OT: Which is worse: Andi Petrillo (TSN) or Colby Armstrong (HC)

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Andi is the host, she's not supposed to contribute much. But the entire show is for entertainment anyways, it's not like Button (besides the draft) or Jeff O'Neil provide anything substantive most of the time.

I could probably live without Colby. I liked Mike Johnson a fair bit as a play-by-play/analyst type.

I reject the notion that an uninformed host or a modestly informed host of a particular event/show is more entertaining than a host that demonstrates expert knowledge of any given subject despite the push to insist as much.

George Strombolopolous was a good host. He proved it on MM, on his CBC talk show...but he was clearly miscast for HNIC despite the corporate decision to insist otherwise. Andi Petrillo is a tick away from Strombolopolous cringe-worthiness under the same consideration set.

Entertainment? I guess. But one consolation of what passes for entertainment that for most I suspect falls into mindless activity/distraction (and valued about as much by some of corporate) is that there remains a few options out there that provide relevant information presented by knowledgeable men who value the game and invest the kind of time that demonstrates it to an equally invested fanbase.

If a host of a particular event/show isn't expected to contribute much - and by contribution I take it contribution refers to specific supplemental knowledge - then there should be something other and exceptional that the presenter should bring. One might say, Andi Petrillo's value at this point is familiarity is it not? Familiarity on the heels (no pun intended) of having been made familiar.

Call me antiquated, but the notion of having Joy Behar host a press conference on Space X's newest technology is about as relevant...With the only exception of having reporters repeatedly note Behar's resemblance to ALF and in that perhaps her presence might serve some consistent thematic purpose.

Similarly, AP just doesn't fit, and every conversation attempting to find a fit for her feels like an exercise of deformed charity. Because in charity there's a goal to help the less fortunate. And by every measure, the mediocrity that is AP feels like someone whose getting more for less while never appearing to ever care to justify it. And it's that absence of contribution - given her time in the field - that feels more like an abundance of arrogance rather than an accidental absence of ability. And haven't we had enough of every kind of personality (or thing) like that? I know I have.

Reactions: AreBe and slozo

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Andi turns into a fangirl/valleygirl from time to time. And the Italian shit, sorry IDGAF for it.

Maybe that was overtheline, I dunno. Mike Weaver also sucks, badly. Chioto or however its spelled is ok, he at least has a good grasp on a lot of statistics.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Both are head and shoulders above listening to Landsbergs whiny voice taking endlesslly about depression.

I feel for anyone suffering with any type of mental illness but I don't need to listen to someone talk about it constantly on a sports radio show.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I reject the notion that an uninformed host or a modestly informed host of a particular event/show is more entertaining than a host that demonstrates expert knowledge of any given subject despite the push to insist as much.

George Strombolopolous was a good host. He proved it on MM, on his CBC talk show...but he was clearly miscast for HNIC despite the corporate decision to insist otherwise. Andi Petrillo is a tick away from Strombolopolous cringe-worthiness under the same consideration set.

Entertainment? I guess. But one consolation of what passes for entertainment that for most I suspect falls into mindless activity/distraction (and valued about as much by some of corporate) is that there remains a few options out there that provide relevant information presented by knowledgeable men who value the game and invest the kind of time that demonstrates it to an equally invested fanbase.

If a host of a particular event/show isn't expected to contribute much - and by contribution I take it contribution refers to specific supplemental knowledge - then there should be something other and exceptional that the presenter should bring. One might say, Andi Petrillo's value at this point is familiarity is it not? Familiarity on the heels (no pun intended) of having been made familiar.

Call me antiquated, but the notion of having Joy Behar host a press conference on Space X's newest technology is about as relevant...With the only exception of having reporters repeatedly note Behar's resemblance to ALF and in that perhaps her presence might serve some consistent thematic purpose.

Similarly, AP just doesn't fit, and every conversation attempting to find a fit for her feels like an exercise of deformed charity. Because in charity there's a goal to help the less fortunate. And by every measure, the mediocrity that is AP feels like someone whose getting more for less while never appearing to ever care to justify it. And it's that absence of contribution - given her time in the field - that feels more like an abundance of arrogance rather than an accidental absence of ability. And haven't we had enough of every kind of personality (or thing) like that? I know I have.

Well said.

And just to add a point I thought of while reading your post . . . I can actually imagine a scenario where her level of knowledge/sports acumen were acceptable. Say she's as witty and smart as a Dennis Miller type . . . hey, I dig it. Super funny, great quips, doesn't quite have the knowledge chops but knows when to step aside.

But you've gotta have SOMETHING. And even when it's a TV host or hostess who doesn't have knowledge but looks like a supermodel (never happens for guys BTW as they always need the knowledge part) . . . hey, I get it! You get more viewers by bowing to the lowest common denominator and showing that leg/cleavage, I get it. Makes sense! But on radio . . . ?!? Nuhn unh.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I

Disagree. I dont think Andi is there only for gender diversity or because she attractive. Shes there because TSN has a lack of really good radio talent.

I dont particularly like Andi for reasons I have stated above, but shes as good as most of the rest of TSN radios talent. Id rather listen to her then Gareth Wheeler or Matt Cauz for example.

Gareth Wheeler is way more intelligent, c'mon.
Matt Cauz I truly dislike, but he's got a schtick, he's surprisingly sports articulate when needed, he just comes off as a sports-tard because of his whole wine drinker, can't pronounce names disarming persona.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Colby would be OK to have a beer with and talk locker room stories. On air he is horrible. Andi makes no appologies for being a fan of the Leafs and is not a typical impartial onair personality. She gets great guests and co hosts and they all seem to respect her which makes her the winner in this poll.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's Andi Petrillo. She is uninformed about all things hockey and she is constantly called out by her co-workers. Craig and Gord constantly challenge her on relatively basic hockey facts and clearly don't have a high level of respect for her. She makes Leaf's Lunch a joke.

I find it so odd that TSN had such a successful thing going with Hayes, O'Dog and McLellan doing Leafs Lunch, and then just turned it on it's head.

Like, i get the 4-6 spot is technically a promotion for the guys, but Leafs Lunch worked so well with them.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Only ones I care to listen to on TV or radio are Mike Johnson, Craig Button and Doug Maclean. Sometimes Kipper brings some good insight as well, but he's not as consistent.

Most "experts" and analysts aren't worth much. If you want to challenge that, wait until betting is big business for the NHL and have these same people give you their predictions for games. See if you follow their picks or not.

For any of us who do sports betting, you will appreciate the differences between the insight and delivery of that insight. Every small, and very importantly, objective detail counts. Some in this business are ideologues with little value.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
It's Andi Petrillo. She is uninformed about all things hockey and she is constantly called out by her co-workers. Craig and Gord constantly challenge her on relatively basic hockey facts and clearly don't have a high level of respect for her. She makes Leaf's Lunch a joke.
To be fair Craig and Gord would call you out if you said the sky was blue. If they could stop talking about themselves long enough to notice.

Reactions: Zizzzzy and AreBe

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013

I kind of think it is a group of hockey insiders putting Andi down

I sort of wonder if Andi is getting a hard time because of the 'eye-candy for TV ' issue and thus not credible, which is not her fault, but maybe if she were a man like Armstrong, the hockey insiders would treat her with more respect, at least like some drinking- buddy bloke

In defense of both Andi and Armstrong- everyday is a slow news day if MLSE has the PR professionals doing their effective "Nothing to see here- we'll call you when we do some charity thing. Remember: We're trying really hard to win in all areas of the game and in life with this good bunch of men, the other team is really good too, and we give 110%! " the point is to make the on- air people say something positive or nothing at all, which really makes any journalist frown

I have no idea, is Andi a real deal journalist too? I don't read the Hockey News, but I am also not a host on Leafs Lunch, but one would expect Andi is expected to read up on the talking points, and say that she got the info from whatever journal, and credited it, they would attack her for not having her own opinion , but in any event, at a minimum, she needs to be prepared, even if it is unpaid work, and she needs to set that "You're just eye candy for TV!"theory on fire, and clear the air, and clear away the smoke!

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Andi and Colby are both equally bad. I just can't warm up to either of the two.

neversaydie

Apr 6, 2016
Mississauga
Andi only does these really misinformed hot takes. Like shes basically reading trade proposals from HF boards on there. Ive soured over her recently, always brining up hypothetical trade scenarios.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Andi is professional, well spoken and well informed. Colby is a clown...not suited for TV, probably great in the locker room.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Both are head and shoulders above listening to Landsbergs whiny voice taking endlesslly about depression.

I feel for anyone suffering with any type of mental illness but I don't need to listen to someone talk about it constantly on a sports radio show.

Good god man,whats wrong with you?

Landsberg is reaching out to other people with mental illness, if the use of his platform helps one person, it's time well used.

If you don't like his whiny voice, why listen to his show?

Just a disgusting post by you.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->