Series Talk: Which Leaf has the most to prove in the postseason?

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Marner 21 points in 25 playoff games, Matthews 19 in 25 playoff games, Nylander 15 in 25 playoff games.

Just for context.
Why are you using numbers from 4 years ago? Matthews has 12 in 12 since 2019, Marner has 8 in 12 despite being one of the best regular season players in that span

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Jack Campbell will either be a starter or part of a tandem next year depending on his play, so him
Was thinking about this today. His dream of being an NHL starter hangs in the balance of his playoff performance. Will it have been a nice run by a backup/tandem goalie? Or will it be a #11 overall pick finally coming into his own and grabbing the reigns. I'd love to see him become our starter. Love his attitude and character

Reactions: The Apologist

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
I’m going on a limb and say Jack Campbell. He’s had a very good regular season and if it doesn’t translate to post season success he will pressed for a starting roll next season. And without reliable goaltending (sorry Anderson) Doug Ford will have the links ready to go just in time for another first round exit. This team will only go as far as the goalie will take them. Other than Mathews no one will have as much impact as the goalie

Reactions: The Apologist

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
For me it's Marner and JT. Marner solely because he wasn't prepared mentally for the Jackets series. If he brings his A game the Habs will be swept.

I actually enjoyed Tavares game last post season.....just take a look before you shoot this time. Those missed opportunities could have won the series on their own if some went in.

Rielly will be a beast and punish Habs on the boards just hope he fixed his 2 on 1s. He used to be good at them dunno wtf is going on.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
100 per cent our second line,

OUR first will get the top 2 dmen and shutdown line

Tavares I nylander have to be better

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
This will seem like a cop out but the entire team does. We have flirted with this notion we are a young up and coming team but it’s time to win some rounds. If we don’t make it to the final 4 the season will be a bust.

We have the core, improved our D, added depth and grit. About our only question mark is at goal. Can Campbell translate his regular season success to playoffs. Andersen is not the answer IMO and suspect he is gone at the end of the season.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Marner 21 points in 25 playoff games, Matthews 19 in 25 playoff games, Nylander 15 in 25 playoff games.

Just for context.

Just for some more different context using the same numbers you presented. :)

Brayden Point a comparable often used for Marner had 14 goals 19 assists 33 points in 23 games (from just 1 X last playoffs) vs Marner's 21 points in 25 games over 4 playoff years & 4 X round #1 losses .

ex Leaf Nazem Kadri had 9 goals 9 assists 18 points in 15 games (from just 1 X last years playoffs) vs Matthews 19 points in 25 games over 4 X playoff years & 4 X round #1 losses .

ie. Kadri's 18 points in 15 games X 1 playoff year >>>>> Matthews 19 points in 25 games X 4 playoff years. Kadri's -1 less point in -10 less games in -3 less playoff years, makes Matthews' numbers look pretty pedestrian in comparison from Leafs star forward.

My point being when you view this as Quality vs simply Quantity it paints a different picture of who has the most to prove and which sets of numbers standout for a different reason.

Leafs Key core players you mentioned are supposed to be key figures in driving Team success, and not simply stats accumulated behind Team failure. IMO

Last edited:

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I Tavares play great then i belive Nylander will too. If Nylander play great and Tavares dont that line will be crap. If Nylander play like crap and Tavares is great, they could still be ok.

So Tavares.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I think the 2nd line as a whole will be the most critical part to winning multiple rounds, but the most to prove is Campbell.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
I'll say Nylander and Reilly. If this team doesn't go deep, there will be changes. Matthews isn't going anywhere. Marner isn't going anywhere. Tavares isn't going anywhere. That leaves the only major changes that could be made are one of those contracts.

Although you could say Thornton, Simmonds and Spezza, who would REALLY like to win it all, and should have plenty of motivation.

Reactions: geo25

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Kerfoot, Holl, Spezza, Campbell and anyone that is new.

The first 3 had a rough go in the playins last year. Campbell needs to solidify his greatness.

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
You still think Nylander is better?

nylander is not paid to be elite, he is paid to be a very good player

the 3 11'ish million dollar guys are paid to be elite

which guy below does not make about 11 million?

this is 5 on 5 playoff production

upload_2021-5-17_21-22-29-png.435163

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
nylander is not paid to be elite, he is paid to be a very good player

the 3 11'ish million dollar guys are paid to be elite

which guy below does not make about 11 million?

this is 5 on 5 playoff production

upload_2021-5-17_21-22-29-png.435163
Actually the poster claimed Nylander waas literally a better hockey player.
But....Your stats a specious and devoid of context.

Nylander had 1 good game against columbus as measured by XGF%
Both Matthews and Tavares were terrible when they played with him and actually did well with Marner.
Marner was the most consistently good player on the team

Start here and scroll through the games
Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Toronto Maple Leafs - Sunday August 2 2020 - MoneyPuck.com

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002

Both Matthews and Tavares were terrible when they played with him and actually did well with Marner.

Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Toronto Maple Leafs - Sunday August 2 2020 - MoneyPuck.com

sorry.. xGF had how may points?
i only posted factual PRODUCTION over 25 games at 5 on 5
i honestly did not see the comment about saying willie was better than mitch, and i did not say that
what i DID say was that the 3 elite paid players have the most to prove, and by that i mean all 3 of them... and they need to be above 1 ppg to earn their coin ... none of your attempts at fancy talk disputed any of what i posted...
why do YOU turn my comments in to a statement knocking nylander?
you think the 3 rich boys have earned their money in the playoffs?
that;s fair, i do not
anyhoo.. let's hope the team puts all the chatter behind them and go on a nice long run with everyone playing well...

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Who were your top-3 best players for the Leafs in that Columbus series?

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
sorry.. xGF had how may points?
i only posted factual PRODUCTION over 25 games at 5 on 5
i honestly did not see the comment about saying willie was better than mitch, and i did not say that
what i DID say was that the 3 elite paid players have the most to prove, and by that i mean all 3 of them... and they need to be above 1 ppg to earn their coin ... none of your attempts at fancy talk disputed any of what i posted...
why do YOU turn my comments in to a statement knocking nylander?
you think the 3 rich boys have earned their money in the playoffs?
that;s fair, i do not
anyhoo.. let's hope the team puts all the chatter behind them and go on a nice long run with everyone playing well...
You responded to my post where I called him out for a literal comment.
Your actual points are garbage low event nonsense. Nylander was crap last playoffs.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
I’d say Matthews. Debatably the best player in the NHL. It’s time to prove he’s the best.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Who were your top-3 best players for the Leafs in that Columbus series?
Best is difficult because it shifted game to game. Marner was consistently good. Matthew's had a tough go first game and played better after. Tavares was decent when he he wasn't playing with Nylander withe the exception of game 2.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
What I find funny is fans, both Toronto and non-Leaf, have had some weird concept that the Leafs were suppose to do something in their recent playoff experiences.
I know most the world is controlled by belief in things that aren't real, but how could anyone perceive the results from the Leafs have been a disappointment.
You HAVE to have a good two-way game to win and the Leafs in the recent past have not had that. Right now, they've improved in this regard ever so slightly with their
returning players, maybe a little bit more with additions. This is a huge undertaking, not sure the Leafs are there yet. A few posters have listed the entire team needs
to prove themselves... they might have the most reasonable answers listed here.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
If Matthews reverts to the scared version we are in trouble. He's hit/miss on how he plays in the playoffs for how big he is.

I think the Leaf with the biggest to prove has to be Rielly, he needs to be one of the best players on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad