Which line would be better this season - Matthews/McDavid/Laine or Ovechkin/Crosby/Malkin

Pick the best line

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
The middle guys are closer than the wingers are so I'd pick 2. Ovi and Malkin > Matthews and Laine

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Laine and Matthews are the weak link. They cant hold a candle to Malkin and Ovi even if they are in their 30s.

? Matthews is better than Ovechkin. Laine no, but make no mistake about it Matthews is a far better hockey player. Laine is the 3rd best player on his team and Matthews would be the best player on Winnipeg without a doubt.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Lol okay but what about a few weeks from now then?

It's pretty well a toss-up. The second group is obviously starting to age, but I still remember Malkin's fairly recent end-to-end highlight reel goal, and am surprised at how Ovechkin just keeps on scoring goals at such a high level. If you replaced one of McDavid's wingers with MacKinnon, I'd take the first group.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
It's pretty well a toss-up. The second group is obviously starting to age, but I still remember Malkin's fairly recent end-to-end highlight reel goal, and am surprised at how Ovechkin just keeps on scoring goals at such a high level. If you replaced one of McDavid's wingers with MacKinnon, I'd take the first group.

True, tried to be fair with two centers and a winger on each line, also each of them get comparisons to their older counterparts.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Mcdavid with two finishers would be unreal. Also, from what I have seen, that line would really compliment each others strengths. Mcdavid rushing into the zone and passing, laine- sniping, and matthews board work and finishing in close.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Laine is the odd man out.

Arguably has the best shot right now, but he's very one dimensional compared to every other player listed.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews and Laine haven’t reached THAT level yet. Plus have you seen OV, Malkin, and Sid this season? They’re tearing it up. OV scoring at peak levels, Malkin looking like the best player in the game at times, and Crosby is just incredible; Mr. Consistent.

Reactions: dukeofjive

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
? Matthews is better than Ovechkin. Laine no, but make no mistake about it Matthews is a far better hockey player. Laine is the 3rd best player on his team and Matthews would be the best player on Winnipeg without a doubt.
Sigh.
Matthews has 11 games this year. Let’s not proclaim that he’s better than the current Rocket winner and the guy who looks primed to win his second straight and 8th overall.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The question, for me, is who I’d rather have in the playoffs. Unless we’re specifically asking about the regular season, that’s how I’m going to decide which line is better.

It’s the older line. They are a more well-rounded and better equipped line for the playoff environment.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Sigh.
Matthews has 11 games this year. Let’s not proclaim that he’s better than the current Rocket winner and the guy who looks primed to win his second straight and 8th overall.

Proclaim? He's been a better hockey player since he entered the NHL, Ovechkin is a slightly better goal scorer at best. It's okay to proclaim Pettersson is better than Matthews though because... 10 games right?

Last edited:
Reactions: thunder16

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Including Matthews rookie season Ovechkin has a whopping .03 points per game more than Matthews and Matthews has a .04 higher goals per game. We all know who the better defensive player is, it's not exactly an outlandish opinion.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Refer to post #22

Kind of odd how Matthews does what Ovechkin does best at a slightly higher rate since entering the NHL with less ice time and a better defensive game.

That's a convenient argument, since 2016-2017 was a poor year for Ovechkin. That poor year, by the way, broke a streak of 4 straight Rockets. Are you just going to overlook the fact Ovechkin put up 49 goals last season, and won the Rocket? Even if you want to play the pace argument for Matthews, despite missing 20 games last season, his pace was still below Ovechkin in both goals and points.

How many 50-goal seasons does Ovechkin have? How many Rockets? In the last 5 seasons, even including Ovechkin's poor 2016-2017 season, he has a 49 goal season, a 50 goal season, a 51 goal season, and a 53 goal season. In the last 5 seasons, he has 4 Rocket Richard Trophies.

You're barking up the wrong tree here. Matthews might have a better defensive game, and personally I think he gets overrated in that category, but Ovechkin is unquestionably the better goal scorer. Not just in terms of his career, but in terms of current ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad