OT: Which is worse: Andi Petrillo (TSN) or Colby Armstrong (HC)

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Good god man,whats wrong with you?

Landsberg is reaching out to other people with mental illness, if the use of his platform helps one person, it's time well used.

If you don't like his whiny voice, why listen to his show?

Just a disgusting post by you.

I think he's entitled to that opinion, without being deemed a cold-hearted jerk.
It is sports radio, that's what it is supposed to be, anyways. I'll be honest with you, I listen to other channels on that Bell Let's Talk day . . . not because I don't care about people with mental illness or depression issues . . . but for the plain fact of, I listen to the sports talk radio to list to sports talk. Period.

Everyone as a consumer is entitled to want to listen to actual sports talk when tuning into ESPN radio.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I think he's entitled to that opinion, without being deemed a cold-hearted jerk.
It is sports radio, that's what it is supposed to be, anyways. I'll be honest with you, I listen to other channels on that Bell Let's Talk day . . . not because I don't care about people with mental illness or depression issues . . . but for the plain fact of, I listen to the sports talk radio to list to sports talk. Period.

Everyone as a consumer is entitled to want to listen to actual sports talk when tuning into ESPN radio.

Yep everyone is entitled to lack empathy and be heartless, its the beauty of living in Canada.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I kind of think it is a group of hockey insiders putting Andi down

I sort of wonder if Andi is getting a hard time because of the 'eye-candy for TV ' issue and thus not credible, which is not her fault, but maybe if she were a man like Armstrong, the hockey insiders would treat her with more respect, at least like some drinking- buddy bloke

In defense of both Andi and Armstrong- everyday is a slow news day if MLSE has the PR professionals doing their effective "Nothing to see here- we'll call you when we do some charity thing. Remember: We're trying really hard to win in all areas of the game and in life with this good bunch of men, the other team is really good too, and we give 110%! " the point is to make the on- air people say something positive or nothing at all, which really makes any journalist frown

I have no idea, is Andi a real deal journalist too? I don't read the Hockey News, but I am also not a host on Leafs Lunch, but one would expect Andi is expected to read up on the talking points, and say that she got the info from whatever journal, and credited it, they would attack her for not having her own opinion , but in any event, at a minimum, she needs to be prepared, even if it is unpaid work, and she needs to set that "You're just eye candy for TV!"theory on fire, and clear the air, and clear away the smoke!

My answer to that is Jennifer Hedger.
On a scale of hotness, especially ten years ago, I put Hedger at #1 for me, she's a gorgeous woman, total package.

She also is extremely intelligent on sports, and she really knows her stuff - can easily compete with the most knowledgeable males in this regard, and her beauty didn't stop me from seeing that.

Andi isn't nearly as attractive to me personally, btw.

I think Petrillo is a fan of sports, and likes sports; but this business is competitive and current, and you have to be knees deep into it every day to keep up. Some people do the work, and some don't. A guy like Hayes is not only is intelligent, but you can tell that he does a lot of homework to stay updated on all of the issues of the day.

Reactions: AreBe

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Andi is better on television than on radio. The structure from scripted questions and answers is her wheelhouse. Radio not so much.

I think this is a pretty accurate distinction. Her work on the Olympics, soccer, TSN panel, and back in the day when she started out on LeafsTV, is (was) very good.

I don't overly mind her on the radio, but she can come across as a high school girl at times.

Reactions: AreBe

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
It's Andi Petrillo. She is uninformed about all things hockey and she is constantly called out by her co-workers. Craig and Gord constantly challenge her on relatively basic hockey facts and clearly don't have a high level of respect for her. She makes Leaf's Lunch a joke.

Yeah thats a pretty good example of Craig and Gord being gigantic tools. Leafs Lunch is bad as a whole but Andi is consistently straddled with an Oilers level supporting cast.

SoCal Leafs

Jul 1, 2018
So Cal
I like Andi. As a host she's not supposed to be the subject matter expert and her key role is to facilitate discussion, which I think she does well. I don't mind the fact that she's a fan and brings that perspective to the table, it makes for better entertainment that way.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Weird thread bump but ok

I think most of us are spoiled by Hayes and his elite skills as a radio host. The bar is so high that when someone (Andi) is miles behind, we tend to think they are very poor at their job. I don't believe anyone can compete with Hayes so I have to take him out of the equation when evaluating other hosts.

Andi is fine. I could do without the random segments of Italian accents, but generally I have enjoyed her as a host.

What brings the show down to a daycare level is the combination of Gord and Craig. It's basically childish bickering, especially with Craig's naturally loud voice, while Gord is pulling alleged interactions with league executives out of his ass. I know it's up to the host to steer the show in the right direction, but I can imagine the difficulty in trying to tame those two clowns. I'm fine with any other co-host combinations.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Biggest problem I have with panelists like Armstrong is hearing him critique the play of guys way better than he ever was. Armstrong is just not far enough removed from his time as a Leaf for me to take him seriously when he analyzes current leafs. Similarly, Burke going off on Dubas (as much as I've always loves listening to that blowhard talk...) as if his tenure was something to remember...

Andy is fine as a host. Button though ...drives me crazy ...

Reactions: WildWolfdog

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I like Andi she is there as a host not expert analysis, don't have unrealistic expectation. What I don't like is how condescending Gord and Craig are when she says something that makes that obvious.

We are still in the era of sports sexism but I do like that they have a show hosted by a female. It tells all the girls listening that you can do this too, just because of your gender and that you didn't play in the NHL you can still host a sports radio show.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Colby is a brutal commentator but hes a nice guy and actually played pro hockey. Andi is sooo anoying holy and has never actually gave me any insight or knowledge that i already didnt know from playing high level hockey

Reactions: The Shadow

member 300185

I used to tune-in to both Hockey Central and Leafs Lunch. I would download each podcast if I missed the show. Now I can't stand either one. Andi Petrillo is really flat as a broadcaster, and Colby Armstrong is a not so funny co-host of Hockey Central. I can understand why TSN might have Andi doing the show, but I cannot for the life of me understand why HC has Colby Armstrong. He has never completed a sentence to this date. He just sort of laughs at all the others' jokes.

Both are bad, and I know most of you will agree with me.

Which one is worse to you?

Just curious.
Both suck donkey doodies.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
I'm actually surprised at how many people are fans of Hayes, Poulin, and Button - especially the latter two.

Petrillo is okay, just maybe doesn't fit right on the show. Probably also doesn't help that all the guys treat her like their kid sister or worse where they show her contempt. I mean let's be honest here, how many females are hosting their own sports programs on Canadian Radio stations. TSN does some weird things anyways, like putting Beirness on the CFL Thursday Night Panel - her only real interest is basketball, so keeping her on Raps on TSN makes sense.

Colby Armstrong isn't really a good media personality, but he's better than Corey Hircsh lol. I love Burke on Sportsnet panel, tells it like it is, and is also very informative.

On a side note, I'd like to see Patrick O'Sullivan find another spot up here, I thought he was great when he was on Leafs Lunch with Petrillo.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
I think Petrillo is horrible. Takes forever to make a point and seems to just love to hear herself talk

Anytime I’m watching a video on TSN.ca I fast forward past her as much as I can.

Reactions: DoobieDubas

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Andi Petrillo is not a good host. Her takes are really bad and she shouldn't mention them.

I think Petrillo is horrible. Takes forever to make a point and seems to just love to hear herself talk

Anytime I’m watching a video on TSN.ca I fast forward past her as much as I can.

Sort of sorry for the bump on this post, but what we need to dread is the wall to wall coverage of bags of pucks being traded for bags of tape on non- newsworthy trade deadline day - Andi, Bobcat, all of them if they go on and on about the non-happenings, we should equally condemn

It's not Andi's fault that she seems locked into Leafs Street, Leafs Beat, Leafs Meet, and Leafs Retreat and is surrounded by kind of sort of condescending hockey insiders, I sort of get sick of it, man.

The horror on the way, in the Analytics/ (and I do mean divided by) Salary Cap era, is that it is far more difficult to make trades and next to impossible to win them, and experience round the clock non - breaking news makes for horrible radio and TV, I'd rather look at a wall, watching dried phlegm .

If a GM is instructed to win the trade and not have a saw off or an equal bargain, then you are stuck dealing with (1) a desperate team fixing a need to win now, or (2) an idiot GM. Note the second condition may be the cause of the first, so again, trades are really unlikely. At least there is a fighting chance of breaking the hockey, hockey, hockey with some basketball and baseball talk on the Fan.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
My answer to that is Jennifer Hedger.
On a scale of hotness, especially ten years ago, I put Hedger at #1 for me, she's a gorgeous woman, total package.

She also is extremely intelligent on sports, and she really knows her stuff - can easily compete with the most knowledgeable males in this regard, and her beauty didn't stop me from seeing that.

Andi isn't nearly as attractive to me personally, btw.

I think Petrillo is a fan of sports, and likes sports; but this business is competitive and current, and you have to be knees deep into it every day to keep up. Some people do the work, and some don't. A guy like Hayes is not only is intelligent, but you can tell that he does a lot of homework to stay updated on all of the issues of the day.

In other words she is smart despite being beautiful?? :help:

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Andi as the host is fine the problem is having Gord Miller and Craig Button as the so called experts they seem to believe their always right and never wrong . Showing her no respect even being ignorant towards her at times treating her like she knows nothing .

The show would function so much better if they were replaced by Dave Poulin and Mike Johnson permanently both have a point of view as former players in the NHL and someone who was also in management as Poulin was in the past . Both seem to be open minded and at least try to understand another point of view and show Andi respect when they disagree with her.

Andi , with Poulin , Johnson .

Last edited:

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
They both suck.

Hayes is so far ahead of everyone else on the radio. I’m sure if we didn’t have OverDrive I’d listen to LL or some other radio show, but the drop off is significant when compared to Hayes, Noodles, and O. They just have great chemistry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad