Which jersey concept would you prefer to be the third in Brooklyn?

• Thread starter startainfection*
  • Start date

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
change the black to blue and it would be awesome

Why even debate this? Yormark pretty much confirmed a black & white third jersey.

This is the best I heard from him today though:

Skolnick Music ‏@SkolnickMusic 9h

@brettyormark Brett, isles coming to major NYC station correct?
Brett Yormark ‏@brettyormark 8h

@SkolnickMusic when they come to brooklyn you can count on it.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006

OK, what would you expect him to say? No?

Is there that much a lack of common sense around here? Anything that is asked of him will be a positive spin for now.

Actually he is making a huge mistake. If the Isles really cared about creating fans in Brooklyn, they would contract with a station NOW that has a signal to reach Brooklyn.

Yet, another marketing disaster by the great Yormark.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
BKLNr_zps9af1cbe5.png

brooklyn-american-hockey.jpg

I almost don't mind that as a 3rd.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Here is some more news for the great and almighty Yormark, black is dead.

Teams are moving away from black jersey's. The Mets scrapped theirs, the White Sox, who have black as a primary color, have pretty much done away with them, the Knicks tried black, didn't work.

A quick check of the top selling NFL jerseys shows none in the top ten with black as a primary color, top selling MLB jerseys, black first appears at #17 for Andrew McCutchen with the Pirates and NBA see Deron Williams with the Nets coming in at #8 as the top selling jersey with black as the primary color.

Yormark is jumping on the black fad too late. That train has left the station. It appears he is basing things too much on what the Nets have done.

Oh and here's another interesting thing to consider:

http://news.menshealth.com/the-jersey-color-winners-wear/2012/05/02/

The Isles have enough trouble staying out of the box, they don't need their laundry to help in anyway.

The only NHL Jersey's that should consider black are those that have black in their color scheme, Bruins, Canes, Ducks, Hawks, Stars, Kings, Sens, Pens, and Sharks.

If most teams with black as part of their official color scheme don't have a black jersey, maybe that tells you something......

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

Teams are moving away from black jersey's. The Mets scrapped theirs, the White Sox, who have black as a primary color, have pretty much done away with them, the Knicks tried black, didn't work.

A quick check of the top selling NFL jerseys shows none in the top ten with black as a primary color, top selling MLB jerseys, black first appears at #17 for Andrew McCutchen with the Pirates and NBA see Deron Williams with the Nets coming in at #8 as the top selling jersey with black as the primary color.

Yormark is jumping on the black fad too late. That train has left the station. It appears he is basing things too much on what the Nets have done.

The Isles have enough trouble staying out of the box, they don't need their laundry to help in anyway.

The only NHL Jersey's that should consider black are those that have black in their color scheme, Bruins, Canes, Ducks, Hawks, Stars, Kings, Sens, Pens, and Sharks.

If most teams with black as part of their official color scheme don't have a black jersey, maybe that tells you something......

Your "research" is limited to jerseys. Kinda think the one shot at a third Brooklyn based jersey is gonna be more about a 'lifestyle' brand as Yormark already said.

Black doesn't work when you use it with blue and orange - hence why it was scrapped. And why the isles should have never don't those other terrible jerseys.

A simple, black, white, grey themed jersey will sell. No doubt.

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
Why even debate this? Yormark pretty much confirmed a black & white third jersey.

This is the best I heard from him today though:

isles coming to major NYC station correct?
Quote:

Excellent! Great news! It's about time. I would've liked them on a big radio station this year but NYI keeps losing money until they get to Brooklyn and big time radio stations cost money.

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
I don't get the hatred for a third jersey. People are reacting as if this is the confirmed report of the change of our main jersey. The sole purpose of the third jersey is marketing dollars. It's for jersey sales. And these things will sell, as we've seen with the Nets.

Money is good for this team...

Yes. They need more money and to spread the word about Brooklyn and the black thirds will do both.

The Korean*

Is there that much a lack of common sense around here? Anything that is asked of him will be a positive spin for now.

Actually he is making a huge mistake. If the Isles really cared about creating fans in Brooklyn, they would contract with a station NOW that has a signal to reach Brooklyn.

Thats not up to him. He doesnt actually run the entire Islanders franchise.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

So it's a huge mistake they don't contract now? Is it also a huge mistake to waste the money on it two years in advance?

Seriously, people are gonna nick pick everything to death about this move....

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
Your "research" is limited to jerseys. Kinda think the one shot at a third Brooklyn based jersey is gonna be more about a 'lifestyle' brand as Yormark already said.

Black doesn't work when you use it with blue and orange - hence why it was scrapped. And why the isles should have never don't those other terrible jerseys.

Yes. Black works with white and orange not blue. Brooklyn loves black. And the third will be aimed at the lifestyle and non traditional folks. Screw what other teams do and go with your market. The purpose of the third is money and awareness.

eastonhockey22*

First you say he has awful marketing plans and say he should be doing more to attract fans in BK, in your very next post, you lash out at the guy for trying to align the Isles with the Brooklyn/Barclays Brand by introducing a third black/white Jersey to the team.

Make up your mind.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
I almost don't mind that as a 3rd.

why wait buy Rangers jersey, it has pretty much the same front design:shakehead

its already. its going to be black, no doubt about it, but why does it have to have lettering on the front? i mean up until a few years ago the only team to have that in the modern era are our arch rivals, so lets get a jersey that mimics that.

and the sad thing is people will buy that garbage.

but as long as out home and aways stay the same i wont be too upset

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
That why the Nets chose it? anyone know that rationale?
Jay-Z designed the logo and picked the colors.

He picked them because they are aesthetically pleasing, complimentary colors and because black is his favorite color. It was also a color scheme that had never been done in the NBA before - the only team to come close are the Spurs, who are black and silver.

Blue and orange, as complimentary colors, go well together, as do black and white. It just so happened for the Mets (and to a lesser extent the Isles) that the Dodgers had blue and white and the Giants had black and orange, giving birth to their blue-orange-black-white heritage. While orange, white and blue are the colors of New York City, blue and gold are the colors of Brooklyn.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
First you say he has awful marketing plans and say he should be doing more to attract fans in BK, in your very next post, you lash out at the guy for trying to align the Isles with the Brooklyn/Barclays Brand by introducing a third black/white Jersey to the team.

Make up your mind.

Actually what I was saying in both is that they are both marketing disasters and never did I say he should be doing more to attract fans in Brooklyn.

He claims he wants to create new fans in Brooklyn, but doesn't have a radio station signal to reach Brooklyn and then he jumps on the Black jersey fad after that train has left the station. He misses the bulls eye on this not once, but twice.

Oh FWIW just because a jersey sells doesn't mean someone bought it is a fan. Many people buy sports apparel because they think it is some kind of fashion statement or they saw their favorite musician or cleb wearing it.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
So it's a huge mistake they don't contract now? Is it also a huge mistake to waste the money on it two years in advance?

Seriously, people are gonna nick pick everything to death about this move....

Yormark claims there is this huge untapped fan base for the NYI in Brooklyn. If he had ANY marketing sense, he would tap that now, yes two years before they are there, and get people excited about the team. How do you do that? By allowing this alleged untapped market be able to, at the very least, catch a radio signal that goes past NVMC.

As for cost, aren't they generating $35 million, I think that's the number everyone is throwing around, just by stepping foot into the new building? And a stronger signal means more advertising that leads to more revenue. Cost should not be an issue, unless of course the $35 million isn't really $35 million. Kinda makes ya think doesn't it.

This is marketing 101, create excitement before the product arrives, make people clamor for it once it does, supply and demand. Why do you think you hear about the next years car before they hit the showroom floor? Why do you think fast food has teaser commercials before they launch products? This guy knows zip about marketing.

Has he been successful with the Nets? Yes, but a third grader could have been successful with a basketball team in a basketball hotbed. The Nets would have sold tickets and merchandise without doing a single thing marketing because the area was starving for it. Not so with hockey and the Isles.

I can make the same comparison in Winnipeg. That town was so hockey starved that their marketing team doesn't have to lift a finger and the place sells out and merchandise flies off the shelves. Like selling water in the desert, anyone can do it.

Last edited:

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006

In a conversation about a hockey jersey, please see the title of the thread, why wouldn't my research be limited to jerseys? Would you rather I research black bras or jeans or something else that has ZERO correlation to the topic at hand?

Buying a hockey jersey is now a lifestyle? Am I that much out of the loop? Or is Yormark saying he is trying to market to the same demographic as the Nets?

Please explain to me, anyone, how a hockey jersey is a lifestyle brand or for that matter WTF a lifestyle brand is. :shakehead

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Thats not up to him. He doesnt actually run the entire Islanders franchise.

Yes, that is correct. However, as the head if marketing his job is to create excitement and demand and work with the team to o so. Kinda hard to do when you cannot even get the game on the radio.

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
Yes, that is correct. However, as the head if marketing his job is to create excitement and demand and work with the team to o so. Kinda hard to do when you cannot even get the game on the radio.

If we went 82-0, how many people do you really think will be listening on the radio? The Blackhawks led the league with an average of 129,800 per game, while we got 2,000. How much could we possibly gain for the cost of paying to be on a big station? The Devils' ratings on WFAN are so good there's no mention of them anywhere.

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
If we went 82-0, how many people do you really think will be listening on the radio? The Blackhawks led the league with an average of 129,800 per game, while we got 2,000. How much could we possibly gain for the cost of paying to be on a big station? The Devils' ratings on WFAN are so good there's no mention of them anywhere.

That's not the point AT ALL. First rule in marketing is to reach as many people as you can however you can. Never turn down a potential option for that. Very few teams do. 2 people hear then they tell 2 people and so on. It's not your money to worry about if the cost offsets the results because the exact end result in terms of what it leads to via fan awareness is unknown. What is known is exposure in any form can't hurt. A comparison between a NJ team and a soon to be NYC team is irrelevant.

Last week I was running errands in my car and listened to NJD postgame on WFAN. I worked late last night, got home and listened to NJD on WFAN while making dinner. Both times I got informed and NJD was exposed. There have been countless examples of when I needed that for NYI and didn't get it because they were on a radio station not gotten past the NVMC parking lot. Frustrating. Not everyone is near a computer/TV constantly.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I agree BMD --

But first off -- you can't expect Yormark to say anything definite about a new radio station. You think he knows if there is a current contract? How long it lasts? Who has it? Is there an escape clause? I couldnt even tell you where the Isles are on the dial right now. Is it Hofstra?

The reality is hockey is horrible on the radio -- Only hard core Isles fans will use it, and then only if they can't watch it on TV.

I think it would have more value to have an app for your phone which has play by play. Spending big $$ for a big station doesn't seem to yield a big ROI.

And frankly .. he is two years out --a radio station is the least of his concerns.

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
I agree BMD --

But first off -- you can't expect Yormark to say anything definite about a new radio station. You think he knows if there is a current contract? How long it lasts? Who has it? Is there an escape clause? I couldnt even tell you where the Isles are on the dial right now. Is it Hofstra?

The reality is hockey is horrible on the radio -- Only hard core Isles fans will use it, and then only if they can't watch it on TV.

I think it would have more value to have an app for your phone which has play by play. Spending big $$ for a big station doesn't seem to yield a big ROI.

And frankly .. he is two years out --a radio station is the least of his concerns.

Yormark already said they'd be on a new radio station in Brooklyn. See post #76 above. "Brett Yormark ‏@brettyormark 8h @SkolnickMusic when they come to brooklyn you can count on it." You can bet he knows all about the current fiasco, contract, station.

Again, you don't cut out ANY segment of a potential audience because it's not a personal fav option. To other people it is and offers exposure. Especially NYI who can't draw flies and need to get all the attention they can. Most teams are on big radio stations so that tells you all you need to know. Let Yormark worry about ROI,that's his job not your money. Makes no sense to ignore a good wide reaching option.

Yormark wouldn't have already said NYI will finally be on a decent radio station in Brooklyn if it wasn't worthwhile and talked/thought about already.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Yormark already said they'd be on a new radio station in Brooklyn. See post #76 above. "Brett Yormark ‏@brettyormark 8h @SkolnickMusic when they come to brooklyn you can count on it." You can bet he knows all about the current fiasco, contract, station.

Yormark wouldn't have already said NYI will finally be on a decent radio station in Brooklyn if it wasn't worthwhile and talked/thought about already.

I saw the post. Its not surprising. Kinda like a politician "yesing" everyone to death in hopes to get their vote. He isn't going to say anything which might pi$$ off anyone.

I'm also not taking a twitter post as fact or guaranteed. I would hope that you wouldn't either.

Even if he knew nothing of the radio issue the Isles have, that would be the answer I would expect him to give.

Moving a team, trying to bring fans with them, selling a new product in a not so perfect building and changing decades old routines (for a few people) is not an easy sell. Radio options should be far down on his list.

I'm all for a killer station to broadcast the Isles to Moose Jaw -- I just don't think its a big deal. Get an app ( to stream the games) for our phones first, then worry about signing a radio deal.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I saw the post. Its not surprising. Kinda like a politician "yesing" everyone to death in hopes to get their vote. He isn't going to say anything which might pi$$ off anyone.

I'm also not taking a twitter post as fact or guaranteed. I would hope that you wouldn't either.

Even if he knew nothing of the radio issue the Isles have, that would be the answer I would expect him to give.

Moving a team, trying to bring fans with them, selling a new product in a not so perfect building and changing decades old routines (for a few people) is not an easy sell. Radio options should be far down on his list.

I'm all for a killer station to broadcast the Isles to Moose Jaw -- I just don't think its a big deal. Get an app ( to stream the games) for our phones first, then worry about signing a radio deal.

I made it from the Coliseum all the way to the Bell Blvd exit on the Cross Island Parkway before I lost the radio station.:sarcasm:

eastonhockey22*

Yormark claims there is this huge untapped fan base for the NYI in Brooklyn. If he had ANY marketing sense, he would tap that now, yes two years before they are there, and get people excited about the team. How do you do that? By allowing this alleged untapped market be able to, at the very least, catch a radio signal that goes past NVMC.

As for cost, aren't they generating $35 million, I think that's the number everyone is throwing around, just by stepping foot into the new building? And a stronger signal means more advertising that leads to more revenue. Cost should not be an issue, unless of course the $35 million isn't really $35 million. Kinda makes ya think doesn't it.

This is marketing 101, create excitement before the product arrives, make people clamor for it once it does, supply and demand. Why do you think you hear about the next years car before they hit the showroom floor? Why do you think fast food has teaser commercials before they launch products? This guy knows zip about marketing.

Has he been successful with the Nets? Yes, but a third grader could have been successful with a basketball team in a basketball hotbed. The Nets would have sold tickets and merchandise without doing a single thing marketing because the area was starving for it. Not so with hockey and the Isles.

I can make the same comparison in Winnipeg. That town was so hockey starved that their marketing team doesn't have to lift a finger and the place sells out and merchandise flies off the shelves. Like selling water in the desert, anyone can do it.

There are literally dozens of apps that allow you to listen to radio stations from all around the world for free. They're free, easily available, and get better reception than standard radio.

Take about 30 seconds to search any App Store and you'll have a solution to this "problem".

Edit: and you haven't been able to listen to a game more than 5,000ft away from the coliseum for the past 40 years. Are we really gonna pretend that radio is the most valuable form of advertising for the isles all of a sudden in 2013? I mean in a world of streaming video and a seemingly limitless ways to view a game are we really going to pretend that having a radio station that broadcasts all the way to BK is going to have a good ROI for the next two years? This is just a ridiculous complaint. I mean does anyone under 80 years old even listen to sporting events on he radio anymore? I love hockey but I have to admit that listening to the audio of a game is more boring than watching paint dry. Especially when you can just pop the T.V. On and watch it in BK or go to a website and get the stream.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad