moved to Colorado for 12 months in 2002-2003) I loved the Solar Bears!(Thanks to them I got into hockey and became an avs fan when I went on ski trips yearly through the 90s) It would be cool to have a team to watch instead to have to drive to see the Bolts(which I like)But I am moving when I finish College to Colorado where my fan allegiance to the Colorado Avalanche)

The DeVos family owned the Solar Bear and the Magic also they own the ahl Grand Rapids Griffins.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I work at Amway Center and they are already hockey ready. They are building more seats at the top sections to fit. They are having a preseason game on September 21 with the Tampa Bay Lightning vs. St. Louis Blues. There are rumors for that the city is trying to get a hockey team(not nhl but some other league) I think a league like the ahl or even the lower ones will have a market here. The Solar Bears did well in the 90s in the old arena. Also the NBA lockout is going to hurt the city big time. They are trying to find something to fill the spots instead of concerts.

The DeVos family owned the Solar Bear and the Magic also they own the ahl Grand Rapids Griffins.

it won't be the AHL..... BYLAWS PREVENT 1 OWNER from operating multiple teams which is why the Solar Bears were merged into the Wolves

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
that's why you don't see one league in another's territory or market, though.........

Blainville-Boisbriand and The Habs, Ottawa 67's and Senators, Edmonton Oil Kings and Oilers, Vancouver Giants and Canucks, Chicago Blackhawks, Wolves and whatever the name of that ECHL is...

Yeah, there's no team in another league's territory.

Tanguay and Roy don't have ano other option but to accept the situation, should it happen. Why? Because, They would be booted out of the region if they were to be anally retentive about it.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Blainville-Boisbriand and The Habs, Ottawa 67's and Senators, Edmonton Oil Kings and Oilers, Vancouver Giants and Canucks, Chicago Blackhawks, Wolves and whatever the name of that ECHL is...

Tanguay and Roy don't have ano other option but to accept the situation, should it happen. Why? Because, They would be booted out of the region if they were to be anally retentive about it.

not really... and I don't buy that argument

matCH penalty

May 25, 2011
Don't forget the Marlies and the Leafs, too.

Neither do I. They won't get booted out so much as, y'know, made dead. :sarcasm:

QC has all the pieces ready at the drop of a hat. It's the most comprehensive solution for relocation, bar none. The Q's presence is not a real impediment.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Don't forget the Marlies and the Leafs, too.

Neither do I. They won't get booted out so much as, y'know, made dead. :sarcasm:

QC has all the pieces ready at the drop of a hat. It's the most comprehensive solution for relocation, bar none. The Q's presence is not a real impediment.

Toronto doesn't count since MLSE owns both franchises....

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca

I don't think you realize how much people want this here.

I'll just remind you of the 1978 Molson boycott. Tanguay's business, a furniture store chain is based in Québec. And his other ventures are all sports related. If he were to oppose a NHL team in the Colisée i'm pretty sure his business would face a province wide boycott.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I don't think you realize how much people want this here.

I'll just remind you of the 1978 Molson boycott. Tanguay's business, a furniture store chain is based in Québec. And his other ventures are all sports related. If he were to oppose a NHL team in the Colisée i'm pretty sure his business would face a province wide boycott.

yeah, apparently it wasn't enough to keep it there where was this Tanguay back in 1996, hmmmmmmm:sarcasm:

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
yeah, apparently it wasn't enough to keep it there where was this Tanguay back in 1996, hmmmmmmm:sarcasm:

Jacques Tanguay in 1996 was busy building up the store chain his father, Maurice, had founded. He wasn't yet the owner. And Roy was playing for the Canadien.

Québecor was still just a newspaper and magazine chain, and a couple of printing shops.

And the Canadian dollar was worth 0.72 US dollar. Today the Canadian Dollar is worth 1.06 USD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad