Which line would dominate more if at their peaks right now, McD-Gretzky-Kurri or Lemieux-Sid-Jagr?

Which line would be the best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Have to go with the Penguins here.

Oilers trio has the speed advantage but the Penguins players are legit impossible to get the puck off of. They'll all use their gigantic asses to shield the puck, make elite plays with their generational talents and the rest his history.

tfu92

Nov 8, 2018
if you're going by absolute peak (as in if you only take 1 line into a bo7 playoff series), ill take the pens trio.

if you're going by a short duration peak (like 3 year period), ill take oilers trio.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Crosby and McDavid is basically a wash. Gretzky is better than Lemieux, but the gap isn't as big as the one between Jagr and Kurri.

Pens even though it's not wise to bet against Gretzky.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Can't go wrong in either one.

I think peak McDavid is going to be the best player since Lemieux so Oilers trio

Reactions: MC2D

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
The one with this guy

cut.jpg

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Pittsburgh

Lemieux ~ Gretzky

Crosby > McDavid

Jagr >> Kurri

I don't fully agree with Mario and Wayne being a wash but Kurri is the weak link here, so I'd go with the Pens and that puck possession would be unreal.

Throw Messier in the mix instead of Kurri then things might get interesting.

Reactions: Thenameless

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Based on nothing but idle speculation obviously, but i feel like the Penguins Trio would be a far more natural chemistry fit. When we're talking about elite players like this on both sides, that could easily be the difference.

Like...it's just hard to envision McDavid meshing amazingly with Gretzky. You've got one guy flying around pushing the pace to 11 all the time, and the other guy being a master of controlling pace and "slowing the game down"...and they both always want the puck to dissect a defence in their own particular way.

Whereas the Penguins trio...you've got 3 guys who all play in a somewhat similar, or at least compatible style. All very "heavy" games, controlling and cycling the puck around...owning the play, but all sort of balanced as guys who are both passers and scorers depending on the situation. Just seems like better on paper hypothetical chemistry to me.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

c4rdsh4rk

Sep 17, 2007
with gretz and mcdravid it doesnt matter who the 3rd wheel is. he would score more than jagr.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad