Which jersey concept would you prefer to be the third in Brooklyn?

• Thread starter startainfection*
  • Start date

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
There are literally dozens of apps that allow you to listen to radio stations from all around the world for free. They're free, easily available, and get better reception than standard radio.

Take about 30 seconds to search any App Store and you'll have a solution to this "problem".

Edit: and you haven't been able to listen to a game more than 5,000ft away from the coliseum for the past 40 years. Are we really gonna pretend that radio is the most valuable form of advertising for the isles all of a sudden in 2013? I mean in a world of streaming video and a seemingly limitless ways to view a game are we really going to pretend that having a radio station that broadcasts all the way to BK is going to have a good ROI for the next two years? This is just a ridiculous complaint. I mean does anyone under 80 years old even listen to sporting events on he radio anymore? I love hockey but I have to admit that listening to the audio of a game is more boring than watching paint dry. Especially when you can just pop the T.V. On and watch it in BK or go to a website and get the stream.

For those of us old enough to have drivers licenses and the responsibilities of a job, mortgages, bills to pay and children to drive around, listening to the radio in the car is frequently the only avenue to catch a game. Some folks don't have the luxury of sitting in front of a computer to stream a game or just pop on the TV. In fact, and I know this may be a strange concept to some, many people work nights and he radio is their only outlet be able to listen to a game.

Believe it or not there is a whole slice of society that still listens to the radio a fact further proven by the Yankees $15 million dollar deal with WFAN. A station doesn't pay that kind of money for no listeners.

Your argument loses credibility when you state what is so easy for you to do while not considering those options may not be so easy for others. Truly a by product of the "me" world we live in.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
For those of us old enough to have drivers licenses and the responsibilities of a job, mortgages, bills to pay and children to drive around, listening to the radio in the car is frequently the only avenue to catch a game. Some folks don't have the luxury of sitting in front of a computer to stream a game or just pop on the TV. In fact, and I know this may be a strange concept to some, many people work nights and he radio is their only outlet be able to listen to a game.

Believe it or not there is a whole slice of society that still listens to the radio a fact further proven by the Yankees $15 million dollar deal with WFAN. A station doesn't pay that kind of money for no listeners.

Your argument loses credibility when you state what is so easy for you to do while not considering those options may not be so easy for others. Truly a by product of the "me" world we live in.

I agree with you on the bolded part. I think I'm as technically savy as the next guy but in the car, my default listening is the radio. I don't take my iPhone and plug it in so that I can listen to the radio on an app. Going for the radio is always my fist move. A pro sports team having a big time radio station that reaches the region gives the team cache. The Isles on Radio Hofstra is small time.

And BTW Fartface, baseball was made for radio. I still enjoy listening to games in the car. My XM is usually set to one of the MLB channels.

Last edited:

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I don't like that it's going to be just black and white, I think that's boring. I don't get what that has to do with Brooklyn. Add some orange and I'd be alot happier.

I really hope it isn't some roundel logo or another wordmark. I'd love if they created an additional logo that was different, not something boring.

eastonhockey22*

Your entire argument against the islanders is based of this "me world" mentality that your complaining of. There's not a single argument that you've brought up about how "bad" the move is that isnt based on how it's going to effect you personally. This is seriously the most hypocritical statement I've ever read.

Edit: and what's all this talk about bills and mortgages? Is it supposed to be my fault that you're in your 40 and can't get your **** together and pay your bills? Why is you being broke even relevant?

Last edited by a moderator:

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Your entire argument against the islanders is based of this "me world" mentality that your complaining of. There's not a single argument that you've brought up about how "bad" the move is that isnt based on how it's going to effect you personally. This is seriously the most hypocritical statement I've ever read.

Edit: and what's all this talk about bills and mortgages? Is it supposed to be my fault that you're in your 40 and can't get your **** together and pay your bills? Why is you being broke even relevant?

First off, I have never made an argument, not one, against the New York Islanders. I have debated their decision to move among other things but argued against them....never.

As for the move, I have never once stated that it is bad for me nor have I stated how it would effect me personally. What I have tried to do is make people like you, with blinders on, see that there are two sides to this move both good an bad. You took the good side and I the bad. You don't like my posts because 90% of the time I have proven you wrong and rather than just accept that you prefer to attack, so I guess I have to pay by your rules now.

As for your personal attack on my income, I am very fortunate in that I do not have any problems paying my bills as so many others on Long Island do. In fact, I give handsomely to chartable causes almost daily as my way to pay it forward and help those in need. I am also lucky enough that when I get home I don't smell like fast food but if it came to that to support my family I would do so proudly. If I choose to go to NYI games in Brooklyn, it would be easy for me and public transport would never even come into play, but it's not about me. I work hard against the "me" generation because it is killing society as a whole. I wish I was in a situation of living at home and pissing my minimum wage away with no cares or responsibilities in the world, downloading internet crap, playing video games and searching for apps to listen to hockey games. I do remember those times and they were quite fun.

Your original post was about the radio situation and for the umpteenth time you have responded by trying to change the focus to something else. It's a defensive move and I can understand why you do it.

My point, that you so intelligently responded to, was that the many more people listen to the radio than you think. And just like our debates about the move, because you don't listen to the radio and because the move doesn't effect you negatively, then all is right in the world.

I honestly feel bad for you when you step into the real world because you have quite an education coming.

Sideshow Bob

Nov 18, 2008
springfield prison
Isles fan is spot-on. I am proud to say that I am a radio listener as well. Frequent late nights at work, listen to games in car on way home or driving kids to sporting events etc. no, not as many people listen to isles as do the Yankees, but the Yankee deal illustrates that sports radio is far from dead.

I don't need to defend isles fan, he has defended himself quite eloquently. (Is this was a Facebook post I would "like" it.) Having responsibilities in life such as employment (as is necessary to pay bills including mortgage), being an engaged parent bringing kids to/from sports activities, birthday parties, religious school, extra help/tutoring/boy scout activities etc are a part of responsible adult life and a being a productive member of society. Participating in these activities does not imply one doesn't have their **** together, or is struggling to pay bills or is broke. To the contrary, one MUST have their **** (somewhat) together to balance all these things in life. The point being, theses are all things that would preclude someone from sitting in front of a computer streaming games or watching tv live. Hence the need for radio.

What does any of this have to do with new alternate jersey design for Brooklyn? My personal preference, not a fan of the straight black and white, needs some kind of blue or orange accents. Also not a fan of the word "Brooklyn" diagonally across. Why copy the rangers? (Or bolts, or stars, etc). Would rather have a traditional islander logo on a puck coming though the Brooklyn bridge without any words if we're gonna have an alternate.

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
I don't like that it's going to be just black and white, I think that's boring. I don't get what that has to do with Brooklyn. Add some orange and I'd be alot happier.

I really hope it isn't some roundel logo or another wordmark. I'd love if they created an additional logo that was different, not something boring.

Black+white+orange looks very nice. The Islanders jerseys with a very dark blue demonstrate that. It doesn't take a vivid imagination to see black in place of navy.

A radical transformation isn't necessary. Include Brooklyn and Queens in the logo, have a third jersey with black in place of (the home) blue, and nearly everyone is happy.

But I can't imagine my Ranger-fan friends in Brooklyn jumping on board the Islander train when the team's logo consists of a map of Nassau and Suffolk counties..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad