Speculation: Which goalie will Carolina claim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
100% go Pickard. That guy got jerked around last year with being placed in the minors for depth. He can be a middle of the road #1. Better than Darling imo.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Hopefully if Mac gets waived, I hope Carolina claims him. It would be nice to see him walk into a starting role.

Pickard and McElhinney were both waived.

If I were Carolina, I'd take a serious look at Pickard. His career NHL save % is 0.913, and aside from one game that's exclusively playing for Colorado during their non-playoff years. He's also only 26 years old.

His value took a hit after he took on the full starters role with Colorado in 2016-2017... but Colorado finished with 48 points that season. I'm pretty sure people were talking about them that season as one of the worst non-expansion teams in NHL history. So yea, he had a 0.904 save % that season, but given the context (first year as a starter on a terrible team), I think it's pretty understandable. Varlamov by comparison had a 0.898 save% that season through 24 games, so not an overly small sample size.

I think he could be a Reimer/Bernier type of 1B backup. If he's on a half-decent team, I'd expect a ~0.915 save % with the ability to play ~30-40 games. I was actually hoping the Leafs would keep him over the other two.

Last edited:

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Of the Leafs goalies McBackup will give you 15-20 very solid games through the season.

Pickard is more of a wild card, could be a good 1B goalie

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Wings will trade you Howard and you can go with a 1-2 punch of Howard/Mrazek :naughty:

I like the way you think! Just think, Howard can steal the starters spot during the season, and then get hurt, and then Mrazek can get hot and get the Canes into the first round, where Petr will be hot but they still lose in 7 games.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Well one thing is for sure, it's beyond too late to bring in Cam Ward. Unless... perhaps, Carolina traded for him. :sarcasm:

Nedeljkovic though should be backing up. Still has the potential to be a starter one day.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
As others have mentioned, they could just run with Mrazek an Nedeljkovic, but if they claim someone, I assume it would be Pickard or McBackup from TOR rather than Antoine Bibeau in CAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad