Which line would dominate more if at their peaks right now, McD-Gretzky-Kurri or Lemieux-Sid-Jagr?

Which line would be the best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
McDavid is not at his peak yet.

Agreed, I dont think his peak play to this point is actually as good as Crosby's peak but I think he will almost certainly reach a similar (maybe slightly better) peak.

@McVespa99, I concede that under your definition of peak, Gretzky is clearly better. The question was about tonight, though, so I don't think a 5-year period is necessarily the best metric for this question - especially because we can presume all of the players are healthy, which is by far the biggest factor that separates their peaks as you have defined it. I am not disagreeing with you, I just think we are looking at "peak" differently here.

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I like the idea of Jagr, Sid and Lemieux cycling the puck down low. How do you get the puck ? Insane amount of skill, lower body strength and scoring ability.

Kurri would have the time of his life going to the net with McDavid and Gretzky but i feel like the Pens trio overall would have ideal chemistry and the physical dominance to be an unstoppable force in the playoffs.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I think most of them would be freaked out by this time travel shit they just experienced, and would be unable to focus on something as trivial as playing a game of hockey. The 80's guys would just want to go see Creed 2, and you couldn't get Jagr away from an XBox One.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Lemieux (6), Jagr (5), Crosby (2) are all multiple art ross winners. Kurri the clear weak link of the 6 players.

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
Lemieux (6), Jagr (5), Crosby (2) are all multiple art ross winners. Kurri the clear weak link of the 6 players.
But Gretzky (10) and McDavid (2) have nearly as many art ross trophies between just the 2 of them. I agree that Kurri is the weakest link of these 6, but he's the best player defensively and he certainly had some great offensive seasons. The real problem is that he really only had 3 seasons that I would say even approach the level of some of these others - in 84-85 he has his 71 goal, 135 pts in 73 games, and the next year follows that up with 68 goals and 131 pts in 78 games. His 83-84 season was great too - 52 goals and 113 pts in only 64 games (141 pace over 80 games). This gives him really 3 straight years at what I would consider his peak. While impressive, its clearly behind Jagr's offensive peak. I don't know that his better defense is enough to make up the ground.

That said, Gretzky and Kurri should never be dismissed. Gretzky definitely knew how to get the most out of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad