OT: Which is worse: Andi Petrillo (TSN) or Colby Armstrong (HC)

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by heybuddyhowyadoing, Dec 5, 2017.

1. slozo

slozo Registered User

I think he's entitled to that opinion, without being deemed a cold-hearted jerk.
    It is sports radio, that's what it is supposed to be, anyways. I'll be honest with you, I listen to other channels on that Bell Let's Talk day . . . not because I don't care about people with mental illness or depression issues . . . but for the plain fact of, I listen to the sports talk radio to list to sports talk. Period.

Everyone as a consumer is entitled to want to listen to actual sports talk when tuning into ESPN radio.

2. Bluelines

Bluelines Python FTW!

Yep everyone is entitled to lack empathy and be heartless, its the beauty of living in Canada.

3. slozo

slozo Registered User

My answer to that is Jennifer Hedger.
    On a scale of hotness, especially ten years ago, I put Hedger at #1 for me, she's a gorgeous woman, total package.

She also is extremely intelligent on sports, and she really knows her stuff - can easily compete with the most knowledgeable males in this regard, and her beauty didn't stop me from seeing that.

Andi isn't nearly as attractive to me personally, btw.

I think Petrillo is a fan of sports, and likes sports; but this business is competitive and current, and you have to be knees deep into it every day to keep up. Some people do the work, and some don't. A guy like Hayes is not only is intelligent, but you can tell that he does a lot of homework to stay updated on all of the issues of the day.

AreBe likes this.
  4. slozo

slozo Registered User

How do you know that your cruel comment to me and the other poster didn't just send us off our meds, dude! How cruel are YOU?!?
    :help:

5. TheTotalPackage

TheTotalPackage Registered User

I think this is a pretty accurate distinction. Her work on the Olympics, soccer, TSN panel, and back in the day when she started out on LeafsTV, is (was) very good.

I don't overly mind her on the radio, but she can come across as a high school girl at times.

AreBe likes this.
  6. Bluelines

Bluelines Python FTW!

Mental illness is now a joke for you?

7. Ryan Michaels

Ryan Michaels Registered User

Yeah thats a pretty good example of Craig and Gord being gigantic tools. Leafs Lunch is bad as a whole but Andi is consistently straddled with an Oilers level supporting cast.

Seath The Scaleless and AreBe like this.
  8. slozo

slozo Registered User

Why would you assume I'm joking?
    Do you realise how hypocritical you are?

9. Bluelines

Bluelines Python FTW!

Clearly you have issue with me supporting a man who is using his celebrity status to benefit society. That is unfortunate.

10. SoCal Leafs

SoCal Leafs Registered User

I like Andi. As a host she's not supposed to be the subject matter expert and her key role is to facilitate discussion, which I think she does well. I don't mind the fact that she's a fan and brings that perspective to the table, it makes for better entertainment that way.

Seath The Scaleless likes this.
  11. Seath The Scaleless

Seath The Scaleless Hanta Yo

Weird thread bump but ok

I think most of us are spoiled by Hayes and his elite skills as a radio host. The bar is so high that when someone (Andi) is miles behind, we tend to think they are very poor at their job. I don't believe anyone can compete with Hayes so I have to take him out of the equation when evaluating other hosts.

Andi is fine. I could do without the random segments of Italian accents, but generally I have enjoyed her as a host.

What brings the show down to a daycare level is the combination of Gord and Craig. It's basically childish bickering, especially with Craig's naturally loud voice, while Gord is pulling alleged interactions with league executives out of his ass. I know it's up to the host to steer the show in the right direction, but I can imagine the difficulty in trying to tame those two clowns. I'm fine with any other co-host combinations.

12. Zizzzzy

Zizzzzy Registered User

Biggest problem I have with panelists like Armstrong is hearing him critique the play of guys way better than he ever was. Armstrong is just not far enough removed from his time as a Leaf for me to take him seriously when he analyzes current leafs. Similarly, Burke going off on Dubas (as much as I've always loves listening to that blowhard talk...) as if his tenure was something to remember...

Andy is fine as a host. Button though ...drives me crazy ...

WildWolfdog likes this.
  13. Finnish your Czech

Finnish your Czech João Tavares

Sometimes
    Andi Petrillo is not a good host. Her takes are really bad and she shouldn't mention them.

DoobieDubas and Vintage93 like this.
  14. tmlms13

tmlms13 Registered User

student
    I like Andi she is there as a host not expert analysis, don't have unrealistic expectation. What I don't like is how condescending Gord and Craig are when she says something that makes that obvious.

We are still in the era of sports sexism but I do like that they have a show hosted by a female. It tells all the girls listening that you can do this too, just because of your gender and that you didn't play in the NHL you can still host a sports radio show.

15. DoobieDubas

DoobieDubas Legalize Hitting Again

Colby is a brutal commentator but hes a nice guy and actually played pro hockey. Andi is sooo anoying holy and has never actually gave me any insight or knowledge that i already didnt know from playing high level hockey

The Shadow likes this.
  16. NovaLeaf

NovaLeaf Registered User

Retired
    Both suck donkey doodies.

17. Brownbeard

Brownbeard Registered User

Colby Armstrong, easily.

18. Ragnar Lothbrok

Ragnar Lothbrok Registered User

I'm actually surprised at how many people are fans of Hayes, Poulin, and Button - especially the latter two.

Petrillo is okay, just maybe doesn't fit right on the show. Probably also doesn't help that all the guys treat her like their kid sister or worse where they show her contempt. I mean let's be honest here, how many females are hosting their own sports programs on Canadian Radio stations. TSN does some weird things anyways, like putting Beirness on the CFL Thursday Night Panel - her only real interest is basketball, so keeping her on Raps on TSN makes sense.

Colby Armstrong isn't really a good media personality, but he's better than Corey Hircsh lol. I love Burke on Sportsnet panel, tells it like it is, and is also very informative.

On a side note, I'd like to see Patrick O'Sullivan find another spot up here, I thought he was great when he was on Leafs Lunch with Petrillo.

19. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered User

I think Petrillo is horrible. Takes forever to make a point and seems to just love to hear herself talk

Anytime I’m watching a video on TSN.ca I fast forward past her as much as I can.

DoobieDubas likes this.
  20. AreBe

AreBe Registered User

Sort of sorry for the bump on this post, but what we need to dread is the wall to wall coverage of bags of pucks being traded for bags of tape on non- newsworthy trade deadline day - Andi, Bobcat, all of them if they go on and on about the non-happenings, we should equally condemn

It's not Andi's fault that she seems locked into Leafs Street, Leafs Beat, Leafs Meet, and Leafs Retreat and is surrounded by kind of sort of condescending hockey insiders, I sort of get sick of it, man.

The horror on the way, in the Analytics/ (and I do mean divided by) Salary Cap era, is that it is far more difficult to make trades and next to impossible to win them, and experience round the clock non - breaking news makes for horrible radio and TV, I'd rather look at a wall, watching dried phlegm .

If a GM is instructed to win the trade and not have a saw off or an equal bargain, then you are stuck dealing with (1) a desperate team fixing a need to win now, or (2) an idiot GM. Note the second condition may be the cause of the first, so again, trades are really unlikely. At least there is a fighting chance of breaking the hockey, hockey, hockey with some basketball and baseball talk on the Fan.

21. gtforepro

gtforepro Registered User

Affiliate Marketing
    Home Page:
    I don't mind either of them. I might be blinded a bit though as Andi is right up my alley.

22. nsleaf

nsleaf Registered User

In other words she is smart despite being beautiful?? :help:

23. slozo

slozo Registered User

You really need help with that point? Really?

Take out the words "despite being ", replace it with "and".

24. Habs10025

Habs10025 Registered User

Andi as the host is fine the problem is having Gord Miller and Craig Button as the so called experts they seem to believe their always right and never wrong . Showing her no respect even being ignorant towards her at times treating her like she knows nothing .

The show would function so much better if they were replaced by Dave Poulin and Mike Johnson permanently both have a point of view as former players in the NHL and someone who was also in management as Poulin was in the past . Both seem to be open minded and at least try to understand another point of view and show Andi respect when they disagree with her.

Andi , with Poulin , Johnson .

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019 at 2:11 PM
  25. WilliamNylander

WilliamNylander 6’3 everyday

They both suck.

Hayes is so far ahead of everyone else on the radio. I’m sure if we didn’t have OverDrive I’d listen to LL or some other radio show, but the drop off is significant when compared to Hayes, Noodles, and O. They just have great chemistry.